PDA

View Full Version : Chael Sonnen Calls Himself 'Shady,' Admits to Biting an Opponent

ironworks
06-27-2014, 10:05 PM
Feed Source: Bleacher Report MMA

Anyone stepping up to challenge Chael Sonnen now knows they should watch their fingers carefully.

The polarizing former UFC competitor weighed in on the Luis Suarez biting incident. If you have been living under a rock for the past few days, Suarez was banned for nine games and four months for biting an opposing player during the 2014 World Cup.

Here's what Sonnen had to say about it on Wednesday night's FOX Sports Live (h/t MMA Fighting):

Lets start with what happened on the soccer field. To bite someone in the course of battle at least somehow makes some kind of sense. To walk up behind a guy and just bite into his shoulder is just a very weird thing to do.

I've never experienced it in the Octagon, but I have experienced it in wrestling matches. I'll be quite honest, I've been on both sides of it. That's right. I'm very shady.

Now, they stuck their finger in my mouth. He put his finger in my mouth and was trying to give me the old fishhook, so I gave him just a little, gentle bite to let him know, 'I will chomp on this thing should you not remove your finger.' Shady.

Fans of amateur wrestling shouldn't be shocked by this, as there are a number of incidents which wouldn't seem socially acceptable that go down during a wrestling meet (the "oil check" is a common one that makes people gasp in horror and annoys the victim).

There's definitely no shortage of horror stories that amateur wrestlers could share, as they're often some of the most competitive athletes in all of sports.

What's interesting outside of his anecdote is the fact that Sonnen openly admits to being a "shady" person despite his trying to generate sympathy for a failed drug test only a few weeks prior.

Following the failed test, Sonnen announced his retirement from MMA, realizing that he couldn't survive in a post-TRT world. Although the "gangster from West Linn" won't be putting on a pair of four-ounce gloves anytime soon, that doesn't mean Sonnen won't be staying active.

Sonnen is slated to compete against former Strikeforce fighter Andrea Galvao at Metamoris 4 on Aug. 9. The promotion features a card full of talented grapplers including familiar names like Josh Barnett, Dean Lister and Vinny Magalhaes.

The pay-per-view event will be streaming on Metamoris.com.

Read more MMA news on BleacherReport.com