PDA

View Full Version : New setup suggestions

music5
04-11-2014, 09:20 PM
Hi Everyone,

I am totally new to this FTA stuff. I have read a lots about FTA set up but I am still not sure about required equipment. There are so many different kind of receivers that one could buy which makes harder for newbie to pick one.

For me this set up is all for hobby and learning purposes so not really into high end and expensive stuff.

So if any of you can answer few questions for me then that will greatly appreciated:

1. What should be the minimum cost of any simple setup?

2. What kind of receiver do I need?

3. Since I need some sort of internet connection for IKS or similar services, do any of the receiver has wireless built into them or do they come with built-in ethernet?

4. Eliptical or circular dish with what kind of LNBs?

Thanks,

whoknows
04-11-2014, 10:06 PM
You have to decide whether you want FTA which does not require internet connection or IKS which does. IKS is used to scoop provider encrypted channels.
Then you have to decide whether you want SD and HD channels or just SD. Knowing that will help you decide what box you want and prices are posted on most sites
We don't know what part of the globe you live so you have to decide on a dish and using dish pointer....c for information on dish size and satellites of interest.
As far as ln b, you can use linear for fta, or legacy. Legacy or dish pro if you are going with iks.
I've hit on a few of your questions briefly but there are "forums" on this site where all of you questions have already been answered. You just have to go to them. good luck

Anubis
04-12-2014, 12:21 AM
Not trying to be smart here but I will follow up later in this post.

1- Free
2- One that accommodates what your needs are.
3- Yes
4- See #2.

1- Receiver-
You want a receiver that offers the latest capabilities for receiving what you want to receive as well as into the future if possible, and not a fly by night company. Not all FTA receivers live up to expectations for true FTA. This is where you need to decide based on research and feedback.
If you want to pirate tv then once again you need to research what's currently available and the feedback of such unit and it's support. Unfortunatly this is where the fly by night units comes into play. Clone units of a particular brand may seem great at first but it doesn't last long so choose carefully.

Price, anywhere from $59-300.

2- Minimum cost-
Once again the free thing comes into play.
Do some driving around for clean up day and you will probably be able to find a dish thrown out. If it is is reasonable shape and hasn't been abused (you can tell, look for bends and warps that are out of whack) and a minimum of 18" then grab it. Anything larger especially a oval is a bonus.
Dishes depending where you live and what you are trying to get start at about $49 and can go up to as much as you want depending on the size and type of dish.

3- Most units today come with both a LAN port as well as USB ports. You can use the USB port with a compatible wireless antenna for wireless hook up or the LAN port for direct hookup to net which is recommended. Once again, check features of receiver for plug in options.

4- Dish -
Once again we are back to what exactly what you are wanting and location so dish size and LNB's as well as switches can be decided upon.

Bottom line is not knowing what sats you are interested in as well as your location it's a crap shoot to really help.
We have tons of info on all aspects so I recommend you spend some time reading what you really need.

Anubis.

music5
04-17-2014, 04:37 PM
Thanks guys for answering my questions.

Yes, I am looking into IKS setup. I have done little more reading and research on this topic.

I know that I have to spend some cash to get this going but I have received/found few items and not sure if these will help me get started:

1. CNX Nano 2 receiver
2. A circular satellite dish (not sure the size) with 1 LNB. I might get another one with from a neighbour and it is an eliptical dish with 2 lnbs. He said that it is 18 inches by 24 inches. It comes with a condition that I have un-installed from off his roof,

Is it really hard to un-install if roof is that high or am I better of buying one?

3. I have read here that I can convert CNX Nano2 to iLink for IKS setup. Does it work after conversion or I am better of buying one?

Thanks,

Terryl
04-17-2014, 05:11 PM
OK if you get the dish with one LNB you will only be able to receive one satellite, the one with 2 LNB's will let you get 2 satellites, if you are in Canada then that would be 82W and 91W, 82W is almost all HD so you would need an HD receiver for that satellite.

If you are in the US and about 150 to 200 miles below the US/Canadian border then the 2 satellites would be 110 and 119, you need the two because the channels on them are split up between them, you would not need an HD receiver for them.