PDA

View Full Version : Hey Dad..........

The Cobra
04-14-2016, 01:40 PM
When your kid utters these 2 words it means work.....work for you. My daughter called the other day "my lawnmower is a piece of %$^#, it won`t start.....boo hoo hoo I`ll have to buy another one..........unless you can fix it".........unless you can fix it famous last words.
Anyway...here`s the issues........Sears Craftsman model 944 363201 front gear drive with a Briggs&Stratton 6.75 MRS engine. I`m guessing about 15 yrs old. Spark plug never been changed, air filters never been changed, oil never been changed etc. Anyway I replaced all and got the machine purring like a kitten. Cleaned all the rope, trimmer twine etc out from the belt drive assembly and the self drive wheel assembly. Everything working perfectly.
Ran the mower for a bit to warm up the oil before changing it to get the sludge out.........went to drain the oil....went to drain the oil....looking.....looking......WTF??? there`s no drain plug??? on this freakin thing????
Went to a Sears fix it site on line and I`m told you have to tip the machine over to drain the oil???? you gotta be kidding.....there has to be a better way I`m figuring...

Anyone come across this before because I`ve fixed a few mowers and never came across one that you were required to tip the machine to change the oil.
Have at it boys cause I`m doing it today.

bigbadbrother
04-14-2016, 01:48 PM
Yep you have to tip it up or use a Mityvac https://sp.yimg.com/xj/th?id=OIP.M2114c9845e281c303e9bb28bf1824f5aH0&pid=15.1&P=0&w=300&h=300 but tipping it will cost much less.

The Cobra
04-14-2016, 01:50 PM
I knew I could count on you pal...............tipping it is. Thanx bud

The Noof
04-14-2016, 01:52 PM
Yup...a siphon bro.
Nothing like a manufacturer encouraging regular maintenance.
If you use a siphon, it will prevent an oily mess all over the deck.

TLG
04-14-2016, 01:58 PM
I had one of these ,,,, not sure if it was the same model
The drain plug was right underneath the mower ,,,

tip it to the side use a steel brush to remove debris build up
and search for the plug ,,, move the blade out of the way and keep
searching it's there somewhere under the 15 year caked on crap

good luck bud ,, what are daughters for if they can't unload their
problems on good ol'dad .. LOL

bigbadbrother
04-14-2016, 02:05 PM
Cobra. Can you post a picture of it. TLG's post has me thinking.

bigbadbrother
04-14-2016, 02:10 PM
Nevrmind. look here for the service manual

http://www.manualslib.com/manual/32614/Craftsman-944-36153.html#manual

chicot60
04-14-2016, 02:29 PM
Could not find a drain plug on my Sear's mower. Had to tip it.

runamok
04-14-2016, 02:43 PM
There should be drain plugs on the bottom.If it is self propelled it may be above belt cover or near the belt keeper bracket near belt pulley.Use the end of a shocket extension to remove the plug.

The Noof
04-14-2016, 02:44 PM
Even worse than that:Early models of the "Smart" car didn't have an oil drain plug.Oil has to be changed siphoning via the dipstick tube.Smart car my ass.

Gates07
04-14-2016, 02:45 PM
usually i have to remove the blade which needs sharping anyway, then use an 4"extension to remove the plug, just make sure you have a pan with news paper under it all so in case you spill some

The Cobra
04-14-2016, 05:31 PM
Well kids...the job is done. I looked everywhere etc etc to find an oil plug........finally I tipped it over and drained the oil. I later stopped at my local hardware to pick up other supplies and...

The Cobra
04-14-2016, 05:39 PM
Yup...a siphon bro.
Nothing like a manufacturer encouraging regular maintenance.
If you use a siphon, it will prevent an oily mess all over the deck.

The "oily mess" is located with other small oil jobs I dump..............buried in a can in my ex wife`s garden.