PDA

View Full Version : I think I fried my box with the power inserter

Harry Baules
01-17-2014, 12:07 AM
Equipment: Dish 1000.2
FTA: Conaxsat Nano 2

I've been reading a lot about how to properly connect the power inserter. I should've read it BEFORE i connected it the wrong way. Anyhow, I connected my nano2 inline with the power inserter. Everything worked fine for about 5 minutes and then all of a sudden no picture. My box still powers up and appears to be working. But I get no picture. What kind of damage could i have caused to the box? Is it repairable?

Another question I have for future reference: Is is absolutely mandatory that the power inserter go into port 1 on the switch/lnb? What if I can't get on my roof to make sure which line is port 1? Is there another way to tell? What can happen if I plug the receiver into 1 and the power inserter into 2?

Terryl
01-17-2014, 12:39 AM
Yes receiver port 1 on the switch is the only port on the switch that will take the DC power from the DC power inserter, the other ports may take it for a bit of time but they are not setup to do so for an extended period.

The input load on the DC power inserter is setup for a Dish receiver and not an FTA receiver, the dish receiver detects the DPP switch power inserter and shuts off the DC power from the receiver, FTA receivers do not do this.

Why you do not have a picture is a mystery, check the LNB input port to see if you have a DC voltage of 12.5 to 14.5 or 17.5 to 19 volts DC, if you have anything outside those voltages (11 volts is no good, 22 volts is no good, 16 volts is no good) your receivers tuner may be FUBAR.

Usually the #1 receiver was located in the living room, or where the main TV was located, if your not sure then on the roof is the only way.

One way to check this is with a DVM that has a continuity buzzer on it and an alligator clip jumper, first power off all receivers and power inserters, then go up on the roof and remove the connector on the #1 port of the switch, clip the jumper from the center conductor to the outside of the coax connector on the coax, go down to the living room and check the coax in that room, if you get a buzz then that's the correct place for the power inserter.

If you don't get a buzz then run around and check all other coaxes.

Harry Baules
01-18-2014, 02:45 AM
Thanks Terryl. You are very knowledgeable. I've read your comments in other posts. But I'm happy to report that it was a FALSE ALARM!!! We had an ECM yesterday just as i hooked up my receiver. My receiver is back to normal. I'm hoping I didn't cause any permanent damage. From now on I will follow your advice.