PDA

View Full Version : IndyCar Aero Kit testing can begin

bigbadbrother
03-13-2015, 03:59 PM
Bruce Martin

In a world of superstition, “Friday the 13th” is often a day where imagination takes over and simple mistakes throughout the day take on the lure of “Bad Luck.” But Friday, March 13 has a special meaning to the Verizon IndyCar Series and once again it is exemplified by the world of imagination.

It’s the first day teams can test the Chevrolet and Honda Aero Kits that will give each manufacturer a distinctly different look. And many of those teams hope to work up a little “Black Magic” in the world of “Voodoo” with a test at NOLA Motorsports Park just outside of New Orleans.

When INDYCAR announced the advent of “Aero Kits” to change the look and performance of the Dallara DW12 chassis, engineers at Chevrolet and Honda were literally given a clean sheet of paper to devise the designs for each kit. The final product shows imagination and creativity even if the new kits look like a youngster has gone wild with his set of Lego’s.

To the small but very vocal collection of IndyCar fans many of them have screamed for change for years but when given something that looks different they immediately object. Some fans claim the Aero Kits are “so ugly as to scare small children.”

But to the engineers and team strategists in the Verizon IndyCar Series beauty is defined by speed.

“How it looks is an interesting question,” said Mike Hull, the managing director of Target/Chip Ganassi Racing – a Chevrolet team. “What it is going to look like to a fan particularly up close and personal if somebody goes to the St. Pete race even though it’s a street race with tight confines you are going to see speed because the kit provides a lot more downforce than what we have with the DW12 so you are going to see speed.

“I prefer a car that goes really fast. We can get used to the way a car looks if it goes really fast. You can look at any race car in any series and say the same thing about it. The visual beauty of a race car is in the eye of the beholder. What is aesthetically pleasing to you and to me but not be pleasing to somebody else. I think the aesthetical part of it may be generational and not necessarily broad fan based.

“If you take a kid that is 12 years old and ask them to draw a race car and ask a 50-year-old to do that you get two different pictures. It all depends on what you like that perceives how you will see the car.”

Steve Eriksen is the Vice President and Chief Operating Officer of Honda Performance Development (HPD). Chevrolet was the first to release its renderings of the final Aero Kit on Feb. 17 at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. Eriksen and Honda didn’t show its Aero Kit until this past Monday at an event in Culver City, California.

The beauty of the designs is both manufacturers took two different approaches to its Aero Kits.

“I thought Chevrolet took a very different approach to solving the same problem than we did and I was pleased because it makes for variety for the fans to be able to tell the two manufacturers apart,” Eriksen told FOXSports.com “I think they are coming at it from their experience and we are coming at it from our experience. The two backgrounds aren’t exactly the same so you end up with two different solutions.”
9 March, 2015, Culver City, California USA Honda Racing unveils the 2015 IndyCar Aero Kit in Los Angeles. Courtesy of Honda Racing ©2015, Honda Racing LAT Photo USA

From first glance it looks like Chevrolet’s kit eliminated speed-robbing drag while Honda went all in on providing more downforce.

“It’s hard to say because I’m not an aerodynamicist by training how draggy the designs Chevrolet has worked out are,” Eriksen admitted. “The renderings in the car that we showed is what would be appropriate for a road and street course include so many options that what you see there are not necessarily what you would see on another circuit in road and street course category because you are tailoring it to the characteristics of the specific track.

“There are some tracks where you will take as much downforce as you can possibly make and don’t care how much drag you are putting on. There are other tracks where drag is absolutely vital so you are in a completely different mode.”

Chevrolet officials said its Aero Kit has 123 pieces. Honda’s Aero Kit has close to 200 different bits and pieces, winglets and scoops and additional body parts. Keep in mind that not all of these pieces are required, most are optional, which opens a Rubik’s Cube of setups that each team’s engineers can devise on any given race weekend.

“That is another element of interest for the Aero Kits is the regulations allow you to run a different configuration from qualifying than for the race,” Eriksen said. “In qualifying, it’s all about the quickest lap time regardless of fuel economy. In the race you are going to make a race able car that doesn’t do bad on fuel economy and gives you the ability to deal with two different sets of tires. In qualifying, it’s the optimum set of tires for the optimum set of laps you need to get pole position.

“With the combination of the two you will have a very interesting trade-off. Do you target passing at the end of a long straight or is there another spot on the course where you can target passing in the more twisty sections? It will be interesting to see which pieces get used and which flap angles and where whickers are used or not used and what parts are not put on because you will have quite a bit of control on the aero balance of the car, the drag, the downforce, the characteristics that impact tire degradation. It’s a complex puzzle but it’s nice to have the flexibility to adjust it and tune it to those things.”

