PDA

View Full Version : Mayweather: “I’m the greatest fighter that ever lived”

KIDWCKED
03-07-2010, 03:10 PM
c\p

March 6th, 2010

By Eric Thomas: In a recent interview by ESPN Sports center, undefeated Floyd Mayweather Jr. had this to say about himself: “I take my hat off to Sugar Ray Robinson, and Muhammad Ali, and Sugar Ray Leonard, all the legendary champions. But I gave the sport of boxing my whole life to be the best, and I feel I earned the right to say that I’m the best fighter that ever lived. And I proved myself and I think that they say that women and men lie, but my numbers don’t lie.”

Mayweather appears to be talking about his unbeaten 40-0 ring record. It’s an impressive record there’s no doubt. However, some boxing fans feel that Mayweather hasn’t always taken on the best fighters during his 14-year pro career.

Mayweather says this about his May 1st opponent Shane Mosley: “I think Mosley is out of character, cause that’s not him talking trash to an opponent. That’s me. That’s been me for the longest for the past 15 years, since I’ve been in the sport of boxing, and dominated the sport of boxing. There’s a blue print in how to beat Shane. If you have five losses, there’s a remedy and code in how to beat you. There’s no code or remedy on how to beat Floyd Mayweather. I’m here to clean up the sport of boxing. We’re not cheating over here. We want to separate the ordinary from the good, and great. And I’m a great one, because I never used no drug enhancement drugs, and all those fighters in this time and different athletes are cheating. If you have to cheat to win, I don’t that’s cool at all. How you going to call yourself an all time great if you cheat?”

Mayweather will be taking a very dangerous fight against WBA welterweight champion Shane Mosley at the MGM Grand, in Las Vegas on May 1st. Mayweather needs to win this fight for him to have a chance at a huge money fight against WBO welterweight champion Manny Pacquiao later on in 2010. Mayweather attempted to negotiate a fight with Pacquiao recently, but was unable to reach terms for a fight due to random blood testing that Mayweather wanted for the fight.

Chigaro
03-07-2010, 03:20 PM
Hard to place him as the best fighter that ever lived. He's never really fought a serious challenger and I have to say his fights are boring. Stick and run, hold and block.

Mosley will push him, but I'm not sure he's got the stuff and stamina to beat him.

Until Mayweather fights someone who pushes him to the limit and then fights him again, he can't be the best fighter that ever lived.

PS, no losses doesn't make him the best. It just shows he never has been pushed. If he loses against a great fighter and wins in the rematch, I'd be much more impressed.

Salud amigo!

KIDWCKED
03-07-2010, 03:41 PM
Hard to place him as the best fighter that ever lived. He's never really fought a serious challenger and I have to say his fights are boring. Stick and run, hold and block.

Mosley will push him, but I'm not sure he's got the stuff and stamina to beat him.

Until Mayweather fights someone who pushes him to the limit and then fights him again, he can't be the best fighter that ever lived.

PS, no losses doesn't make him the best. It just shows he never has been pushed. If he loses against a great fighter and wins in the rematch, I'd be much more impressed.

Salud amigo!

this guys ego is way to much!!!i hope mosley lays him out big time..

Chigaro
03-08-2010, 12:50 AM
this guys ego is way to much!!!i hope mosley lays him out big time..

i hope at the least, mosley clocks him a few times and puts fear into him. honestly, i want to see pacquiao knock him out. that won't happen if mosley beats him.

:thumbsup:

jafo
03-08-2010, 05:28 AM
The best? Ha! Not even close. Maybe the best pound for pound fighter. This is definitely a better match up than the Pacquiao-Clottey fight. The only question in that fight will be whether Pacman can knock him out.

n3uspeed2
03-08-2010, 05:59 AM
Man you just gotta love him though...he reminds me of chicken hawk.,...is comments are always bigger then he is...

