PDA

View Full Version : Fool Proof tool for Installations

TurboPirate
03-03-2010, 02:42 AM
Fool Proof tool for installing dish antennas!!!!!!!!!!! what do you think?
Credit to Jenuel who found this on the web.

http://www.hypermegasat.com/align_a_site.htm

dishuser
03-03-2010, 02:46 AM
not bad but way too pricey

NOKIA™
03-03-2010, 03:13 AM
yeh ..

a compass is $5

a torpedo level (8") with magnetic strip is $10

total $15

does the job as good ...

armed with a good coordinate site ..like dishpointer.com...

and ur set to go in about 10 - 15 minutes...

TurboPirate
03-03-2010, 04:19 AM
yeh ..

a compass is $5

a torpedo level (8") with magnetic strip is $10

total $15

does the job as good ...

armed with a good coordinate site ..like dishpointer.com...

and ur set to go in about 10 - 15 minutes...

This is the perfect equation, told many, even went with them to get the best for their dollar and still can't find even 89 west wish is the easier sat to find here in Puerto Rico adding a Protractor wish I use to take a photo and let them know what elevation to use and still sooooooooooooo dumb they can't find a thing.

I got one of them this list
Compass 3$ USA army from long a go in flea market
a Torpedo with magnet 2$ flea market
a Protractor Craftman 1$ flea market

Night Prowler
03-03-2010, 01:23 PM
Cool little tool.....;)

Costactc
03-03-2010, 04:04 PM
Nice looking Turbo, but I have to agree with dishuser- too pricey.

JCO
03-03-2010, 04:23 PM
Nice looking Turbo, but I have to agree with dishuser- too pricey.

Ahh its only money, he who dies with the most toys wins...LOL And it is a nice toy..

JCO
03-03-2010, 04:26 PM
This is the perfect equation, told many, even went with them to get the best for their dollar and still can't find even 89 west wish is the easier sat to find here in Puerto Rico adding a Protractor wish I use to take a photo and let them know what elevation to use and still sooooooooooooo dumb they can't find a thing.

I got one of them this list
Compass 3$ USA army from long a go in flea market
a Torpedo with magnet 2$ flea market
a Protractor Craftman 1$ flea market

If they cant use those three simple independant tools, how will they be able to handle the combined one..
Maybe you should make them pass the walking and chewing gum at the same time test.. If they can do that there ready to move on to bigger and better things...LMAO

Costactc
03-03-2010, 04:26 PM
Just got a hand held sat meter in last week JCO- might give it a shot aligning Stans bud.

JCO
03-03-2010, 04:31 PM
Just got a hand held sat meter in last week JCO- might give it a shot aligning Stans bud.

Save the wodka till after the alingment...LOL The looks level enough after 3 shots is a common outcome..LOL

TurboPirate
03-03-2010, 07:14 PM
Maybe you should make them pass the walking and chewing gum at the same time test.. If they can do that there ready to move on to bigger and better things...LMAO

I know a few that can walk and chew gum but can't breath at the same time............lol they stop doing the first 2 to take a breath and hold it again wile they start walking and chewing...........

Sgt
03-03-2010, 09:59 PM
NOTHING is foolproof.
;)

JCO
03-03-2010, 11:43 PM
NOTHING is foolproof.
;)

As Pugsy so well says make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot...LOL

Terryl
03-04-2010, 02:00 AM
Looks like a nice toy, also looks like some the very expensive thingies the site surveyors used to align the big 10 meter dishes.

It would be real nice if you could actually see the satellite as you look through it, looking through it may be useful in seeing if you have a clear shot in that direction but to view the satellite location ??? No way…..unless it had a digital read out from a compass in the sight.

And is that compass when mounted on the dish compensated/shielded to keep the steel dish from deflecting the compass needle and getting a bad reading?

Another toy for the trunk.

TurboPirate
03-04-2010, 02:23 AM
And is that compass when mounted on the dish compensated/shielded to keep the steel dish from deflecting the compass needle and getting a bad reading?

Another toy for the trunk.

Excellent point! I was asking the same thing. but thought they build it and test it, it doesn't deflect with dish steel......................

Sgt
03-04-2010, 03:50 AM
Unless the dish is magnetized the effect would minimal. Remember the compass needle is not magnetized.

Terryl
03-04-2010, 04:08 AM
Unless the dish is magnetized the effect would minimal. Remember the compass needle is not magnetized.

Ahh sorry to disagree but the needle on a compass is magnetized or it wouldn't work.

Test it out, use a small glass dish filled with water and a small piece of flat cork, use 1 needle that isn't magnetized and another that is, float the needle's one at a time on the cork in the center of the dish and see what happens.

A compass that is used around metal like steel or iron has to be compensated or shielded to get a true bearing on magnetic north, this is why you shouldn't use a cheap compass (plastic case) too close to a steel dish or mounting pipe as it could give you a false reading.

Sgt
03-04-2010, 02:41 PM
Ahh sorry to disagree but the needle on a compass is magnetized or it wouldn't work.

Test it out, use a small glass dish filled with water and a small piece of flat cork, use 1 needle that isn't magnetized and another that is, float the needle's one at a time on the cork in the center of the dish and see what happens.

A compass that is used around metal like steel or iron has to be compensated or shielded to get a true bearing on magnetic north, this is why you shouldn't use a cheap compass (plastic case) too close to a steel dish or mounting pipe as it could give you a false reading.

You are correct...don't know where my mind was last night. Let's just say a brain fart. This morning the use of lodestone and related history/info comes to mind, but didn't last night.