PDA

View Full Version : Lorenzo wins first MotoGP race of 2014 as Marquez, Pedrosa crash

bigbadbrother
09-28-2014, 10:28 PM
AP

Jorge Lorenzo won his first race of the MotoGP season at the Aragon Grand Prix on Sunday after points leader Marc Marquez and Honda teammate Dani Pedrosa both crashed in the rain.

Lorenzo changed for a bike with tires for wet conditions after it started to rain halfway through the race. The move proved the right one after Marquez and Pedrosa both decided to push on with tires for dry surfaces, only to fall with a few laps to go.

"With these conditions I was a little worried," said Lorenzo. "I knew that I could fall at any moment. But I started well, then I didn't feel as confident as Marc and Dani and said, `Oh well, I will try for third.' But I decided to go for it and went into boxes. It was a tough choice because it is always risky to change tires."

Lorenzo eased his Yamaha through the final three laps to finish in 44 minutes, 20.406 seconds. He was more than 10 seconds ahead Aleix Espargaro, who edged Cal Crutchlow for second place.

It was Lorenzo's first win since the two-time champion won the last race of 2013.

Just as Lorenzo pulled into pit lane to change bikes, Pedrosa fell with four laps to go. Marquez had one more chance to learn from his Honda partner's mistake, but he opted to ride on, only to fall a lap later.

Marquez finished 13th, one spot ahead of Pedrosa. Valentino Rossi also crashed before the rain started.

After having won 10 of the first 12 races, Marquez has crashed during the last two. He finished the previous San Marino GP in 15th after falling.

Marquez said that he didn't know that Pedrosa had fallen.

"If I had, I would have stopped," said Marquez. "I said that here at Aragon I would go for it, but I didn't have experience for these conditions and they got the better of me. There are four races left and I am close to the title."

Marquez leads the standings with 289 points. Pedrosa is next with 215, with Rossi another point behind.

Even before the rain provoked havoc, bikes were sliding off the 5-kilometer (3.15-miles) MotorLand Aragon circuit.

Rossi, who had won the previous San Marino GP, crashed out on the third lap when trying to overtake Pedrosa on the outside. He was carried off on a stretcher but appeared not to be seriously hurt.

A lap earlier, fellow Italian Andrea Iannone had also crashed after jumping from third on the grid to take a brief lead of the race. He wiped out after losing a thrilling joust for first place with Marquez.

Andrea Dovizioso, another Italian, fell after he had changed to tires for rain.

bigbadbrother
09-28-2014, 10:29 PM
Valentino Rossi was taken to hospital in Alcaniz for a CT scan after being knocked unconsciousness in a crash at the Aragon Grand Prix.

Rossi had started well from sixth place and had been making progress when he ran wide in the downhill section, running off track and onto the slippery grass where he crashed heavily.

He lost consciousness briefly after the crash but regained it quickly and was taken immediately to the medical center for a check up. No injuries were diagnosed, but the rider was transferred to hospital for a precautionary check up.

Clinica Mobile Medical Director Michele Zasa explained, "Valentino suffered a concussion with a suspected loss of consciousness. From a neurological point of view he has recovered very well. He was taken to hospital in Alcaniz to make a further check, in particular a CT scan of the skull that has ruled out any bleeding in the brain. As a precaution he will be observed in the coming hours, but there are no special reasons for concern."

Movistar Yamaha MotoGP Team Director Massimo Meregalli commented, "Vale was riding very well up to his crash, it's a pity because after his out lap he said the changes we made were perfect and he felt the bike was working well. We are not clear yet on the cause of the crash but he was clearly riding with potential to finish on the podium. Fortunately he seems to be fine and was taken to the hospital as a precautionary check up following an initial check at the medical center."

The above medical bulletin about Rossi's condition follows the CT scan the Movistar Yamaha MotoGP rider underwent at the Alcaniz hospital. His physical condition will be monitored closely by Clinica Mobile.

Rossi's DNF means he stays third in the general standings on 214 points, now three behind Dani Pedrosa who is second.