PDA

View Full Version : Habs NOT Shopping Subban

The Cobra
06-24-2016, 12:40 AM
Cobra
So Bergevin feels the need to go public 1 day before the 2016 draft to announce the Habs are NOT shopping their overpaid defenseman PK Subban indicating exactly the opposite. Habs would love to move up from their #9 spot in the draft and they would love to use an overpaid Subban for some cap relief to do it.

BUFFALO, N.Y. — Montreal Canadiens general manager Marc Bergevin wouldn't go as far to say never, but insisted that his team is not shopping P.K. Subban.

Speaking after the GM meetings on Thursday, which precede the NHL draft in Buffalo, Bergevin sought to quiet speculation about his Norris trophy-winning defenceman following comments earlier in the day from Vancouver Canucks GM Jim Benning, who said he inquired on Subban.
"It's not even listening to offers is I'm taking calls," Bergevin said. "When a GM calls me I don't know who he's calling me about so I answer the phone. Yes, I've received calls on P.K., but I'm not shopping P.K. Subban. I can tell you that."
Asked if it was realistic that a trade could take place with Subban, who's posted more points than every defenceman but Erik Karlsson over the past five seasons, Bergevin replied: "I would say no."
"Of course you never say never," he added later. "If somebody offered me half of their team well you've got to make it work, but it's not my intention."
The Canadiens are coming off a wildly disappointing season which saw them race out to a 19-4-3 start only to unravel entirely with No. 1 goaltender Carey Price sidelined by injury.
If not quite to the Norris trophy levels he established in winning the award in 2013, Subban still posted 51 points in 68 games, tied for ninth among NHL defenders. He also boasted positive puck possession numbers. He averaged more than 26 minutes per game, trailing only four others at his position.
Still, an undercurrent of discontent lingered last season, highlighted by critical comments from head coach Michel Therrien following a mid-February game against Colorado, one that saw a Subban error lead to the game-deciding goal.
Bergevin, though, said he and the organization were happy with Subban and his growth in Montreal.
"Personally, we've never said anything (bad) about P.K.," said Bergevin. "Off the ice, he's busy, but he performs, he works, he's on time, he does all the right things so what he does off the ice it's good for him.
"P.K., since I've been in Montreal, his game has improved a lot," Bergevin continued. "Last year as a team, and I'm sure not blaming P.K. Subban, as a team we didn't get the job done."
Bergevin said he was pleased to learn recently that Price would be "100 per cent" for the start of next season. Price, who is expected to play for Canada at the World Cup in September, injured his knee in late November and did not return for the remainder of last season.
The Canadiens, who finished with the fourth-worst record in the Eastern Conference in his absence, hold the ninth-overall pick at the upcoming draft.
Montreal's GM was forced to clarify his team's position on Subban after Benning told TSN Radio in Vancouver that the Canucks had inquired on Subban.
Bergevin said such calls were not unusual. He recalled one on another top Canadiens player two years earlier, an unidentified member of the club who remains with the team to this day.
"It's part of the other GM's (job) to do their due diligence on players that are available," Bergevin said. "I've called teams on players in the past that I was 99 per cent (sure weren't available). I made the call anyways. I'm sure they do the same thing.
"He's an all-star defenceman," Bergevin said of Subban. "He's extremely good. If I would be (on) another team I would be calling too."

The Cobra
06-24-2016, 12:52 AM
BTW.........don`t be surprised to see the Jets take Puljujarvi over Laine at #2 tomorrow nite. Matthews is a certainty to go to the Leafs at #1................Now Subban for a #3 + would be pretty attractive for the Habs and save them a lot of cap space while they were at it. Oh that`s right Bergevin isn`t shopping Subban is he. LMFAO

dishuser
06-24-2016, 12:58 AM
he would be an idiot to trade him
a team builds themselves around a goalie and they lost that and the season

The Cobra
06-24-2016, 01:40 AM
he would be an idiot to trade him
a team builds themselves around a goalie and they lost that and the season
Don`t be so sure........Subban is a horrible cap hit for what he brings to the table defensively....his offensive numbers are so impressive on the Habs mainly because the Habs are not exactly gifted offensively. Habs are a goalie....no Price no Habs... as we witnessed last year. The Habs would IMO love to move up in the draft to get a scorer..........besides Subban and Price they have no one to offer to accomplish that. No way Price goes anywhere so that leaves Subban who at least in my mind is attractive trade bait before the draft.
Subban is a $9 mill cap hit for the next 8 yrs....he got 6 goals and 51 pts last year and was seen rarely on the PK....those numbers make a player very expendable, but who will take the bait and for what is another question..

