PDA

View Full Version : Differences between IPTV and Android Box (Benefits)

adamgaudreau
12-06-2015, 03:57 PM
Can someone explain to me the benefits of the paid IPTV box and subscription over any android box that you don't pay for a membership? I'm sure the difference is big, but I'm just unaware.

Also, Avov or Mag box?

I had an SD FTA Box and miss channel surfing Charlie Satellite. Do you get all the satellite channels with these boxes so that you can just flick through?

tbird686
12-06-2015, 04:23 PM
well to be safe the avov box does both

the private and the kodi / tvonline

the paid services for me are easier you can just use your remote and surf the tv the kodi you usually use a key board but can use the remote but it takes some getting use to

the best thing try you tube and try to see videos on both look up
kodi
tvonline
then

ipguys is the private service or nfps

adamgaudreau
12-06-2015, 05:16 PM
well to be safe the avov box does both

the private and the kodi / tvonline

the paid services for me are easier you can just use your remote and surf the tv the kodi you usually use a key board but can use the remote but it takes some getting use to

the best thing try you tube and try to see videos on both look up
kodi
tvonline
then

ipguys is the private service or nfps

So it picks up the Charlie signal or just lists the same channels for watching?

tbird686
12-06-2015, 05:19 PM
the mag box or the avov do not do iks

i think the dream link t6 is the one right now that does all
iptv private server
kodi
and iks

i think

but read up on it i think it had some issues for the private iptv

they have the avov fuse with a tuner i thought did iks nope not at this time just true fta

i hope they make a bin for it so it too could do the iks

jedi
12-09-2015, 06:58 AM
I think you were asking what is the difference between paying for IPTV or getting it for free with something like Kodi or TvOnline.

For the older generation that are not as tech savvy the big difference is ease of use and better channel stability for the paid subscription.
I'm pretty tech savvy and can pretty much find any channel I want using the free stuff - but it takes a little while to find a stable channel and sometimes they are just not available. Also most of the good private paid IPTV services offer a good guide - just like you had with satellite IKS - so you can scroll down a list of channels - see what is on each channel and then select the channel you want to watch and it is all live - just like with IKS - it is not prerecorded stuff. Wtih most of the free IPTV live channels you won't get a guide showing you what live channels are available and what is on each channel - you have to do a bit of digging for yourself.

In my opinion if you are looking for something similar to what you had with your IKS satellite box and don't mind paying a small monthly fee - then a paid subscription to a private IPTV service is probably your best bet.
If you are tech savvy and don't mind doing a little research then most of the channels you get with the private paid services are available for free - but it will take you a little time to learn it.

Neither the paid or the free IPTV services are fully developed yet - they are getting better day by day - and new services are entering the market. You may find that your favourite channel is freezing badly or completely missing one day and then come back in a few hours or a few days. It is not like IKS where we had an ECM and everything is completely down - usually you will have something to watch that interests you.

In my opinion stick with a box like the Avov that does both private and free public IPTV - you'll always be able to find something to watch unless your home internet is completely down.

You don't need a satellite dish for IPTV - you just need a high speed internet connection. IPTV gets there programming from around the world - you will see channels from DirecTV, Dish Network, Bell ExpressVu, Sky in Europe, several different FTA satellites, OTA antennas from around the world and cable boxes. Thousands of different people around the world with legal or illegal receivers stream the channels from their receivers to the rest of the world.

Condor
12-09-2015, 03:46 PM
Great explanation Jedi..:thumbsup:

clarkBENT
12-09-2015, 04:20 PM
Are there differences between a Roku and an Android box? Pros vs cons?

jedi
12-09-2015, 07:24 PM
Are there differences between a Roku and an Android box? Pros vs cons?

The first IPTV receivers I tried were Roku and then a Mega. They were OK but at the time there was better programming available with the MAG254 receivers - so I switched to them. They were good for private IPTV service and Infomir, the manufacturer, had a few free public channels/services available - like Ted TV, a bunch of free radio channels and a few other channels about research, music, art, film making and that sort of stuff. It lacked good free Video on Demand movies and TV shows.
Next came the boxes, like Avov, that did both private IPTV and the free public IPTV stuff like 1 Channel, Kodi, TVAddons, DreamIPTV, YouTube, IceFilms .... etc. The private stuff has the TV guide and channel list that you can scroll through and select a channel and most private services offer a thousand or more good quality video on demand movies - but if your subscription expires or your service is down you can use the free IPTV stuff. You can find thousands of movies and TV shows.
but there isn't a good guide for the live TV stuff - so you have to a little searching instead to find what you want to watch.

Avov uses a service called MickyHop that makes it really easy to install the free stuff. From your main menu you click on Market, and just like your smart phone, you can click on various services/apps and channels to install. Find the app you want - click on it - then select install and within a few seconds it is fully configured and installed.
Their app - TVAddons - is a fully configured Kodi app. It will automatically install many of the most popular Kodi services for you like Genesis, 1Channel, IceFilms, Navi-X, Radio and Phoenix. Just install it and you are good to go - watch movies, TV shows and listen to music.
Kodi can be a bit intimidating to install and setup - but if you don't mind doing the heavy lifting - you can also install the bare Kodi app that you can configure yourself and add as many addons as you want. But if you want to try Kodi for the first time - I suggest using the TVAddons app for a while to get used to it and then move to the bare Kodi app if you feel adventurous.

I have heard that there are some good private IPTV services available for the Roku now - that are very stable and include a lot of sports packages - like NFL, NHL, NBA, MBL. I'm going to pull out one of my Rokus from storage and give it a try again.

Condor
12-09-2015, 08:50 PM
So do you have any of these AVOV'S Jedi???.. As I see 4 different models and do look very interesting...Please update us with your ROKU...

jedi
12-10-2015, 06:55 AM
So do you have any of these AVOV'S Jedi???.. As I see 4 different models and do look very interesting...Please update us with your ROKU...

LOL - yes I do have a few Avovs - I Like the TvOnLine+ (red) it is quad core and reasonably priced. Some of my family and friends have the older MAG boxes and the dual core Avovs (white) and they are wanting to upgrade to the new quad core Avovs.
I'm looking forward to checking out the new services available on the Rokus and will let you know what I find.

clarkBENT
12-10-2015, 07:02 AM
LOL - yes I do have a few Avovs - I Like the TvOnLine+ (red) it is quad core and reasonably priced. Some of my family and friends have the older MAG boxes and the dual core Avovs (white) and they are wanting to upgrade to the new quad core Avovs.
I'm looking forward to checking out the new services available on the Rokus and will let you know what I find.

I have a Roku 3 collecting dust. It'd be great if i could put it to use.