PDA

View Full Version : Marquez poised to restart MotoGP winning streak after taking pole for British GP

bigbadbrother
08-30-2014, 05:32 PM
Colin Young

Marc Marquez is poised to restart his MotoGP winning streak in Sunday's British Grand Prix at Silverstone.

The young Spaniard swept aside his rivals in qualifying to score his tenth pole position of the season with a huge 0.31s margin over Ducati's Andrea Dovizioso.

Completing the front row for the 20-lap race is 2013 Silverstone winner Jorge Lorenzo.

Marquez was in sublime form in qualifying over the fast bumps of Silverstone and dismissed the setback of a crash in the morning free practice session.

It is this sort of nerveless pace that was a crucial part of Marquez's opening sequence of 10 consecutive wins this season before losing out with fourth place at Brno last week.

Winner of the Czech GP was Marquez's Honda teammate Dani Pedrosa, who has qualified fifth at Silverstone.

The interruption to Marquez's winning streak has had no impact on his ambitions and mindset and he has a confidence-boosting time gap going into this race.
Things you need to know entering Sunday's MotoGP race at Silverstone

"I pushed for just one lap in qualifying and when I saw it was fast I slowed. Everything is going very well this weekend and I feel good on the bike over the bumps, I'm enjoying it," Marquez said.

"I am happy for my race rhythm, it is very strong. Now I'm just hoping for a sunny day and to fight for the win."

There are seven races remaining this season, including Silverstone.

Dovizioso continued his run of front-row starts on the Ducati that has the benefit of a supersoft tire allowed for Open class bikes.

If the weather remains cool and Ducati can race this softer tire then Dovizioso is justified in feeling confident with his race pace.

Meanwhile Lorenzo has found the Yamaha M1 much more difficult to handle at Silverstone this year following the switch to the heat-layered rear tire construction which does not suit his high corner speed style.

But he outpaced his teammate Valentino Rossi who will start sixth on the second row.

"I am very proud of my qualifying lap, I pushed to the limit even though the bike is difficult," Lorenzo said.
Visibly shaken Tony Stewart speaks for first time since tragic sprint car accident

"I used the soft front tire but I'm not sure it is possible to race this tire."

Lorenzo is still searching for his first win of the season and it was his victory in this race last year that triggered a late season surge of wins.

But Marquez is at a much higher level than his 2013 rookie season and the Silverstone race, which normally favors Yamaha, will be crucial benchmark for the rest of the season.