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t253/depcrumb/chickenhawk.jpg

jessbernal59
03-08-2010, 06:17 PM
I don't think soo!....If he considered himself as a greatest ( Mayweather ),for me, without a losses is not un excuse to be the greatest. A greatest boxer must be capable of what he is doing being a good boxer, he must be understable, humble and especially he knows how to respect he's fellow boxer. I remember of what he did on top of the ring, after the fight to Manuel Marquez one of the interviewer, and me, no other greatest than PACMAN!:yeaah::yeaah::yeaah:

jafo
03-08-2010, 09:17 PM
I don't think soo!....If he considered himself as a greatest ( Mayweather ),for me, without a losses is not un excuse to be the greatest. A greatest boxer must be capable of what he is doing being a good boxer, he must be understable, humble and especially he knows how to respect he's fellow boxer. I remember of what he did on top of the ring, after the fight to Manuel Marquez one of the interviewer, and me, no other greatest than PACMAN!:yeaah::yeaah::yeaah:

Just how many great fighters do you know that have all of those attributes? PacMan certainly isn't, he doesn't respect Mayweather and he is far from understandable(lol). Why would he turn down a fight over blood testing?

Ali, who I consider one of the greatest ever(way above Pac or Mayweather) was never humble and seemed to disrespect his opponent. None of the items on your list are what makes a great fighter. A great fighter is one who beat all of his challengers during his prime years or at least performed admirably in defeat. It is also based on public opinion and that can be skewed one way or another. Being humble and respectful may make you look good in the public eye, but doesn't help your boxing skills one whit. Just take a look at Jermain Taylor, a prime example of someone who is courteous and respectful.

KIDWCKED
03-08-2010, 10:56 PM
well i would say mosley has fought better boxers,,okay pbf beat gatti.probably his greatest victory ever,and he beat judah..but he refused margarito and never faced vargas,winky wright,vernon forrest,mayorga or miguel cotto...floyd's las t three fights with victories,,hmmm ricky hatton,marquez??de lahoya,,everybodys leftovers perhaps?jmo..cheer's

jafo
03-09-2010, 04:49 AM
well i would say mosley has fought better boxers,,okay pbf beat gatti.probably his greatest victory ever,and he beat judah..but he refused margarito and never faced vargas,winky wright,vernon forrest,mayorga or miguel cotto...floyd's las t three fights with victories,,hmmm ricky hatton,marquez??de lahoya,,everybodys leftovers perhaps?jmo..cheer's

Yeah, I agree with your assessment of Mayweather. He is good and may be the best pound for pound fighter, but he does pick his fights very carefully. Whoever wins a Pacquiao/Mayweather fight would definitely have to be considered one of the best all time fighters. But that fight may never happen.

Chigaro
03-10-2010, 01:45 AM
Mayweather is not dumb, he knows who he can beat and who he should avoid in fighting.

He may never face anyone who can push him. I hope Mosley does that and if he gives Mayweather a good fight, Mayweather rises a notch or two in his alltime ranking.

Best fighter ever? Hardly, he hasn't beaten the best fighters yet, so he can't be given that title.

KIDWCKED
03-11-2010, 12:10 AM
Mayweather is not dumb, he knows who he can beat and who he should avoid in fighting.

He may never face anyone who can push him. I hope Mosley does that and if he gives Mayweather a good fight, Mayweather rises a notch or two in his alltime ranking.

Best fighter ever? Hardly, he hasn't beaten the best fighters yet, so he can't be given that title.

absolutely amigo..he pbf has always avoided the top contenders...

xmen1
03-11-2010, 01:32 AM

Salud amigo!

hi, i am whit you in this a 100 % , thank you,

KIDWCKED
03-11-2010, 11:52 PM

Salud amigo!

me to chigaro!!lets hope we see that day were pbf has to stand and deliver..or hit paydirt..peace amigo..

Chigaro
03-12-2010, 01:57 AM
salud amigo.

tell ya the truth, i hope he is the best fighter ever and that he shows it. right now he's the best fight picker ever. he's never had a hard fight, which tells me he knows how to pick an opponent who will give him a challenge.

i'm hoping mosley gives him a run. i'll be watching that fight for sure and pulling for mosley to give him a good run.

peace brother.

