PDA

View Full Version : Hamilton makes it count with second pole

bigbadbrother
03-29-2014, 01:00 PM
Lewis Hamilton made it two poles in two races after overcoming tricky wet conditions in Malaysia, although in the end he was pushed hard by Sebastian Vettel, who took a close second.

“I’m really happy, firstly with the job the team has done and just generally how well we have done throughout the weekend,” said Hamilton. “But today was just incredible, how much it rained before qualifying, and then during the session it was very, very tricky out there I think for everyone. Particularly at the end it was almost impossible to see anything. During my last lap I just couldn’t see a thing behind Hulkenberg. I couldn’t see where the track went, didn’t know where the corners were, when to brake. To start the lap I couldn’t see where Fernando was behind me, so it was impossible to try to get a gap, so I had to bail out.”

Hamilton said he felt more comfortable on the full wet tires that were used later in the session, although he wasn’t able to improve on his final lap in Q3

“I wasn’t really able to drag the most out of the inters and when I got to the extremes it was much easier extract it. I saw where I was losing time and it was very easy to correct it. Obviously my lap at the end, what I qualified on, was obviously not my optimum, not my best lap, it was the first lap. So at the end I kind of just messed it up for myself, I was in an awkward position, I wasn’t able to go get another lap. But naturally I think with the fresh tires there was more grip, so I should have been able to eke out a little bit more time.

Regarding the race he said: Definitely, for myself and for the team the priority is to try to bag as many points, collectively, me and Nico. I think we have a great opportunity, we’ve got a great car and the team’s just performing fantastically right now, so fingers crossed we both see our way through to the finish line.”