PDA

View Full Version : The "Perfect Tank"

The Cobra
04-10-2016, 04:51 PM
Cobra.....
What a difference a year makes, what a difference of who`s in last makes. Last year at this time the Toronto media was busy ripping the Oilers and Sabres for "purposely" tanking for the rights to draft Connor McDavid 1st over all.........but this year it`s the Leafs so the spin on tanking is different. Last year the idea of tanking was deplorable (Toronto media) and teams guilty should be penalized(Toronto media)....this year it is nothing less the disguised(lmao) geniuses hard at work. MLSE has once again duped their fans.....losing now is a good thing(to MLSE)....and losing seasons over the next couple years is a better thing because we get better draft picks. If Leafs Nation actually buys this kind of slop MLSE and their media is feeding us having losing teams decade after decade after decade looks good on us. Things are indeed looking up in Leafland.........of course it is...we`re in last place...everything and anything is up.

Thumbs up to the Maple Leafs' “perfect tank"

By Dave Hodge

http://www.tsn.ca/polopoly_fs/1.380873.1445534677%21/fileimage/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_620/maple-leafs-mike-babcock.jpg
Maple Leafs Mike Babcock, CP

The Maple Leafs’ 30th-place finish has been described as the “perfect tank.” Here’s why.
Following the February 29th trade deadline, when their dressing room became a clearing house for free agents-to-be, the Leafs played well enough and won often enough to avoid the look of a team that was determined to lose.
In many of their defeats, they came up just one goal short. And all the while, they remained, quite respectably, in last place.
Near the end of the season, there were only two games that, had they won them, could have cost the Leafs the most favourable draft lottery odds. The first was Wednesday’s 5-1 loss on home ice to the Columbus Blue Jackets.
A Toronto win that night would have allowed the Edmonton Oilers to sit still in 30th place, but that was the night the Oilers said farewell to Rexall Place, and if it was ever important to win a meaningless game, that was the time, never mind one more first overall draft choice.
Edmonton’s win that night freed the Leafs to win again if they wished and they did, to the tune of Thursday’s 4-3 overtime decision in Philadelphia that caused the Flyers some temporary concern for their playoff future.
There was no way the Leafs could be accused of tanking when they upset a playoff-bound team on the road, thus avoiding a loss that would have cemented their 30th-place finish.
And so it was that last night that would decide last place. If the Leafs gained a point or two in New Jersey, and the Oilers failed to do the same in Vancouver, Toronto would finish 29th. The second game, only two, mind you, that had to be lost to guarantee the best odds in the draft lottery.
http://www.tsn.ca/polopoly_fs/1.391665%21/fileimage/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_300/auston-matthews.jpgAs they had done against Columbus in the first one, the Leafs scored first against the Devils, so there was more anti-tanking evidence, but they didn’t score thereafter and another 5-1 loss in New Jersey made it official - the 30th-place Leafs own a 20 per cent chance of landing the number one draft choice and the prize, Auston Matthews, that seemingly comes with it.
The Leafs never played well enough to rise above last place. They never played badly enough to be accused of intending to finish behind every other team. They did manage to lose twice when it absolutely mattered.
It was the “perfect tank.” “Thumbs down” if that’s what they intended. “Thumbs up” for making it hard to tell.

sonicmario
04-10-2016, 05:56 PM
lol they can only go up now, but make no mistake they are def not winning that lottery, buttman will have them picking 4th, probably somehow Arizona will land Mr. Matthews

The Cobra
04-10-2016, 06:23 PM
lol they can only go up now, but make no mistake they are def not winning that lottery, buttman will have them picking 4th, probably somehow Arizona will land Mr. Matthews

HAHA we have the same idea........although I have the Habs winning #1 pick no matter what the percentages are...as a Bettman reward for the John Scott fiasco that backfired on Bergevin and Bettman.

sonicmario
04-10-2016, 06:42 PM
HAHA we have the same idea........although I have the Habs winning #1 pick no matter what the percentages are...as a Bettman reward for the John Scott fiasco that backfired on Bergevin and Bettman.

