PDA

View Full Version : NHRA legend John Force looks to set Ford all-time wins record this weekend

bigbadbrother
10-10-2014, 10:18 PM
Jerry Bonkowski

Even though they are parting ways at the end of this season, NHRA drag racing legend John Force wants to give Ford a heck of a “thanks for the memories” present.

The 65-year-old Force is tied with retired NHRA Pro Stock legend Bob Glidden with 78 victories each while behind the wheel of their respective Fords.

Currently the leader in the Funny Car points standings, Force hopes to break that mark in this weekend’s AAA Insurance Midwest Nationals at Gateway Motorsports Park in suburban St. Louis.

According to a Ford Racing media release, “No other Ford driver is close to having won as many races in a single series.”

Force is not only defending Funny Car champion of this weekend’s race, he’s also looking to avenge a rare red light disqualification this past weekend in the final round at Texas Motor Speedway.

“I got all jacked up,” Force said. “I wanted to win it so bad that I broke from my routine, and I got all screwed up and red lighted. I knew better and I let my team and sponsors down. My hot rod ran quicker and faster than his. We should’ve won that race, and it was all my fault. I was so embarrassed.”

Force has won a record 141 races in his NHRA career, all in the Funny Car ranks, as well as 16 championships, yet another record.

“I get a chance to make it up this week,” Force said, still bothered by what happened at Texas. “That’s good. The worst is when you screw up and you have two or three weeks to think about it. We go right back to racing this week and that’s what you want.”