PDA

View Full Version : Memo Gidley undergoes surgery, remains hospitalized

bigbadbrother
01-28-2014, 08:53 PM
The GAINSCO/Bob Stallings Racing team has issued a new update on Memo Gidley, who was injured in an accident Saturday at the Rolex 24 at Daytona:

“Memo Gidley underwent surgery late yesterday to repair and stabilize the fracture in his lower back. He continues to be monitored and evaluated at Halifax Health in Daytona Beach, Florida. We will continue to provide updates as they are available.”

Yesterday, the other driver involved in the accident, Risi Competizione’s Matteo Malucelli, was released from the hospital and returned home to Florida.

Those who have seen Gidley in hospital have said he is in good spirits. Here’s tweets from Gidley’s three co-drivers in the No. 99 GAINSCO “Red Dragon” Corvette DP, Alex Gurney, Jon Fogarty and Darren Law:

bigbadbrother
02-07-2014, 12:22 AM
This story broke last night but it’s good news nonetheless. Memo Gidley, who was injured in a serious accident at this year’s Rolex 24 at Daytona, has been released from Halifax Health in Daytona Beach, Fla. and was medically transported by air to his home in Northern California.

The release follows three surgeries after the accident. On the day of the accident itself, Jan. 25, he had surgery to repair a broken left leg and left elbow, and endured a lengthy surgery to repair a compression fracture in his lower back on Monday, Jan. 27. The final surgery was completed on Friday, Jan. 31 to repair a fracture in his left heel. He has spent the days following his final surgery resting and gathering strength for the medical transport across the country.

“I’m extremely happy and relieved to see Memo taking the next step in his recovery process,” team owner Bob Stallings said in a release. “Memo has been stabilized enough so he can make the flight to northern California and be transferred to another medical facility which has a very capable protocol for handling the types of injuries and recovery process that Memo requires. The doctors and nurses from Halifax have done a terrific job in getting him to this point, and I know that Memo is appreciative of it and everything that has been done on his behalf.”

Gidley also had a statement from the team release, as he begins the next phase of his recovery.

“I’ve had great care while I have been here at Halifax,” Gidley said. “From the nursing staff to the doctors, I appreciate all they have done for me. I know it will take a while for me to get back on my feet, but I will be working hard for all the fans, friends and family who have been pulling for me since the accident.”

With Gidley’s concern and recovery first and foremost on Stallings’ and the team’s mind, the GAINSCO group has not yet revealed the next phase of its racing plans for 2014. The GAINSCO/Bob Stallings Racing team planned only to race in the Tequila Patron North American Endurance Cup rounds of the TUDOR United SportsCar Championship.