Testing of Aero Kit pieces and designs were done in secrecy during the offseason but the Homologation deadline was Jan. 18. That is when all plans, drawings, blueprints, CAD designs and other data had to be “locked in” and turned over to INDYCAR for final approval. The individual parts were tested independent of the overall kit so today’s road course test at NOLA Motorsports Park is the first time the complete Honda kit will be on the race cars.

“This will be a fully production representative kit rather than prototype components,” Eriksen said. “These will be the real pieces all coming together and teams can test from March 13 onward. Before, we never had all the pieces on the car at the same time. All the pieces that we feel are representative of a good starting spec. We have wind tunnel results and straight-line results of all the pieces but we don’t have traditional on-track running with all the pieces.”

With dramatically increased downforce, drivers will have to adjust their driving style, as the IndyCars do not have power steering unlike other forms of racing.

bigbadbrother
03-13-2015, 03:59 PM
Part 2

“I think in certain configurations you could see an increased steering effort so depending on the drivers physical state that could favor one driver or another,” Eriksen predicted. “If someone doesn’t have quite the upper body strength you might have to change steering geometry away from where you want to run it to produce the steering loads. We don’t know on the high-speed ovals what affect the wake will have from a Honda Aero Kit to a Chevrolet Aero Kit so that will be very interesting to see if that has an affect on how people approach a car from behind and how they pass. I’m excited to get the season started and see how these two very different solutions play out.”

When the Dallara DW12 was first announced by the ICONIC Committee in July 2010, Aero Kits were part of the ultimate plan that would help breakaway the current IndyCar Series from the unflattering label of “Spec Racing.” The DW12 began competition in the 2012 season and provided some thrilling performance and outstanding competition.

Derrick Walker was named INDYCAR President of Competition and Operations in 2013 he pushed for the Aero Kits to become a reality.

That will be realized with Friday’s tests.

“When we talk about Aero Kits it’s hard to visualize what could potentially happen,” Walker said. “Here were two groups spending a lot of time and resources to design ways to make the Aero Kit work for them and they had a different approach. That is what we wanted. We wanted variety and individual kits. What works for Chevrolet, Honda has a different view. Chevrolet made a version and Honda made a version and subtly they are very different and in some places they are no so subtly different.

“I’m quite happy to see what they have done after they have worked on it for a long time with considerable resources behind it. On paper it looks pretty darn good. We’ll be interested to see how it goes. When it comes to the ovals there will be another kit that looks a little bit different again with different objectives for the superspeedways than what is needed for the road courses.”

Walker came from an era of innovative design from the days when he worked for Team Penske in 1972 and would later form Walker Racing in the late 1980s. Back then, teams built cars that were different from the competition. Walker realizes in today’s economy that is unfeasible but he does want to bring some innovation back to the series.

“The Aero Kit is step one of what I call ‘Back to the Future,’” Walker said. “We need to get to some innovative and different designs. We need to have speed. We need to have all of those things. You don’t get that with a totally spec car. This is the first step. It’s going to include some areas of how we refine the rules. This is step one of a new area to get different shapes and innovations. You don’t necessarily see the big picture when you first look at it. For the people who don’t think we are doing it right give it some time. There is a lot of work to be done but at least they are talking about it and taking notice. The fans have to choose and we know we can’t please everybody.

“Full marks to the manufacturers because they embraced this idea and have gone flat out and spent a lot of time and resources on it. That’s great. We have competition in cars now and we didn’t have competition in cars; we had competition in teams. The team figured out how to make their car – the same as everybody else’s – work better and the team got the credit. Now, we have a design difference and an added competition in the design of the car that we used to have.

“I think it’s good that we have it back.”

And what does Walker think of the aesthetics of the Aero Kits?

“I would say that to the fans, wait until you see it in action,” he said. “As happens with all race cars the ones that are the prettiest are the ones that are the best. Success has a way of transforming even the ugliest car into a beauty because it wins and that is what the end game is. The best design and the best team that executes that design is what comes out to be the industry standard and goal you are trying to shoot for.

“For some fans who don’t think it’s pretty it will become pretty in a heartbeat when they see how quick it can be. Who knows? We will see which one is the prettiest and the quickest pretty soon.”

INDYCAR has taken the bold approach to alter the dynamic of its competition in an era where the competition has been so good. Last season featured 11 different winners in 18 races tying a record set in 2000 and 2001.

“The series has really good racing,” Hull said. “I think this will make the racing better. It will help the fans to distinguish their favorite drivers based on the kits. I think Chevrolet and Honda will use this to create a better public awareness and perception of their brand of athletes. It should be much easier to know that Scott Dixon is a Chevrolet driver and Ryan Hunter-Reay is a Honda driver now. That is what the manufacturers should be doing with this – to brand them effectively more one from the other.

“That is a very big selling tool and I think it should be better for us as a series.”