TLG
06-24-2016, 03:06 AM
I don't like Subby, ,, never did ,, not even even when he played junior
For me it was always his attitude ...

Here's the thing,, last year subban's agent got in a stalemate trying
to negotiate an 8.5M over 6 years with the Habs brass ,,, they were
offering 6M over 4 years

Then out of nowhere,, out comes Molson and offers him 9M over 9
years .... WTF !!!!!

So ,,,, as much as I would like to see him go ,,,,, I wouldn't bet on it ,,
Subby is going to be a Hab for a long time, not only because the fans
love him for his 10 Million dollar donation to the children's hospital
But also because NO OTHER team would pick up his salary

Subby and Price are the Pepsi and May West to the francophone fans

Cest sur , Cest sur, cest sur, mes bons amis :)

The Cobra
06-24-2016, 11:35 AM
I don't like Subby, ,, never did ,, not even even when he played junior
For me it was always his attitude ...

Here's the thing,, last year subban's agent got in a stalemate trying
to negotiate an 8.5M over 6 years with the Habs brass ,,, they were
offering 6M over 4 years

Then out of nowhere,, out comes Molson and offers him 9M over 9
years .... WTF !!!!!

So ,,,, as much as I would like to see him go ,,,,, I wouldn't bet on it ,,
Subby is going to be a Hab for a long time, not only because the fans
love him for his 10 Million dollar donation to the children's hospital
But also because NO OTHER team would pick up his salary

Subby and Price are the Pepsi and May West to the francophone fans

Cest sur , Cest sur, cest sur, mes bons amis :)
You know how fickle fans are.............no matter how much they love you the second you get a scorer that produces they`d forget all about Subban and start pointing out his defensive liabilities.
Remember they said Phaneuf and Kessels` contracts were immovable........Subban at $8.5 is a rip now but in 6 yrs it will be norm so with a little production it won`t look so bad then.

bobby
06-24-2016, 12:22 PM
You know how fickle fans are.............no matter how much they love you the second you get a scorer that produces they`d forget all about Subban and start pointing out his defensive liabilities.
Remember they said Phaneuf and Kessels` contracts were immovable........Subban at $8.5 is a rip now but in 6 yrs it will be norm so with a little production it won`t look so bad then.
not so sure about that price range being the norm for defensively challenged defence men in 6yrs, plus the cap would have to increase an incredible amount to accomodate not just salaries like subban's but other star players on your team and i dont see the cap going up that much in the next 5-6yrs, the cap is in place to help teams that are not wealthy stay competitive in the nhl, some teams now are having a hard time reaching the minimum cap number to ice a team so imo the cap will go up just don't think it will sky rocket where a 9 million cap hit will be the norm for a defence man who mainly focus's on offence

Mr Hanky
06-24-2016, 12:43 PM
His defensive skills have cost them many a games. I would like to see them move up in the draft but don't think this years crop of players is special by any means. Habs picking ninth is as good as any . Feel sorry for the Leafs they get a number 1 pick and there's no Gretzky or Crosby type player . Maybe Stamkos is still on there minds. lol

The Cobra
06-24-2016, 12:54 PM
not so sure about that price range being the norm for defensively challenged defence men in 6yrs, plus the cap would have to increase an incredible amount to accomodate not just salaries like subban's but other star players on your team and i dont see the cap going up that much in the next 5-6yrs, the cap is in place to help teams that are not wealthy stay competitive in the nhl, some teams now are having a hard time reaching the minimum cap number to ice a team so imo the cap will go up just don't think it will sky rocket where a 9 million cap hit will be the norm for a defence man who mainly focus's on offence
Oh I agree with you 100%............however with some of the stupid contracts being thrown out there over the next 6 yrs Subban`s may not look so bad by then and I`ll hold to that.....only time will tell.

