PDA

View Full Version : Rubens Barrichello joins a top team for Rolex 24

bigbadbrother
01-27-2016, 03:49 AM
By John Dagys
Jan 26, 2016 at 4:02p ET

Rubens Barrichello is set to compete in this weekend's Rolex 24 at Daytona, having been announced as a late addition to the Wayne Taylor Racing lineup for the IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship season opener.

The 43-year-old Brazilian will join brothers Ricky and Jordan Taylor, plus Max Angelelli in the team's Corvette DP, one of the favorites for the class honors.

It will mark Barrichello's third Rolex 24 start, after the ex-Formula One and IndyCar ace took part in last year's race in a Starworks Motorsport Riley-Dinan DP.

Prior to that, he made his debut at the wheel of a Dener Motorsport Porsche 911 GT3 Cup car in 2013, while also having races a Riley DP for Doran Racing at Indianapolis that year.

"When I recently expressed an interest to drive this year for Wayne and his team, he made it possible for me," Barrichello said.

"This is one of the most successful teams in the history of sports car racing and it’s a great pleasure to be able to race in the Rolex 24 with such a competitive team.

"I have known Max since we raced together in Formula 3 in the early ’90s, and I have been a fan of Ricky and Jordan for some time, now.

"If they’re not out there winning races, they always seem to be fighting to win at the end. I am looking forward to this opportunity."

Wayne Taylor added: "For us to add a fourth driver, it definitely has to be somebody who is at the top of his game and, quite simply, it’s a pleasure to add a guy like Rubens, who I have been in awe of for so many years.

"Jordan has been a little under the weather, lately, and with a race of this magnitude and intensity, you want to be sure you have plenty of driver support.

"This is something of a precautionary move, but to include a driver of Rubens’ caliber in our already stout driver lineup, we should be in absolutely great shape."