PDA

View Full Version : Roach thinks Pacquiao should retire after Mayweather fight, says he might retire too

KIDWCKED
03-08-2010, 11:04 PM
c\p
March 8th, 2010
By Jason Kim: Manny Pacquiao’s trainer Freddie Roach says that he think that Pacquiao should get out of boxing and retire after a possible fight against Floyd Mayweather Jr. next. Roach seems to be overlooking completely the threat that Pacquiao has in front of him with a fight against Joshua Clottey bearing down on the Filipino fighter on March 13th. But Roach must be feeling pretty confident about Pacquiao’s chances in that fight for him to look ahead the way he is for a fight against Mayweather.

In an article at the Washingtonpost, Roach says “I’ve told Manny I’d like him to retire as a fighter after that [the fight against Mayweather, if there ever is one]. I want him healthy, wealthy and happy. I don’t ever want him having to take all the medication I have to take. I might retire too. I’ve been doing this a long time.”
A fight between Mayweather and Pacquiao would give not only both Pacquiao and Mayweather a huge million dollar payday, but Roach would get a nice payday as well. He might not need to train anymore fighters if he doesn’t want to after a mega fight like Mayweather-Pacquiao. However, it’s unclear whether Pacquiao or his promoter Bob Arum of Top Rank feel the same way that Roach does about the retirement talk. Pacquiao still has a number of big money opponents in front of him besides just Mayweather.
There’s not a lot of them, but there’s more than a few starting with Edwin Valero, a rematch with Miguel Cotto if he wins the WBA light middleweight title over Yuri Foreman in June [this would give Pacquiao a chance to win his 8th world title, something he has talked about wanting], a fight against Amir Khan, Saul Alvarez, Timothy Bradley, Devon Alexander or even Paul Williams.
Provided that Pacquiao continues to age well and fight often, there’s no reason to believe that he shouldn’t be able to squeeze in another six or seven fights before he hangs up the gloves. If I’m Pacquiao, I wouldn’t be listening to what Roach is saying about retirement. Pacquiao needs to listen to his body, and if he feels that he’s slowing down as a fighter, only then should he consider hanging up the gloves.
But right now, Pacquiao is dominating and isn’t showing any signs of going downhill as a fighter. If anything, Pacquiao appears to be getting better still. He seems to be one of those Bernard Hopkins type fighters that gets better with age rather than declines. He could have another four to six good years left him if he wants to.
At the very least, Pacquiao can dominate for another few years if he wants to. Pacquiao needs to go after the easy fights after he fights Mayweather. Valero, Cotto, and Khan would be the ideal fights for Pacquiao to take in that order. None of those fighters will last long against Pacquiao, and he’d be able to win those fights without taking a lot of wear and tear in the process.
I expect Mayweather to get by Shane Mosley in May, which is why I didn’t include Mosley on the list of fighters that Pacquiao should fight. However, if Mosley does beat Mayweather, then he is the next guy that Pacquiao should be going after and not Mayweather.
As far as Roach does with his retirement talk, if he wants to retire then by all means he can do that. But he needs to let Pacquiao be and not be trying to have him follow his own personal vision for him.

n3uspeed2
03-08-2010, 11:34 PM
Although I have always been a Manny fan....he seems to be very distracted...he's a fullltime boxer, politician.... and many other things he is trying to do at once. If he really wants to be a politician and a public icon that's great...pick one thing and put all of your efforts in it...doing alot of things at one time....sometimes will get the best of you.

He's human no different then us...I myself could never do what he does... I hope that he is still commited....for the up coming and I hope he brings it all like he has in the past. If he's not focused...that mistake will cost him. I like Clottey as well he seems like a very down to earth individual...he has nothing to loose but all to gain... I really feel sorry for him and I understand where he comes from....see's trying to seek his dreams and I respect that. As for Manny he's on top of the world....he's one of the best fighters that ever lived... but if he keeps thinking that he is invincible....he will pay the cost.... I think the stardom is having his focus everywhere else but boxing. You can do a 1000 things right...all it takes is one mistake that could be the start of your down fall.

KIDWCKED
03-08-2010, 11:47 PM
nice post speed,,well said..maybe that sums it up perhaps.we know what pbf has to prove and that is can he beat a true contender..as far as pacquaio,well he is in his prime and there are some better options than clottey.will pacquaio be satisfied with his acomplishments and leave us now?i don't think so,,not just yet because there is unfinished business and freakin huge money yet to be made by pacquaio and for that i think we will see pacquaio continue for a few more fights,,as he recently stated again i will fight anyone,,hopefully his legacy will continue!!but you never know because anyone can lose at any given time.even paquaio..jmo..cheer's .

n3uspeed2
03-09-2010, 12:00 AM
nice post speed,,well said..maybe that sums it up perhaps.we know what pbf has to prove and that is can he beat a true contender..as far as pacquaio,well he is in his prime and there are some better options than clottey.will pacquaio be satisfied with his acomplishments and leave us now?i don't think so,,not just yet because there is unfinished business and freakin huge money yet to be made by pacquaio and for that i think we will see pacquaio continue for a few more fights,,as he recently stated again i will fight anyone,,hopefully his legacy will continue!!but you never know because anyone can lose at any given time.even paquaio..jmo..cheer's .

