PDA

View Full Version : Drop The Freakin` Puck!!!

The Cobra
04-17-2016, 05:58 PM
http://wildxtra.com/uploads/monthly_11_2015/ccs-16-0-26815800-1447736524.gif

There....that`s called an NHL face off. The players line up in position and the linesman drops the freakin` puck so the fans can watch the game being played.
Once again this season now that all cameras are tuning in to the playoffs some of the on ice officials seem to think we fans buy our tickets or tune in our TV to watch them. None of us tune in to watch a linesman give an abbreviated rendition of War and Peace to players in the face off circle......just drop the puck and disappear because it`s a hockey game not The Linesman Show.
This season`s playoff officials so far are doing a lousy job right across the board calling penalties, ignoring penalties etc basicly contributing to the players frustrations leading to the fighting.
One wonders just how much the reversal and adjusting of the suspension of Dennis Wideman by the NHL in his appeal had to do with the actions now of the officials. In case you weren`t aware Wideman was suspended for hitting a linesman for 20 games.....and the appeal was his suspension be cut to 10 games.
Payback by on ice officials en mass has happened before (2011 Playoffs) and looks like it may be happening again.

DROP THE PUCK!!!

The Cobra
04-17-2016, 06:08 PM
How many times in this post season are we seeing linesmen taking forever to drop the puck, fake dropping the puck, throwing guys out of the faceoff circle, admonishing players etc......... all because they want a little spotlight.

http://wildxtra.com/uploads/monthly_11_2015/ccs-16-0-86402000-1447736517.gif

The Cobra
04-17-2016, 06:11 PM
Maybe this is the answer...............

https://postmediaprovince.files.wordpress.com/2016/01/sbisa.gif?w=480&h=269

or a 2 hander across the shins while taking a faceoff.

sonicmario
04-17-2016, 06:47 PM
Haha yes Ive been watching most of the games and seeing the reffing go down hill, I mean the fighting and so forth has been the worst ive seen it especially after whistles, the calls are not evening up or even close, I remember Don cherry saying about the refs taking an eternity to drop the puck, like you said we want to watch the teams play not the refs. great post cobra and agree 100%

The Cobra
04-17-2016, 06:56 PM
Haha yes Ive been watching most of the games and seeing the reffing go down hill, I mean the fighting and so forth has been the worst ive seen it especially after whistles, the calls are not evening up or even close, I remember Don cherry saying about the refs taking an eternity to drop the puck, like you said we want to watch the teams play not the refs. great post cobra and agree 100%

Cobra..
This may be the piece you remember of Cherry included with the rules for face offs that the refs themselves had a hand in tweaking.....till the cameras rolled.

C/P from Hockey Writers..

A few years ago, the NHL made a number of minor rule changes in an attempt to speed up the game. Perhaps the most direct attempt at reducing the length of time it took to complete a contest was the introduction of the “hurry up face-off” procedure.
The rule reads like this:

76.3 Procedure – As soon as the line change procedure has been completed by the Referee (http://thehockeywriters.com/tag/referee/) and he lowers his hand to indicate no further changes, the Linesman conducting the face-off shall blow his whistle. This will signal to both teams that they have no more than five (5) seconds to line up for the ensuing face-off. At the end of the five (5) seconds (or sooner if both centers are ready), the Linesman will conduct a proper face-off.
Essentially, after the line changes are complete, the centers have 5 seconds to line up and be ready for the draw. Or else…
This inevitably led to a number of controversial decisions by linesmen to simply drop the puck before both teams were ready. On rare occurrences, this would even lead directly to a goal, like it did for the Panthers in Pittsburgh back in October of 2011:
Well, it appears as though times have changed.
As Don Cherry has so elegantly pointed out (http://www.cbc.ca/player/Shows/ID/2227200275/) several times over the last year, there is an epidemic in the NHL today – linesman taking entirely too long to drop the puck.
In this case, it’s hard to disagree with him.
Between a fake drop, kicking one player out of the dot, another fake drop, kicking the other center out of the circle, arguing with both players about why they were removed, a third fake drop, and finally an actual face-off, the whole procedure appears to be taking longer than ever.
The officials themselves appear to be contradicting the spirit of the rule they’re meant to enforce.
And as a fan, it’s frustrating to watch.
Now don’t get me wrong, the importance of ensuring a perfectly fair face-off late in a closely contested game, deep in one team’s zone is obvious, but when players are being waved out of the draws incessantly during opening face-offs and neutral zone draws, some common sense needs to be applied.
What’s worse is that clever coaches are catching on to these linesmen’s habits and using them to their advantage, delaying play even further.
Remember how not allowing a line change after an icing (http://thehockeywriters.com/icing-hockey-the-rules/) was supposed to deter teams from dumping the puck down the ice and consequently speed up the game? Well, not anymore.
Next time you watch a game, count how many times you see a winger line up to take the face-off after an icing call. They’re purposely trying to get themselves waved out in order to buy more time for their tired teammates. Clever, no?
http://i1.wp.com/thehockeywriters.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/fisher_kane_faceoff-300x300.jpg?fit=300%2C198 (http://thehockeywriters.com/?attachment_id=34900)

It’s time for the NHL to re-establish the hurry up face-off and clearly explain to linesman and officials the reasoning behind it. What’s the point in forcing players to rush to the dot, only to have a linesman severely hold up the process?
Personally, I can live with the rare puck drop before my team is ready. What’s much harder to swallow is clear over-complication of the procedure and watching every face-off take 10-15 seconds longer than it should.

sonicmario
04-17-2016, 07:20 PM
good points, and yes ive witnessed the wingers after an icing get kicked out on purpose, they should implement some sort of delay of game penalty if caught doing it, but your right something has to be done to speed up the puck drop but maybe they are doing it on purpose after the wideman incident, lots wrong with the officiating after that suspension got reduced to 10 games. I knew something was going to happen after they went to that independent arbitrator.