TLG
06-24-2016, 01:00 PM
lots of good talent in this years draft ........

montreal is said to be interested in Pierre-Luc Dubois ,, who Don Cherry would say "he's a good ol french canadian boy"
and the montreal canadians fans are already excited about

stamkos is in the radar ,,, and let's not forget Jonathan Drouin could also possiblybe a montreal prospect

The Cobra
06-24-2016, 01:04 PM
His defensive skills have cost them many a games. I would like to see them move up in the draft but don't think this years crop of players is special by any means. Habs picking ninth is as good as any . Feel sorry for the Leafs they get a number 1 pick and there's no Gretzky or Crosby type player . Maybe Stamkos is still on there minds. lol
Habs need scoring........they would donate anyone other than Price gladly to move up to the top 4 IMHO. Stammer to the Leafs would be a huge mistake....the Leafs should be thrilled at Matthews as their #1...scorer, playmaker and leader in the making. He`ll make Marner or Nylander etc post up big numbers for a long time, give those kids 2-3 yrs of good health and they will gel together beautifully(I hope). The Leafs have to address their defensively challenged team before they move up anywhere of importance.......with the addition of Frederik Anderson it`s a great start.

The Cobra
06-24-2016, 01:09 PM
lots of good talent in this years draft ........

montreal is said to be interested in Pierre-Luc Dubois ,, who Don Cherry would say "he's a good ol french canadian boy"
and the montreal canadians fans are already excited about

stamkos is in the radar ,,, and let's not forget Jonathan Drouin could also possiblybe a montreal prospect
I said a long time ago that Stammer would end either in Montreal or Detroit...........Dubois is certainly the focus of Montreal and should be......but I`m seeing him go either 6 or 7, I don`t think he`ll last till 9 so Bergevin has got some dealing to do.

Mr Hanky
06-25-2016, 06:48 PM
Nothing exciting happened during the draft...so its off to free agency next. Bergevin hasn't done anything brilliant lately.

The Cobra
06-25-2016, 09:37 PM
Nothing exciting happened during the draft...so its off to free agency next. Bergevin hasn't done anything brilliant lately.
Maybe Bergevin`s brilliance ended with the John Scott fiasco LOL.....
Don`t look now but the Wings got rid of Datsyuk`s contract last nite........Stamkos money under the cap is now available to the Wings

TLG
06-29-2016, 08:12 PM
PK Subban For Shea Weber? Canadiens, Predators Reportedly Swap D-Men

NHL Scoreboard Stats Standings Teams Players Odds PK Subban For Shea Weber? Canadiens, Predators Reportedly Swap D-Men by Mike Cole on Wed, Jun 29, 2016 at 3:59PM2,609 Share this: P.K. Subban’s time in Montreal appears over, but the Canadiens aren’t walking away empty-handed. The Canadiens on Wednesday agreed to trade Subban to the Nashville Predators in a deal that sends longtime Nashville defenseman Shea Weber to Montreal, according to Sportsnet’s Nick Kypreos. #Blockbuster @CanadiensMTL trade PK Subban to @PredsNHL for Shea Weber #wow @Sportsnet @NHL. — Nick Kypreos (@RealKyper) June 29, 2016 Subban and Weber are considered two of the best defensemen in the NHL, but they certainly are at different points in their careers. Subban is just 27, while Weber will be 31 when the 2016-17 begins in October. Subban had a “down” season by very relative standards in 2015-16, playing in only 68 games and totaling six goals and 45 assists. However, he’s a Norris Trophy winner (2013) who brings a lot to the table both on and off the ice. Weber, meanwhile, was the face of the Nashville franchise during its most successful seasons in franchise history. The four-time All-Star posted 20-31-51 totals last season. UPDATE (4:02 p.m. ET): Elliotte Friedman just reported that the deal is Subban for Weber straight up. Subban for Weber is straight up. One for one.

