PDA

View Full Version : Will this work?

Shark1959
01-08-2014, 06:23 PM
I have two questions:

First:

I currently have a VS 9000 connected to a single feed from a diseqc switch and I want to connect a second receiver, a CNX Nano 2 (converted to an iLink) using the "Loop Out" option of the VS.

If I was to take an RG6 cable from the "Loop Out" of the VS 9000 in the attached photo and connected it to the "Sat In" of the Nano 2, also in the attached, would this work?

I know will only be able to use one receiver at a time and the other will be shut off.

Secondly:

If the above is possible, could I then use the "TV/VCR" coax connection of the Nano 2 and feed this to a TV? Thanks for your replies.

Cheers :)

Shark1959

jvvh5897
01-08-2014, 08:21 PM
I've found that it can be chancy to use the IF out of one box to go to another if you don't block the DC voltages. Some boxes don't play well with others and the connection can blow a box's disque sw control transistor or the V/H voltage control or the input amp of the tuner.

1boxman
01-08-2014, 08:27 PM
Just to add...if it does work with those 2..I have had it work myself with 2 sd box's...the only thing is only one will work at a time ..plus you need to shut one off for to work proper .

If you want to run 2 receivers ..and both work...just get a switch ...much safer and no problems .

Shark1959
01-09-2014, 12:13 AM
I've found that it can be chancy to use the IF out of one box to go to another if you don't block the DC voltages. Some boxes don't play well with others and the connection can blow a box's disque sw control transistor or the V/H voltage control or the input amp of the tuner.

Thanks Jvvh, my plan was to use only one receiver at a time and the one not being used would be switched off via the rear A/C switch. Would your statement still hold true if only one receiver was used at a time?

Originally posted by1boxman

Just to add...if it does work with those 2..I have had it work myself with 2 sd box's...the only thing is only one will work at a time ..plus you need to shut one off for to work proper .

If you want to run 2 receivers ..and both work...just get a switch ...much safer and no problems .

I only want to run one receiver at a time, as I only have one RG6 coming to my entertainment area. What I'm trying to get around is having to connect and disconnect the coax cable every time I want to use the other receiver. Wouldn't I need a second feed coming to the second receiver if I was to go the switch route? What switch would I use? Would the current Diseqc switch also remain in place?

Sorry for all the questions, I just don't want to fry anything for no reason. Better to ask questions than make stupid mistakes.

Thanks again.

Shark1959

1boxman
01-09-2014, 01:24 PM
Another cheat way is to use a AB switch .

Angel Eyes
01-09-2014, 01:34 PM
will work...but...nano will use whatever sat you vs is on..the both have to be on the same sat...and transponder...

nunoit
01-09-2014, 02:46 PM
shark1959 if you don't run another cable with a Diseqc switch for the other receiver then just go with an a/b switch just make sure you power down first the quick change of some switches could short your receivers output.

Shark1959
01-09-2014, 03:37 PM
shark1959 if you don't run another cable with a Diseqc switch for the other receiver then just go with an a/b switch just make sure you power down first the quick change of some switches could short your receivers output.

Thanks for the info, this is something I've pondered in the past and thought would work, if only one receiver was used at a time.

Shark1959

Shark1959
01-10-2014, 01:49 AM
Hey guys would there be any issues using the Nano 2's "TV/VCR" coax connection and feed this to the TV for a picture? Thanks.

Shark1959

Terryl
01-10-2014, 02:05 AM
Hey guys would there be any issues using the Nano 2's "TV/VCR" coax connection and feed this to the TV for a picture? Thanks.

Shark1959

Only if the TV is an old one, the TV/VCR output is the old analog signal, so the TV set would have to be able to receive that type of signal, no one puts out an ATSC signal. (digital) (yet)

Shark1959
01-10-2014, 03:24 AM
Only if the TV is an old one, the TV/VCR output is the old analog signal, so the TV set would have to be able to receive that type of signal, no one puts out an ATSC signal. (digital) (yet)

What I have is an old 13" TV in my kitchen that only has a coax feed to it for cable TV. Recently Shaw cable has now made it so you can no longer receive the basic channels without one of their digital boxes in my area. The coaxial feed originates two floors up in my main entertainment area for this TV and what I'm wanting to do is use the CNX to push the sat feed down the coax cable to the kitchen, so I can once again watch the morning and nightly news on the small TV again. That's all I would use it for, as I have the VS 9000 and sound system for my main viewing upstairs.

Shark1959

Terryl
01-10-2014, 03:38 AM
Why not get an analog to digital converter box for that TV and watch off air local channels?