The Cobra
04-17-2016, 07:24 PM
Series i had noticed in particular was the Wings/Bolts. In TB all the 1st period penalties went heavy against the Wings...all 2nd period penalties went against the Lightning. Results...complete mayhem in the 3rd period frustrating players into the fights we all saw between 2 pretty clean teams. We`ll see if the opposite hold true in Detroit tonite because this turned into a nastier series than many thought.......I managed to cop a couple tickets for all the Detroit home games so I hope they win(or I have to buy dinner). I don`t see them getting past TB tho

The Cobra
04-17-2016, 07:28 PM
good points, and yes ive witnessed the wingers after an icing get kicked out on purpose, they should implement some sort of delay of game penalty if caught doing it, but your right something has to be done to speed up the puck drop but maybe they are doing it on purpose after the wideman incident, lots wrong with the officiating after that suspension got reduced to 10 games. I knew something was going to happen after they went to that independent arbitrator.
Yeah......in 2011 playoffs they came under criticism late in the season (I can`t remember why) and their actions in the playoffs were indeed a response as later hinted at by several refs after the fact. My guess is that`s what`s going on here as well.

sonicmario
04-17-2016, 07:42 PM
Series i had noticed in particular was the Wings/Bolts. In TB all the 1st period penalties went heavy against the Wings...all 2nd period penalties went against the Lightning. Results...complete mayhem in the 3rd period frustrating players into the fights we all saw between 2 pretty clean teams. We`ll see if the opposite hold true in Detroit tonite because this turned into a nastier series than many thought.......I managed to cop a couple tickets for all the Detroit home games so I hope they win(or I have to buy dinner). I don`t see them getting past TB tho
Yea not sure I can see Detroit get past Tampa lol but you never know, this is the one series I have not caught much of, but I did catch that 3rd period, and I can honestly say ive never seen detroit get that nasty in a very long time, its not like them at all, but I agree the penalties peed them off totally made them snap!

The Cobra
04-17-2016, 08:08 PM
Mrazek playing goal tonite....guess Howard played "just OK" LMFAO. Actually Mrazek is a decent puck handler...Wins obviously trying to negate some of TB`s speed in the offensive zone and a breakout of their own. Datsyuk looks hurting and Zetterburg looks real old.....the Wings have a lot of problems coming and no Jim Nill to fix them now............let Ken Holland earn a little of the press he`s taken credit for in the past few years. Jim Nill going to Dallas was a bigger hit to the Detroit team than many people were aware.
Getting picked up in 15 mins so I`m outta here till after the after game refreshments are finished. LOL

sonicmario
04-17-2016, 08:35 PM
Yea and Datsyuk may be leaving to go back to Russia, so wonder if his cap will remain on the books, and Yea Mrazek will play just ok according to Carlyle lmao, have fun at the game maybe detroit will pull a win off, if not hopefully dinner doesnt cost you too much... lol

The Cobra
04-18-2016, 03:37 PM
Yea and Datsyuk may be leaving to go back to Russia, so wonder if his cap will remain on the books, and Yea Mrazek will play just ok according to Carlyle lmao, have fun at the game maybe detroit will pull a win off, if not hopefully dinner doesnt cost you too much... lol
If I had lost dinner it wouldn`t be too much of a hit.............losing the bar tab for four would be much worse.
The refs and the linesmen actually stayed out of the game this time and it ended up a decent game. Got to see the Isles/Fl OT form the bar.....do you catch the puck drop in OT when the linesman faked the drop 3X then chased the Fla player out of the circle yapping all the time......we were all going nuts.
Tues...I`m not drinking...................least that`s what I say now LOL. I`m hurtin`.....On the bright side Lafayette Coneys on tap for after the game Tues.

sonicmario
04-18-2016, 03:52 PM
If I had lost dinner it wouldn`t be too much of a hit.............losing the bar tab for four would be much worse.
The refs and the linesmen actually stayed out of the game this time and it ended up a decent game. Got to see the Isles/Fl OT form the bar.....do you catch the puck drop in OT when the linesman faked the drop 3X then chased the Fla player out of the circle yapping all the time......we were all going nuts.
Tues...I`m not drinking...................least that`s what I say now LOL. I`m hurtin`.....On the bright side Lafayette Coneys on tap for after the game Tues.

Yea I seen that in OT with the linesman I screamed at the T.V lol, did u see boyle waving his arms like a chicken at abdelkator lol that was priceless, well atleast it was a good game to see and Detroit is making this a series as long as they keep Mrazek in the pipes

The Cobra
04-18-2016, 04:48 PM
Yea I seen that in OT with the linesman I screamed at the T.V lol, did u see boyle waving his arms like a chicken at abdelkator lol that was priceless, well atleast it was a good game to see and Detroit is making this a series as long as they keep Mrazek in the pipes
Yeah LMAO we all saw Boyle`s chicken dance at Abdelkader.......many many times Justin makes poor decisions but this wasn`t one of them. The way these refs are calling and not calling penalties who knows how that would have gone. We sit reasonably close to the TB bench and they were all giving it to him trying to draw him into "the stupids" but he didn`t bite this time.