I agree with you totally he is in his prime and yes there is no doubt that he does have what it takes.... but like I said... you can tell he has his mind on alot of other things then just boxing...I watch the alot of the documentary's on Manny...like the one road to the Cotto fight now road to the Clottey fight..... his mind is not focus..and alot of times Roach has to keep him in lined...that you got to do your training... Clottey is hungry...and he is focused....he wants it so bad.... and he is working hard to try to get that.... He's a good fighter...disciplined and well rounded.... If Manny comes in there unfocused....I believe Clottey has what it takes to take that from him. As for Manny he's on top of the world he feels unstoppable... Seems he worries way to much about the publicity and fame that he gets.......When you have everything....everyone wants to be your friend....and admire you etc...but when you loose everything....in due time you will be washed out......People only see you win you are a winner...it's the same as picking friends.... you never know what you have until you loose it.

KIDWCKED
03-09-2010, 12:19 AM
absolutely speed,,but clottey tires easliy and this should be a given for pac no matter how hungry clottey is...but then again you never know as you have stated..i would personally think that this weekend pac will destroy clottey,:grr:

n3uspeed2
03-09-2010, 12:22 AM
absolutely speed,,but clottey tires easliy and this should be a given for pac no matter how hungry clottey is...but then again you never know as you have stated..i would personally think that this weekend pac will destroy clottey,:grr:

I will root for both of them...I like Manny...but I feel for Clottey....I saw his little girl...in the video... he's fighting for her... you can tell they come from a hard life.... and i think that is a good motivation for him...for Manny just another pay check but for Clottey this will pay for his childs meals......and for a better life....

KIDWCKED
03-09-2010, 12:32 AM
I will root for both of them...I like Manny...but I feel for Clottey....I saw his little girl...in the video... he's fighting for her... you can tell they come from a hard life.... and i think that is a good motivation for him...for Manny just another pay check but for Clottey this will pay for his childs meals......and for a better life....

well i'm paying the dough to watch this bout and most aren't..due to the mismatch,,,i wish clottey the best.hopefully he shows some more stamina in the later rounds, his chin has always been a strong point..i would not count him out yet..but he has his hands full of pacquaio power to face, may the best man win..peace.

Chigaro
03-10-2010, 01:53 AM
Roach worries me a little, he doesn't look good. I hope he retires or finds a great 2nd in command. I don't see him retiring, boxing is in his dna.

Pacquiao, I hope fights another fight....the winner of Mosley Mayweather. An 8th title would be very cool.

I do believe that Pacquiao will retire shortly. He's forcing food down to keep his weight up. He won't do that long.

Anyhow, Toddr, I saw the Valero fight and I have to say Pacquiao would have the edge. I know you are watching Valero. He's not ready to step up. He took one hell of an elbow, wow, that was quite a gash. He needs to fight some better fighters and prepare for Pacquiao. Someone that will actually put up a good fight.

Cheers amigo

KIDWCKED
03-11-2010, 12:33 AM
Roach worries me a little, he doesn't look good. I hope he retires or finds a great 2nd in command. I don't see him retiring, boxing is in his dna.

Pacquiao, I hope fights another fight....the winner of Mosley Mayweather. An 8th title would be very cool.

I do believe that Pacquiao will retire shortly. He's forcing food down to keep his weight up. He won't do that long.

Anyhow, Toddr, I saw the Valero fight and I have to say Pacquiao would have the edge. I know you are watching Valero. He's not ready to step up. He took one hell of an elbow, wow, that was quite a gash. He needs to fight some better fighters and prepare for Pacquiao. Someone that will actually put up a good fight.

Cheers amigo

to true amigo..valero is not ready as of yet.but soon thou..he valero reminds me of margarito who as well is looking forward to some decent bouts in the near future.margarito vs pac?salud chicagro..

Chigaro
03-11-2010, 01:50 AM
salud amigo. valero will be a great fighter to watch. a couple more wins and he'll have as good a record as mayweather! i don't think manny has him on the radar as of yet....not enough of a draw.

i'll be watching the fight this weekend, the beginning of the setup for pacquiao mayweather or pacquiao mosley. good things are going to happen this year in boxing!

cheers amigo.

KIDWCKED
03-11-2010, 11:47 PM
salud amigo. valero will be a great fighter to watch. a couple more wins and he'll have as good a record as mayweather! i don't think manny has him on the radar as of yet....not enough of a draw.

i'll be watching the fight this weekend, the beginning of the setup for pacquiao mayweather or pacquiao mosley. good things are going to happen this year in boxing!

cheers amigo.

oh yes good things are already happening amigo...maybe clottey has something to prove saturday night..let the game's begin..salud chigaro..

Chigaro
03-12-2010, 02:03 AM
clottey has a fighter's body, anything can happen in the ring. he's going to be much bigger than pacquiao on fight night, maybe 20lbs.

i think pacquiao will will, but not as easy as i once thought.

well i guess i'll buy the fight online and watch. lol.

Condor
03-12-2010, 03:50 AM
Clottey is big and strong.. But he only knows how to fight one way and is not capable of making adjustments in mid-fight.. Manny will chop him down as he has everyone else....Salud...........:cor::cor::cor::cor:

KIDWCKED
03-12-2010, 10:26 PM
Clottey is big and strong.. But he only knows how to fight one way and is not capable of making adjustments in mid-fight.. Manny will chop him down as he has everyone else....Salud...........:cor::cor::cor::cor:

clottey has a great big chin in his favour and can take a beating..he clottey has to giver quick and early if he stands a chance because as alaways he runs out of stamina and loses..ps cotto never ko'd clottey and barely won by decision!!

Chigaro
03-13-2010, 04:00 AM
hey one thing we know for sure, this will be a fight.....not a dance.

i don't care for dancing with the stars, but boxing, well that's in my blood.

it'll be a good fight and i'll be watching it somewhere, haha.