Condor
03-12-2010, 02:35 AM

As usual Chig...We are on the same page....And as my good friend "Stone cold Steve Austin" Says........And that's all I have to say about that.....Salud everyone....:cor::cor::cor::cor::cor:

KIDWCKED
03-12-2010, 10:31 PM
salud amigo.

tell ya the truth, i hope he is the best fighter ever and that he shows it. right now he's the best fight picker ever. he's never had a hard fight, which tells me he knows how to pick an opponent who will give him a challenge.

i'm hoping mosley gives him a run. i'll be watching that fight for sure and pulling for mosley to give him a good run.

peace brother.

well at least he finally picked a decent fighter mi amigo..lets hope we see pbf laying on his back on the canvass..hey you coming over for the fight??tequllia,tequllia,tequllia!!:yeaah:

Chigaro
03-13-2010, 04:19 AM
tequilla and balut and i'm there! mosley will give him a fight and is maybe one of the very few fighters with the skill to push him.

am i coming over? absolutely, this fight has the potential to be a great fight and i'd love to watch it with great friends who also know boxing.

should i bring the balut?

:thumbsup::yeaah::thumbsup:

moss1234
03-13-2010, 12:08 PM
Man you just gotta love him though...he reminds me of chicken hawk.,...is comments are always bigger then he is...

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t253/depcrumb/chickenhawk.jpg

LOL his mouth is even bigger than his fist, might shove his own fist to his big mouth to shut himself up
he better be of a rap singer because all he did is say something craps LOL
:tehe::tehe::tehe::tehe::tehe::tehe:

satman432
03-31-2010, 09:10 PM
The best? Ha! Not even close. Maybe the best pound for pound fighter. This is definitely a better match up than the Pacquiao-Clottey fight. The only question in that fight will be whether Pacman can knock him out.

No doubt about it amigo. Pacman can knock him out. If he don't run from the fight.:thumbsup:

jafo
03-31-2010, 11:38 PM
No doubt about it amigo. Pacman can knock him out. If he don't run from the fight.:thumbsup:

Right! I was actually questioning whether Pac could knock out Clottey. And we all saw the answer to that. As far as Mayweather getting knocked out by Pacquiao, I doubt it. I really doubt that the fight occurs. Pac doesn't want to fight with Olympic drug rules, and it seems Mayweather/Mosley are quite acceptable to that. And Mayweather probably won't budge from that position, and why should he?

Why is Pac so afraid of Olympic style drug testing? If he wants Mayweather, he will go ahead and fight him regardless. But, I don't see it happening.

After watching the Mayweather complete domination of Marquez(who actually beat Pacquiao, maybe twice), I don't think Pac stands much of a chance against Floyd. If you think so, maybe you need to go back and look at the Marquez fights.

jessbernal59
04-01-2010, 06:38 PM
But look of what happen to Mayweather at the end of the round 12, if there is some more time for Marquez the fight was over for him. He hurts a lot and he almost knockdown, he don't wanna fight he always keep away and dancing just only to kill the time until the fight is finished.:grr::grr::grr:

satman432
04-03-2010, 06:11 AM
Right! I was actually questioning whether Pac could knock out Clottey. And we all saw the answer to that. As far as Mayweather getting knocked out by Pacquiao, I doubt it. I really doubt that the fight occurs. Pac doesn't want to fight with Olympic drug rules, and it seems Mayweather/Mosley are quite acceptable to that. And Mayweather probably won't budge from that position, and why should he?

Why is Pac so afraid of Olympic style drug testing? If he wants Mayweather, he will go ahead and fight him regardless. But, I don't see it happening.

After watching the Mayweather complete domination of Marquez(who actually beat Pacquiao, maybe twice), I don't think Pac stands much of a chance against Floyd. If you think so, maybe you need to go back and look at the Marquez fights.