Haha good point Cobra I never thought about that, makes logical sense though, yea John Scott made the league look like complete idiots I bet bettman didnt even pay him yet for winning at the allstar game

The Cobra
04-10-2016, 07:38 PM
Haha good point Cobra I never thought about that, makes logical sense though, yea John Scott made the league look like complete idiots I bet bettman didnt even pay him yet for winning at the allstar game
Yeah, there had to be something in it for Bergevin to get in bed with Bettman over the Scott deal in the first place...collusion at it`s finest hour and Bergevin got caught big time . My guess was either a guaranteed #1 pick or a guaranteed NO vote for Quebec getting a team.

sonicmario
04-10-2016, 07:56 PM
lol true enough, we shall see April 30th is the date of the lottery im pretty much more excited for this than for the playoffs, but there will be good hockey played thats for sure

The Cobra
04-10-2016, 08:39 PM
lol true enough, we shall see April 30th is the date of the lottery im pretty much more excited for this than for the playoffs, but there will be good hockey played thats for sure
Yup....knowing the Leafs they`ll win the lottery and soon enough they`ll take the podium and Dave Morrison will announce...
"with the #1 pick in the 2016 NHL Entry Draft the Toronto Maple Leafs are proud to select....from Uganda".....LMFAO

sonicmario
04-10-2016, 08:52 PM
haha I hope not that morrison is useless but hunter would never let let that happen... I hope

The Cobra
04-10-2016, 11:41 PM
haha I hope not that morrison is useless but hunter would never let let that happen... I hope
Nope....Dave Morrison has his complimentary seat at the draft table that includes a roll of duct tape in case he opens his mouth...he`s already played a huge role in the mess the Leafs are in. The ball is in Shanahan and esp Mark Hunter`s hands. I`m loving what`s coming out from the media today....Shanny saying we`re already ahead of the rebuild program....then Babs coming on and saying we`re only just beginning the rebuild.
Of the guys that came up for their audition Nylander was certainly the cream of the crop and possibly the Russian kid(#41 I think) as well......the rest of them looked reasonably good because the rest are so bad. Gauthier still moves like he`s tied to cement blocks, Sparks coughs up more stuff than a 3 pk a day chain smoker.

sonicmario
04-11-2016, 12:12 AM
Nope....Dave Morrison has his complimentary seat at the draft table that includes a roll of duct tape in case he opens his mouth...he`s already played a huge role in the mess the Leafs are in. The ball is in Shanahan and esp Mark Hunter`s hands. I`m loving what`s coming out from the media today....Shanny saying we`re already ahead of the rebuild program....then Babs coming on and saying we`re only just beginning the rebuild.
Of the guys that came up for their audition Nylander was certainly the cream of the crop and possibly the Russian kid(#41 I think) as well......the rest of them looked reasonably good because the rest are so bad. Gauthier still moves like he`s tied to cement blocks, Sparks coughs up more stuff than a 3 pk a day chain smoker.
yes Soshnikov is that russian yes hes going to be good, it was funny when uncle leo was translating for him, nylander is the best prospect we have, im wondering what they are going to do with marner he is too good for junior and cant play in the AHL next year,we need a goalie even if were tanking Bernier is good for 1 and bad for 3, and yes Sparks was there to finish the Tank off in style lol the guy is an AHLer for life...., Maybe we can look at bringing reims back for a bit or something, and on defense we need all the help we can get lol, Reilly and Gardiner and than it drops off like a freight train.

The Cobra
04-11-2016, 12:26 AM
yes Soshnikov is that russian yes hes going to be good, it was funny when uncle leo was translating for him, nylander is the best prospect we have, im wondering what they are going to do with marner he is too good for junior and cant play in the AHL next year,we need a goalie even if were tanking Bernier is good for 1 and bad for 3, and yes Sparks was there to finish the Tank off in style lol the guy is an AHLer for life...., Maybe we can look at bringing reims back for a bit or something, and on defense we need all the help we can get lol, Reilly and Gardiner and than it drops off like a freight train.
Marner is min 2 yrs away.......he`ll get killed in the NHL. I usually scream myself hoarse at Gardiner`s defense each and every game but actually he`s done somewhat better the last half of this season as far as not getting lost admiring behind the other team`s red line LOL.....Marancin is a beauty....he keeps you laughing the entire game...he`s a defensive nightmare with no equal.

sonicmario
04-11-2016, 12:42 AM
Yes Marner should go back to junior and do 1 more year, I suppose he could go to europe and play with men, but I dont think Shanahan likes that because he pulled nylander back to the Ahl last year, and Marincin should be traded for future considerations lol.

Anubis
04-11-2016, 01:06 PM
Yes Marner should go back to junior and do 1 more year, I suppose he could go to europe and play with men, but I dont think Shanahan likes that because he pulled nylander back to the Ahl last year, and Marincin should be traded for future considerations lol.
Shanny brought Nylander back because he need someone that could skate with the puck and score to emphasise that there is actually a player wortwile for the"rebuild". If he did not at least showcase someone then leaf nation would be groaning about the rebuild.