PDA

View Full Version : Toyota CEO 'Deeply Sorry' for Accidents, Safety Problems

dan9999
02-24-2010, 08:46 PM
Toyota CEO 'Deeply Sorry' for Accidents, Safety Problems
February 24, 201
FOXNews.com

Pledging to reform his company in the wake of deadly safety problems that sparked the recall of 8.5 million cars, Toyota CEO Akio Toyoda personally apologized for the defects before Congress Wednesday.

Toyota CEO Akio Toyoda apologized before Congress on Wednesday for the defects that sparked the recall of 8.5 million of cars as he pledged to reform his company in the wake of deadly safety problems.

The president of the foreign auto giant said he took "full responsibility" for concerns about the safety of his company's products and admitted that the company's standards have not kept up with its rapid expansion.

"Quite frankly, I fear the pace at which we have grown may have been too quick. I would like to point out here that Toyota's priority has traditionally been the following: First, safety. Second, quality. And third, volume. These priorities became confused," Toyoda said. "We pursued growth over the speed at which we were able to develop our people and our organization. ...

"I regret that this has resulted in the safety issues described in the recalls we face today, and I am deeply sorry for any accidents that Toyota drivers have experienced," Toyoda said.

Toyoda at first declined to appear before the panel but acquiesced last week when he was officially invited. His appearance comes as Japan opened its own investigation into unintended acceleration with Toyota and other vehicles in that country.

Toyoda gave a personalized opening statement Wednesday before fielding questions, along with Yoshimi Inaba, president and CEO of Toyota Motor North America. Both spoke in English.

"My name is on every car. You have my personal commitment that Toyota will work vigorously and unceasingly to restore the trust of our customers," Toyoda said.

The much-awaited testimony came after House lawmakers ripped into the Japanese automaker, as well as U.S. regulators, during hours of back-and-forth between them and Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood, who pledged a rigorous investigation.

Chairman Edolphus Towns, D-N.Y., in his opening remarks, accused the company of overlooking safety concerns and said it had "failed" its customers.

"In the case of Toyota, there is striking evidence that the company was at times more concerned with profit than customer safety," he said. Towns said the company either "ignored or minimized" the thousands of reports of sudden acceleration in its vehicles, and called the 39 deaths attributed to the problem "horrifying."

"If the Camry and the Prius were airplanes, they would be grounded," Towns said.

Though the company has attributed the problem to faulty floor mats and sticky gas pedals, Towns said he remains "skeptical" that those are the only causes. Rep. Darrell Issa, the top Republican on the House oversight panel, also complained that Toyota knew about those problems years ago and made some fixes on models sold in Japan but delayed addressing the problems on other cars until just recently.

The lawmakers had plenty of criticism for U.S. government regulators in the run-up to Toyoda's testimony. Towns and others questioned whether the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration did enough to investigate the problem.

"NHTSA failed the taxpayers. Toyota failed their customers," Towns said.

LaHood, though, defended NHTSA, saying the agency is committed to fully investigating the Toyota problem.

"We haven't been sitting around on our hands. When people complain, we investigate," he said. He told lawmakers Tuesday that the agency is looking closely at whether electronics are to blame and that it would work "24/7" until all Toyotas are safe to drive.

Though there was some confusion over whether NHTSA Administrator David Strickland would testify, sources said he agreed to attend but not testify at LaHood's request. LaHood explained that because Strickland has only been on the job 40 days, "I'm gonna be accountable."

A lot appeared to be riding on Toyoda's appearance Wednesday. LaHood, who said Toyota had been "a little bit safety deaf," argued that Toyoda's visit marked a turning point.

"Things have changed. His visit here has been a game-changer," LaHood said.

Japan's national Asahi newspaper said in an editorial that Toyoda's testimony "not only determines Toyota's fate, but may affect all Japanese companies and consumer confidence in their products. President Toyoda has a heavy load on his shoulders."

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

KIDWCKED
02-24-2010, 11:08 PM
i read a post where they were boasting on the cash cow they saved making these particular cuts in public safety and now they are saying they are sorry???What ever:stop:I will stick with Gm and never otatoy,,Now that they have reached the top 3 and cut costs AND mass produce they(toyota)are getting a reallity check and it looks good on them!!BIG BIG mistake for the supposedly best automaker.Hopefully no one else will suffer death or injuries for there faulty vehicles..jmo