PDA

View Full Version : Van Der Garde Takes On Test Role For Sauber

bigbadbrother
01-21-2014, 10:39 PM
Giedo van der Garde has joined Sauber as test and reserve driver, and the Dutchman has been guaranteed some Friday sessions and in-season tests as part of the deal.

Van der Garde was not able to conclude a deal to race for Caterham, presumably for commercial reasons.

Sauber team boss Monisha Kaltenborn said: “He has four years experience in GP2 and he drove one year in Formula One. These are good credentials to work successfully with our team. Many times Giedo has shown his talent as a race driver. At the same time, the team would like to support him to further develop his skills. Giedo has the right attitude to take the next step forward.”

Van der Garde added: “I consider this an important step in my career. It is my goal to help the team with the development of the new car. But, of course, I am a racing driver, and I want to show the team and everybody else what I am capable of and that I deserve a race seat with the Sauber F1 Team in 2015. After all, my ambition remains unchanged and I am highly motivated to succeed in F1, especially in the long-term.

”I am very thankful to Caterham that they gave me a chance to get a taste of F1. I enjoyed a fantastic season with the team and I have learned a lot. The experience gained will surely help me during the rest of my career.”