PDA

View Full Version : New computer

yorgos
02-19-2010, 04:08 AM
I am a little confused as to what to buy.Many are pointing to Mac no virus issues all around great computer.Can i have some feed back as to the pros and cons.
thanks

hammer10
02-24-2010, 08:23 PM
You will receive many pros and cons from various people but ultimately it comes down to preference and need and how much you want to spend.
Before bying a new computer you need to determined what you will use it for, what programs you will need, etc.
As much as I would like to give you all the pros and cons of each there is not enough server space. Just kidding.

My recommendation is to do alot of reading.

The easiest way to start is to hit Google and type in your question. There's alot of feeback to be found.

I know this is not what you wanted to hear but unfortunately this is a which came first? The chicken or the egg things!

Good luck. ;)

Mavrick
02-24-2010, 09:09 PM
If you plan on doing alot of multi-media work then a Mac would be the better choice, Mac's handle audio, video, editing....ect alot better than a PC.. JMO

zeonbytes
02-25-2010, 02:51 AM
Just a few suggestions
Macs will cost you more than a PC, they are fine but in my opinion not worth the extra money just for the name. For the PC world, try to buy either Corei3 or Corei5 for medium to low workload, Corei7 for gaming and heavy graphics. 4 Gig of ram should be your minimum and 1Tb hard drive is the standard now. Pick the one with ports you need, eSATA, display port, HDMI, USB 3.0 (not too many have them out yet), high definition audio. Pay special attention to the video (onboard for very basic tasks, dedicated video for graphics and games). The video card can make a big difference on overall performance so spend according to your needs. External items I will leave up to you such as the size of the monitor, the type of keyboard, expansion bays on tower case but most people do not know the interior. I would buy a windows7 Pro but you can get away with Windows7 Home as well. Expect to spend between $800- $1200 on the above configured system.

MonsterMinds™
02-25-2010, 12:37 PM
Macs are susseptable to viruses, the main reason why people don't hear about them very often is because they are still not very popular.

Read my friend then when you think you have enough info read some more.

sump
02-25-2010, 01:58 PM
like what another has said ... if you buy a standard out of the box computer then it is cheap PC. BUt if you are going to upgrade it RAM, Video, HD , Nice LCD then u are in the ballpark cost wise as a MAC.

When i bought the mac i brought i home and in about 8 mins i was connected to the internet surfing, that includes taking it out of the box !!

It is ONLY an LCD screen, no other pieces, I did upgrade to wireless mouse and keyboard so the ONLY cord i have is the power cord, everything is built in, Great sound.

It does take a little to get used to as it is a little different with the mouse NO rt and left clicks.

then there is Software ... Mac comes with most of the software you need to do Video and pictures and it is amazing !!

MS office .. for 79$ on a MAC u get word processing, spreadsheets and power point. it is simalar to MS. That was the only software i bought. so i can open veiw and edit MS office things.

I am Microsoft certified Server person. have had PC's for years ... 2 years ago i said i will buy MAC next, 1 year ago i did. BEST thing i ever did. I is SOOO much better than PC. the grafics are ausome .. FAST.

I have rebooted about 10 times in a year.
NO viruses !! YES ... NO

I also run several PC's too.

Go to the apple CORPORATE store ... tell them u are interested in purchasing a MAC .. then report back here.

Soah
03-03-2010, 05:08 AM
Yeah MonsterMinds is right.
In my opinion a PC is way cheaper. As far as virus's go. well that's just a learning curve.
I never get virus' on my MS operating systems. Not an issue.

I think honestly Mac's are good for someone who knows nothing. It is safer. How ever its no different then say a PC running a Linux distro, like Ubuntu. Only main difference is cost.
Problems you will find how ever with Mac and or a Linux distro is one, support from any local computer store and two compatibility of applications/games.

In the End you can break it down to this.
PC - Learn how to not get virus's on MS OS. = Cheaper.
PC - Learn how to use a Linux distoro. = even more Cheaper.
Mac - Learn how to use a Mac = more exp.

So you just need to ask yourself. Which road of learning do you want to take?
You will still get the same results.