PDA

View Full Version : McLaren will be in good shape with Honda power, says Boullier

bigbadbrother
06-26-2014, 07:24 PM
Adam Cooper

McLaren racing director Eric Boullier is adamant that the team has solved its key issues and will be able to build a competitive car for 2015.

“I do have the confidence that we will have a good car from next year,” he said today. “Just because obviously we’ve addressed all the issues internally, and I believe we made all the right decisions. We have seen already in Austria the first benefits of the changes which we have done in the organization, and I think now we are heading in the right way.”

Boullier said that the partnership with Honda will be a huge boost for the team: “Having a works engine allows you to play, let’s say, with much more setup possibilities than if you have a customer engine. We can just take this year’s example, if you just compare Mercedes GP and Red Bull Racing, we all know the Red Bull Racing chassis is very good, maybe slightly better than the Mercedes one, but the big difference between both is that Red Bull has a Renault engine, which is not a works engine.”

He says that Honda’s development program is on schedule.

“This is a big project, and obviously it takes months, even years to build it up, so you work with a clear schedule in place, and obviously some clear objectives to target. So far I think everything is in order and matching the path we have until the next year first race.”

As to whether Jenson Button will still be on board he said: “It’s a question that I cannot say yes and I cannot say no to. We are evaluating or assessing every strategy for the future, and we are lucky to have two drivers who want to commit to us for the future, and we have some options that we can take up, so we are not worried about next year or about, let’s say, the future driver lineup.”