PDA

View Full Version : Ganassi Ford GT Le Mans lineup

bigbadbrother
03-14-2016, 11:32 PM
Tony DiZinno

As expected, Verizon IndyCar Series aces Sebastien Bourdais and Scott Dixon will join the lineup for this year’s 24 Hours of Le Mans.

Meanwhile, fellow sports car stars Billy Johnson and Harry Tincknell are the other two drivers confirmed to round out Ford Chip Ganassi Racing’s four-car Ford GT all-star lineup in the GTE-Pro class.

Ganassi and a team spokesperson confirmed early this week would be the time for the Ganassi Le Mans lineup to be revealed.

Additionally, this also confirms the full-season pairings for the FIA World Endurance Championship.

German Stefan Mücke, Frenchman Olivier Pla and Johnson – who performed a bulk of the testing – will be in the team’s No. 66 car.

“Ford’s history at Le Mans is one of the greatest motorsport stories of all time and this return after 50 years is arguably as meaningful and ambitious,” said Johnson. “Having won many races behind the wheel of Fords and having been a part of the development of the Ford GT, it’s truly an honor to be competing in the Le Mans 24 Hours on Ford’s historic return to the race. Like the original, the new Ford GT was built to win Le Mans and it’s such a fantastic car to drive.”

Meanwhile Scot Marino Franchitti, Guernsey-based Andy Priaulx and Englishman Tincknell, who has starred in Nissan LMP2 machinery in the past and is a 2014 Le Mans class winner with Jota Sport, form a very strong squad in the No. 67 Ford GT.

Bourdais continues alongside Joey Hand and German Dirk Mueller in the No. 68 Ford.

Dixon will make his Le Mans debut along with Englishman Richard Westbrook and Australian Ryan Briscoe in the No. 69 car. The move also reunites Dixon and Briscoe as teammates at Ganassi, as they were in 2005, 2013 and 2014 in IndyCar.

Both Le Mans lineups match the lineup they’ll have at Sebring this week, in the Nos. 66 and 67 Fords.

“For once I’m the rookie as this will be my first Le Mans,” said Dixon. “I’m excited to make my Le Mans debut in the Ford GT. I’ve been in the car a few times in testing so I know we have a great race car here. Like any driver it is a dream come true for me to race at Le Mans and I can’t wait to get started. The history of Ford at Le Mans is very well documented and I’m proud to be part of this very special program.”