PDA

View Full Version : Julio Cesar Chavez suspended and fined 10,000$

KIDWCKED
03-02-2010, 10:02 PM
c\p
March 2nd, 2010
By Jim Dower: Unbeaten middleweight Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. (41-0, 30 KO’s) was suspended by the Nevada Athletic Commission on Monday as a result of a post fight urine check after his last fight in November against Troy Rowland. Chavez, 24, tested positive for a diuretic drug called Furosemide, according to the Los Angeles Times. The Commission then after meeting with Chavez, promptly gave him a seven month suspension. It’s unclear why Chavez would take the drug, as it’s used for either cutting weight or masking steroid use.

Chavez was prescribed the diurectic by his doctor apparently, saying “I did everything the doctor told me to do. I had complete trust in my doctor and in what he was giving me. I would take a lot of stuff from him without asking because I had 100 percent trust in him.” Ignorance is no excuse unfortunately, as the suspension will still take effect regardless of Chavez’s ignorance about what he was taking.
Chavez had struggled to make the middleweight limit of 160 days before the fight and had been hospitalized due to feeling dizzy. They pumped him with fluids and Chavez was reportedly concerned that the fluid would make it more difficult for him to make weight for the fight.
As a result of his suspension, Chavez’s 10 round decision win over Rowland was changed to a no decision. Chavez was also fined $10,000.
Chavez had been fighting at light middleweight until recently. He would seem better off at that weight compared to middleweight because he’s not particularly fast and has a bad habit of fighting in close and getting hit a lot. If Chavez stays at middleweight, he could end up taking a lot of punishment and possibly get stopped if and when they finally put him in with a good opponent. That’s the thing. Chavez is still fighting 2nd tier opponents despite having fought seven years as a pro. He’s built up an impressive record, but there’s very little substance among all his opponents.
Chavez could finally be taking a small step up in class in June. His promoter Fernando Beltran said that Chavez could be facing middleweight contender John Duddy (28-1, 18 KO’s) in June. For that to happen, Duddy, 30, will have to get by his next opponent Michael Medina on March13th. Duddy will be fighting on the undercard of the Manny Pacquiao vs. Joshua Clottey fight at the Dallas Cowboy stadium. This will be a great visibility fight for Duddy, and if he can beat Medina and look impressive in doing so, it would make a Chavez-Duddy fight an appealing fight for many boxing fans.
Both Duddy and Chavez are eerily similar in that they both have build up records based largely on wins over 2nd tier fodder, neither of them are considered by many fans to be top tier fighters despite their high ranking and both of them are flawed both defensively and offensively. Chavez has the better power of the two, but he’s slow, has a poor work rate and suffers from fatigue problems late in his fights. It’s worrisome that all of a sudden Chavez is finding it hard to make the middleweight limit, because he really doesn’t have the size or quickness to compete in the super middleweight division.