PDA

View Full Version : Favre wearing purple in Green Bay will be strange sight

rwilli1
10-30-2009, 06:38 PM
Favre wearing purple in Green Bay will be strange sight

1 hour, 3 minutes ago

By Simon Evans

MIAMI (Reuters) - Brett Favre returns to Green Bay on Sunday for the first time with the Minnesota Vikings, lining up against the team where he broke so many records.

For most of the U.S. the 40-year-old quarterback's decision to play on, once his 16 years with the Packers ended, has been viewed with a mixture of humor and mild annoyance.

Aware of that, some Packers fans are trying to see the funny side of Favre's return in the purple jersey of their Minnesota rivals and the mayor of Green Bay has wisely decided mockery rather than hatred is a better image for his city.

Mayor Jim Schmitt declared a "Flip Flop Friday" with fans encouraged to wear the beach footwear to symbolize Favre's annual 'flip-flopping' over whether to retire or not.

Earlier this week Minnesota Avenue was renamed, for the weekend, Aaron Rodgers Avenue, in tribute to the quarterback who replaced Favre in the green and yellow jersey of the Packers.

Special Favre 'waffles' will be on sale this weekend, another barbed reference to his regular off-season failures to make a clear decision, and there are likely to be plenty of written signs to greet the number four when he runs out at Lambeau Field.

Favre spent last season with the New York Jets but did not face the Packers. Earlier this month though he took on his old team in Minnesota and shined, throwing for 271 yards and three touchdowns in a 30-23 win.

While the quarterback proved that day he can still deliver the goods despite his advancing years, Sunday will be about the reception he receives and how he handles it.

NO SENTIMENTS

Favre tried earlier this week to play down the emotional aspect saying "there are no sentiments really one way or another," and making an unconvincing attempt to portray the match as just another game to win.

Favre led the Packers to seven division titles, four NFC Championship games, two Super Bowl appearances and one Super Bowl victory.

He holds many NFL records including most career touchdown passes (464), most yards gained passing (65,127) and most wins by a quarterback (169). He also owns the mark for most consecutive starts for a quarterback (291, including playoff games).

With the two teams battling for top spot in the NFC North, the Vikings are 6-1 and the Packers 4-2, there is plenty at stake on Sunday regardless of the Favre factor.

A spicy atmosphere is expected and, in a television interview with the NFL Network, Favre asked for moderation from his former fans.

"All I ask is respect. What I did there goes without saying, I am proud of it. You may hate the Vikings or whatever but just respect what I've done over those years," he said.

Favre could end up disappointed. Already this year his image, when featured on the big screen, has prompted boos and Packers linebacker Nick Barnett says he is curious to see what response the quarterback receives.

"It's definitely going to be a weird feeling seeing him in a purple uniform at Lambeau," he told reporters.

"I am just really interested to see what the fans response will be. There will be people who support him and people who are mad he's playing for the Vikings.

"I can't wait. There is so much energy around the town," added Barnett.

The energy, however, transmits in both directions and the Vikings players are also looking forward to the big game buzz.

Running back Adrian Peterson, who along with Favre will be the main threat to the Packers, says he is relishing it.

"It is going to be bananas, going back where he played 16 years. We are just a game ahead of those guys but on top of that there is definitely more motivation, to go out and win it even more for Brett," he said.

(Editing by Tony Jimenez.)