Who's the Champion? Pacman, right? So Big mouth Floyd doesn't have the right to demand anything. About the olympic style of drug testing. The Nevada style of drug testing is proven effective and its been use for a long long time now. So why change it? Because big mouth Floyd says so? And regarding Floyd and Mosley accepting the olympic style of drug testing is that there is no other way but for big mouth Floyd to continue with what he is asking of Pacman. If he dont continue nobody will beleive him anymore and it will damage his already damage reputation. And for Shane Mosley, It is only right for him to take the olympic style of testing because he was caught taking Performing enhancing drugs in the past. A lot of famous boxers have been tested positve with the Nevada style of drug testing. Here's to name a few.
1. Roy Jones Jr.
2. James Toney
3. Fernando Vargas
4. Ricardo Mayorga
5. Mike Tyson
6. Pernell " sweat pea " Whitaker
7. Sugar Shane Mosley
And just recently is Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. one of the undercards at the Pacquiao vs. Cotto fight. He was tested positive after the fight against Troy Rowland. So tell me why Pacman should agree to Big mouth Floyds demand? The only motive of Big mouth Floyd is to discredit Pacman, which we all saw that it did not affect Pacmans popularity in the fight against Clottey which 51,000 thousand people attended. The only reason is that Big mouth Floyd is to scared of Pacman that he made up with this stupid stories and new set of rules which he invented. Right Amigo?:comfort1:

jafo
04-03-2010, 10:31 AM
So, who cares? If Pac truly wants to fight Mayweather, he will take the fight regardless of Mayweather's stupid conditions, which don't amount to anything. You didn't answer anything, why is Pac afraid to test that way? It is a stupid premise to claim that weakens you. Bull ****! The onus is on Pac and if he chooses not to fight for this stupid reason, his career is diminished in lots of peeps eyes, nothing you can say will change that perception.

Everyone knows Mayweather is a punk. Do you think Mayweather cares about peeps' perception of him? He has cast himself as the villain countless times. He evidently likes the role.

Everyone I talk to in my area thinks Pac just needs to man up and fight. That is the way to shut Mayweather up for good. If Pac chooses to wuss out, then it is on him.

jafo
04-03-2010, 10:40 AM
But look of what happen to Mayweather at the end of the round 12, if there is some more time for Marquez the fight was over for him. He hurts a lot and he almost knockdown, he don't wanna fight he always keep away and dancing just only to kill the time until the fight is finished.:grr::grr::grr:

Not sure what fight you watched. At NO TIME was Mayweather in any danger in that fight. You are too funny! Complete and total domination. Mayweather won every round, judges had to give Marquez a round, imo, just because the fight was that one sided.(And this the same fighter that gave Pacman trouble in not one, but two fights). If Pac wants Mayweather, he will fight him, regardless of the stupid condition. Only way to shut up Mayweather is to beat him.

Imo, this fight will never happen. Pac is quitting to go into politics. He doesn't have any business going into that arena, but then again, a lot of our democratic senators don't have any business going into politics either.....lol.

KIDWCKED
04-03-2010, 05:58 PM
Not sure what fight you watched. At NO TIME was Mayweather in any danger in that fight. You are too funny! Complete and total domination. Mayweather won every round, judges had to give Marquez a round, imo, just because the fight was that one sided.(And this the same fighter that gave Pacman trouble in not one, but two fights). If Pac wants Mayweather, he will fight him, regardless of the stupid condition. Only way to shut up Mayweather is to beat him.

Imo, this fight will never happen. Pac is quitting to go into politics. He doesn't have any business going into that arena, but then again, a lot of our democratic senators don't have any business going into politics either.....lol.

lets remember how much over the catchweight pbf came in at!!that was not fair for the already smaller marquez,,pac wants to go pbf and will likely do so.i suppose we will see something after the mayweather mosley bout!jmo..

satman432
04-06-2010, 02:11 PM
So, who cares? If Pac truly wants to fight Mayweather, he will take the fight regardless of Mayweather's stupid conditions, which don't amount to anything. You didn't answer anything, why is Pac afraid to test that way? It is a stupid premise to claim that weakens you. Bull ****! The onus is on Pac and if he chooses not to fight for this stupid reason, his career is diminished in lots of peeps eyes, nothing you can say will change that perception.

Everyone knows Mayweather is a punk. Do you think Mayweather cares about peeps' perception of him? He has cast himself as the villain countless times. He evidently likes the role.

Everyone I talk to in my area thinks Pac just needs to man up and fight. That is the way to shut Mayweather up for good. If Pac chooses to wuss out, then it is on him.

