PDA

View Full Version : Hardware Question

curt251
06-07-2014, 02:44 PM
Is there a difference in quality of modem's ??? I am using ones supplied by my internet supplier & have to reset(unplug) it several times a day .
I run a desktop(hardwired) , Jinxbox Ultra V2 (hardwired) & a wireless computer for netflex off this modem .
I have been blaming my code supplier for the quiting blackouts & freezing of the TV . Now am thinking that the modem may be my problem .
The modem supplied is a GT784WN H/W:.5A and this is the second one they have supplied in the last year . Am I overloading this modem causing it to need reboot & if so . What do I need to overcome this problem ?
By the time you try everything in TV room & then deside that you need to reboot modem , you have lost the better part of movie you were watching .
Any insight into fixing this problem will be appreciated . :D

Mavrick
06-07-2014, 04:40 PM
I don't have any specific info on that particular router but like any piece of electronic equipment it can wareout/fail. What you can try is unplug/disconnect everything from the router and just connect your FTA receiver, if your getting freezing or losing the connection try a different port on the router and see if one port work better than the other.
You can also try a ping-test with the connected PC, that might revel a slow/bad internet connection which would cause the issues your described, IKS & Netflicks need a rock-solid internet connection or you will have issues.

Terryl
06-07-2014, 09:40 PM
Go to speetest.net and run a speed test, this will tell you if your reaching a bottle neck, also some ISP's have a bandwidth limitation, if you reach the download limit they will throttle you down speed wise, check with your ISP to see if this is a problem.

The IKS does not use very much bandwidth, but it needs a constant connection to the internet.

Downloading movies takes a ton of bandwidth, if your ISP has a bandwidth limitation, you can reach that real fast, then they turn down the speed.

And you can't overload that modem/router, it has a 300 Mbps rating on the WIFI, with up to a 24 Mbps downstream speed. (this depends on what speed your paying for)

So I don't think it's the router/modem, try a new CAT5 cable to the receiver.

It could also be a software issue in the IKS receiver, or it's getting hot.