PDA

View Full Version : U.S. bobsledder detained, released

KIDWCKED
02-25-2010, 10:49 PM
c\p from espn
Associated Press

WHISTLER, British Columbia -- American bobsledder Bill Schuffenhauer was detained and released by Canadian police after an argument with his fiancee, a person with direct knowledge of the investigation told The Associated Press.

Schuffenhauer resumed Olympic training Thursday and is expected to compete in Friday's four-man bobsled.

Police released him after finding no evidence of a crime, said the person, who spoke on condition of anonymity because the investigation is ongoing.

"I didn't get to talk to him about it," said Mike Kohn, the driver of the sled that Schuffenhauer helps push. "There's an ongoing investigation. I don't know the facts. We're just trying to focus on the race right now. He's going through a tough time and we're going to focus on the race."

Darrin Steele, chief executive of the U.S. Bobsled and Skeleton Federation, said Schuffenhauer was not arrested.

"It looks like nothing further is going to happen," Steele said. "Looking at the whole thing I don't foresee any way that he would not race, regardless of how things progress."

Canadian police declined comment, citing privacy laws. Schuffenhauer was not made available to reporters after training Thursday.

"We understand that late last evening Bill Schuffenhauer, a member of the U.S. Bobsled team, was detained and released by authorities in Whistler," USOC spokesman Patrick Sandusky said in a statement. "At this point we are awaiting further details."

The 36-year-old Schuffenhauer is a pushman for USA-3, driven by Kohn and also pushed by Jamie Moriarty and Nick Cunningham. None of the three offered any specifics about the circumstances surrounding Schuffenhauer, though all said after Thursday's training session that their teammate was going about his work normally.

Schuffenhauer won a silver medal in four-man at the 2002 Salt Lake City Games.