As I have said, Big mouth Floyd is not in any position to change the rules. And Pacman is ready to fight Big mouth Floyd anytime, anywhere. After the fight against Clottey, Pacman was interviewed if he wants to fight Big mouth Floyd. And he said YES he wants to fight him. But its up to Big mouth Floyd to decide wheather if he wants to fight or not. Pacman agrees to have a blood test but not to close to the fight like big mouth Floyd wants to. And Pacman agreed also to be tested after the fight. If Pacman is really taking any drugs it will show up in the test after the fight. The substance will not just go away. It takes a few days to wear off right! So it means to say that Big mouth Floyd is to scared of Pacman that he makes up with this excuses not to fight Pacman. He knows, and everyone knows that his going to suffer his first lost against the Pacman. That's why his to scared to fight. Does that answers all your questions. Ok Muchacho.:comfort1:

jafo
04-06-2010, 06:35 PM
Nope, but you are too much of a pac fan to understand. Just fight the fight! Who gives a crap about Mayweather's conditions, which in the "real world", don't mean a dang thing? Why is Pac afraid to test? He needs to go ahead and fight, every doctor or nurse in the world can tell him his fears are unfounded about weakening him. BS excuse! Quit being a wuss and fight!

This fight aint gonna happen, because imo Mayweather is going to stick to his guns, and Pac is going into politics. Fans will not get the fight they want, because neither of them have to agree to this.

KIDWCKED
04-06-2010, 08:10 PM
Nope, but you are too much of a pac fan to understand. Just fight the fight! Who gives a crap about Mayweather's conditions, which in the "real world", don't mean a dang thing? Why is Pac afraid to test? He needs to go ahead and fight, every doctor or nurse in the world can tell him his fears are unfounded about weakening him. BS excuse! Quit being a wuss and fight!

This fight aint gonna happen, because imo Mayweather is going to stick to his guns, and Pac is going into politics. Fans will not get the fight they want, because neither of them have to agree to this.

this fight will happen..all in good time!!and dosen't matter if mosley beats pbf..pbf has gotten to pac now...and i think pac will give the world what they want!!!a megafight..then i think you will see pac retire.jmo cheer's jafo.

jafo
04-06-2010, 10:03 PM
Man, I hope so. Saw this weeks pound for pound rankings....Juan Manuel Marquez is #4 and he was completely dominated by PBF. Hopkins fight against Jones didn't help him, he dropped to 6th, which I think is too high for him. There are so many better boxers out there than Hopkins is now.

One thing about it. The Mayweather-Mosley fight should be a heck of a lot more entertaining than Pac-Clottey. That fight was a joke.(Almost as bad as Saturday night's non-event......lol).

KIDWCKED
04-06-2010, 10:23 PM
Man, I hope so. Saw this weeks pound for pound rankings....Juan Manuel Marquez is #4 and he was completely dominated by PBF. Hopkins fight against Jones didn't help him, he dropped to 6th, which I think is too high for him. There are so many better boxers out there than Hopkins is now.

One thing about it. The Mayweather-Mosley fight should be a heck of a lot more entertaining than Pac-Clottey. That fight was a joke.(Almost as bad as Saturday night's non-event......lol).

saturdays non event..lol :thumbsup:pac clottey was a non-event as well..jmm #4 or 6 is to high..lets see what happens with margarito and valero as well as pbf vs mosley..cotto is now being trained by E.Stewart,not sure if that means anything thou..cheer's jafo..peace.

glenn56
04-07-2010, 02:27 AM
if mayweather will win this fight on may i guess we will see a pacman mayweather on november 2010 or no matter what happen a pacman mayweather will be on november 2010:yeaah:

satman432
04-07-2010, 01:46 PM

Cool down amigo.:comfort1: I'm just trying to answer all of your questions to the best of my knowledge. From what I have heared and seen on the television. So cheers:cheers2:and be happy for the fight will happen.:comfort1::rockon:

KIDWCKED
04-07-2010, 06:35 PM
pac will not fight mayweather if there are blood tests,,urine tests set by the commision not a problem..so mayweather needs to decide on how bad he needs this fight.pac has stated that he will not retire even if elected..he still thou can make 15mil fighting valero,margarito,maybe cotto again or yuri forman..he dosen't need pbf,,the only reason he wants pbf is to destroy his legacy..peace..