PDA

View Full Version : A.J. Foyt might run Jeff Gordon, Tony Stewart in Indy 500

bigbadbrother
06-05-2014, 10:19 PM
Jerry Bonkowski

Legendary driver-turned-owner A.J. Foyt says he would consider fielding a race car for Jeff Gordon or Tony Stewart – or both – in next year’s Indianapolis 500.

“If (Gordon) wanted to, yes he could do a good job at Indy and if he wanted to, I’d consider it,” Foyt told The Detroit News. “Tony too. I gave Tony his first Indy ride in testing. Definitely I would (consider giving them a seat) because I know they could do the job.”

It would be a milestone 500 for Foyt, who turns 80 next January. The four-time Indy 500 winner would be celebrating his 58th year in racing that year, as well.

One of the reasons Foyt is inspired to run cars for Gordon and/or Stewart was Kurt Busch‘s impressive rookie debut in this year’s Indy 500, finishing sixth, he told The News’ David Gorecki.

“I think (Busch) did a good job,” said Foyt, adding that he wasn’t surprised at how well Busch did. “No, he always has been a hard driver. I think he got away with a lot of stuff that should have bit him like that one day (crash on Monday prior to race), but he did a good job.”

The question now is whether Stewart or Gordon would be interested in joining forces with Foyt, especially since it would likely cost about $1 million for just the one-off month of May effort.

Then again, if you were a potential sponsor who could have your company’s name associated with Jeff Gordon or Tony Stewart and at the fabled Indianapolis 500, you’d probably be ready to write a check for $2 million to make sure both drivers get into next year’s race, which would be the 99th running of the Greatest Spectacle in Motorsports.