PDA

View Full Version : Penguins lose malkin for 2-3 weeks due to injury

Newf
10-29-2009, 11:57 PM
The Pittsburgh Penguins announced on Thursday that star forward Evgeni Malkin will be out 2-3 weeks due to a shoulder strain.
"Geno is going to be out of the lineup for a couple of weeks," explained Dan Bylsma on the team's website. "He strained his shoulder about 10 days or so ago. I don't know the exact day. It is precautionary for the player. We are worried about the safety of the shoulder. A couple weeks of rest and rehab will get that thing healthy so he can get back onto the ice."
Malkin will travel with the Penguins to Columbus for their game on Friday night with the Blue Jackets.
"Obviously he has played with it and could gut it out, which is what Geno would be apt to do," Bylsma explained. "At this time of the year the concern is the player and this is a precautionary measure."
Malkin had played in 254 consecutive regular-season games and when asked about the injury, he downplayed the severity.
"I can play good, but it's the early season," Malkin the Penguins site. "I feel good. It's not a big problem, and I'm fine. I'll be watching and supporting the team on the trip. It'll be fine."
The 23-year-old has four goals and 10 assists over his 12 games this season.
Malkin won the Art Ross Trophy last season with 113 points (35 G, 78 A) and put up 36 points (14 G, 22 A) during the playoffs as the Penguins won the third Stanley Cup in team history.
He was drafted by the Pittsburgh Penguins in the 1st round (2nd overall) of the 2004 NHL Entry Draft.