PDA

View Full Version : Button expecting more progress after surprise fourth in Montreal

bigbadbrother
06-11-2014, 09:16 PM
Adam Cooper

Jenson Button was one of the unsung heroes of the Canadian GP, the McLaren driver having snatched a surprise fourth place after running as low as 11th for most of the first stint.

Button found pace as the race went on and on the penultimate lap he jumped up from eighth to sixth when Fernando Alonso and Nico Hulkenberg got tangled up at hairpin – the Spaniard ran wide while the German lost momentum on the exit. Right after that at the start of the next lap, Jenson gained two more spots when Sergio Perez and Felipe Massa crashed out.

“The first stint for me was not good on the option tire, I really struggled with that,” said Button. “As soon as we got on the prime, the pace was good.

“I was so far back after my first stint, that was the problem, and then everything just fell wrong, as it has done for me here many times, as in a certain race in 2011. But then I was able to pick it up at the end and the car was working well. So I was able to catch up, obviously helped by some cars slowing down at the end of the race. But that’s part of it, you’ve got to judge your race and it’s from A to B, how quickly you can go, and not individual laps.

“Some races you get unlucky, some races you put yourself in the right place, and it works out. But in terms of how the car feels, that’s more important, and there is progress being made. The feel of the car is the best it’s been all year I think, with less downforce as well.”

Button said he really enjoyed his afternoon, and the chance to race properly.

“I had a lot fun out there, with some good moves going on, not just in the DRS zones but the hairpin as well. An enjoyable race, and obviously the last lap was a lot of fun between Hulkenberg, Fernando and myself. Very happy to get fourth, some good points. But I think more than the position the progress that the team has made is good, and there’s more to come at the next race, hopefully a bigger step.

“The next couple of races are where we should see more progress, which should take us close to the front. A fourth place without people crashing is probably our aim for the next race, I should say.”