But it will work they way you mentioned also.

Shark1959
01-10-2014, 04:46 AM
Why not get an analog to digital converter box for that TV and watch off air local channels?

But it will work they way you mentioned also.

I live in a mountainous area outside the city and I'm not sure I would get anything off air in the way of local channels though it would be interesting to find out and might just do it. I know the Sat receiver would do the trick though and it won't cost me anything. :)

Shark1959

Terryl
01-10-2014, 06:43 AM
Go to the link below, enter your address, it will give you a report on whats available in your area, you can post the report link back here so I can take a look at it, but make it a dead link. (like this, hXXp://www.tvfool.com)

www.tvfool.com

The report will not give away your exact location.

Shark1959
01-13-2014, 10:36 PM
Go to the link below, enter your address, it will give you a report on whats available in your area, you can post the report link back here so I can take a look at it, but make it a dead link. (like this, hXXp://www.tvfool.com)

www.tvfool.com

The report will not give away your exact location.

Thanks for that Terryl, I checked and it only showed me three channels and they didn't appear to be very strong.

It was a busy weekend as the other half had me renovating the laundry room, so it took all my time.

Last night I finally had some time to get back to my hobby and I got the converted Nano2 to iLink configured, connected a coax to the TV/VCR output from receiver and fed it to the coax connection that runs to the TV in the kitchen and it works perfectly. Yippeee Thank you.

Next question would there be any issues if I were to use the Component out of the Nano2 receiver at the same time to the feed the TV in the entertainment area where the receiver is? Where by I'd be feeding the two TV's with the one receiver with the one channel at the same time?

Lastly as mentioned earlier, I used to have Shaw cable for basic cable until they changed the game and made it so you needed to use a digital box if you still wanted to receive cable. If this next option would work, it would be even better and negate the above question. If I was to feed the existing powered coax splitter with the output feed from the receivers TV/VCR connection, so that all TV's that were once connected via the cable, could now have TV again.
I realize if I wanted to change channels, I'd have to go to where the receiver is to do so.

I just don't want to overload the receiver and blow something, if that's even a possibility, hence the questions. :) Thanks again.

Shark1959

skywalker999
01-14-2014, 11:07 PM
connecting one receiver to two tv's i don't think that would cause any problem i have already done that and it works, and also info out to sat in to another receiver that also should not be a problem done that also and both receivers were turned on no need to shut one of for the other one to work but the catch is you can only tune in the channels on the same transponder if the main receiver is on horizontal transponder then your stuck with the channels on the horizontal transponders and if you want to see a channel that's on a vertical tp you have to change the main receiver to a vertical tp

Shark1959
01-14-2014, 11:43 PM
Skywalker999 Posted.........also info out to sat in to another receiver that also should not be a problem done that also and both receivers were turned on no need to shut one of for the other one to work

What two receivers were you using to do this? So you used the one sat feed from your dish to the input of the first receiver and used the loop out feature of that first receiver to the input of the second receiver?

Shark1959

Shark1959
01-15-2014, 07:28 PM
Hey Guys:

I connected the Nano2 receiver using both the TV/VCR output for the TV in the kitchen, as well as the Component output for my main TV and both TV's displayed a perfect picture simultaneously. Tonight I will run the TV/VCR output to the powered splitter and see how the picture is on the other TV's that are connected to it.

Quote Originally Posted by jvvh5897

Thanks Jvvh, my plan was to use only one receiver at a time and the one not being used would be switched off via the rear A/C switch. Would your statement still hold true if only one receiver was used at a time?

Only having one Sat in available to me I've decided to use the Nano2 as my primary receiver (figured it made more sense than using the VS as the primary, seeing that it requires a PC to operate) and use the "Loop Out" option to feed the Sat-in for VS9000, should I ever want to watch anything in HD. I understand from reading and asking questions that the unit not being used has to be shut off prior or damage could result. This would not be a problem for how I want to use the set-up and would work perfectly for me.

Shark1959

skywalker999
01-16-2014, 02:17 AM
the most recent that i remember was one pansat 2500 clone as main receiver and i connected info out to an nfusion sd receiver sat in turned on both receivers and they were working on sat 97W fta but they were tuned to the same channel do

jvvh5897
01-16-2014, 06:37 PM
I think you would be OK with only 1 box on at a time--but you know about Murphy, yes? If something can go wrong, it will. One day you forget and turn on the 2nd box and ....
You can have trouble if the two boxes are on diff AC lines as well, even if the box's are not both on--that should be no trouble if you plug in the same outlet, but there is Murphy again.
We can't know how the boxes will work.