Open Sky
06-29-2016, 09:13 PM
Bye Bye Soupcan.

The Cobra
06-30-2016, 12:49 AM
PK Subban For Shea Weber? Canadiens, Predators Reportedly Swap D-Men

NHL Scoreboard Stats Standings Teams Players Odds PK Subban For Shea Weber? Canadiens, Predators Reportedly Swap D-Men by Mike Cole on Wed, Jun 29, 2016 at 3:59PM2,609 Share this: P.K. Subban’s time in Montreal appears over, but the Canadiens aren’t walking away empty-handed. The Canadiens on Wednesday agreed to trade Subban to the Nashville Predators in a deal that sends longtime Nashville defenseman Shea Weber to Montreal, according to Sportsnet’s Nick Kypreos. #Blockbuster @CanadiensMTL trade PK Subban to @PredsNHL for Shea Weber #wow @Sportsnet @NHL. — Nick Kypreos (@RealKyper) June 29, 2016 Subban and Weber are considered two of the best defensemen in the NHL, but they certainly are at different points in their careers. Subban is just 27, while Weber will be 31 when the 2016-17 begins in October. Subban had a “down” season by very relative standards in 2015-16, playing in only 68 games and totaling six goals and 45 assists. However, he’s a Norris Trophy winner (2013) who brings a lot to the table both on and off the ice. Weber, meanwhile, was the face of the Nashville franchise during its most successful seasons in franchise history. The four-time All-Star posted 20-31-51 totals last season. UPDATE (4:02 p.m. ET): Elliotte Friedman just reported that the deal is Subban for Weber straight up. Subban for Weber is straight up. One for one.
Yep........the preds and the Habs got exactly what they wanted here....Habs got a defenseman who can log tons of mins on the PK/PP etc and QB the vacant offense of the Habs........and the Preds got a guy who can jump start their lack of offense from the back end. The Preds are strong defensively so Subban`s defensive lapses would be less noticeable. Both teams win here.

The Cobra
06-30-2016, 12:57 AM
As per TSN...

If you blinked, you might have missed the craziest bleeping 23 minutes in NHL history.

Things started in Edmonton at 3:34 pm et Wednesday when Hall was traded to New Jersey in a one-for-one swap for defenceman Adam Larsson.

The move was immediately panned across the Twitterverse as a lopsided deal: A 24-year-old left winger with an 80-point season under his belt for a 23-year-old defenceman who has had a rocky start to his NHL career.
“I think you have to reserve judgment on this before you start the Twitter war,” Oilers general manager Peter Chiarelli said some 90 minutes after pulling the trigger.
In short order, the Hall trade was hockey’s third biggest news item.
Exactly 20 minutes later, at 3:54 p.m., the Montreal Canadiens dealt PK Subban to the Nashville Predators in a shocking straight-up deal for Shea Weber. That came six days after GM Marc Bergevin said it was unrealistic to think Montreal would trade its cornerstone defenceman before his no-trade clause kicked in on Friday.

“It’s not even listening to offers. I’m taking calls,” Bergevin said on June 23. “I’m not shopping Subban. I can tell you that.”

Three minutes after his departure put Rue Sainte-Catherine up in arms, Subban’s childhood teammate took himself off the market — just two days before he was scheduled to become the youngest superstar ever to hit free agency.
News broke at 3:57 pm that Stamkos re-signed with the Tampa Bay Lightning on an eight-year, $68-million deal, putting to bed a year-long saga with more twists and turns than a Game of Thrones season.

In 23 minutes, the hockey world was flipped on its axis with three seismic transaction - all in enough time for one long but exhilarating bathroom break at work.
By the end of it, it was impossible to determine which Canadian fan base was hit hardest: Edmonton, for seeing a sure thing in Hall dealt for a potential No. 2 or 3 defenceman? Montreal, for watching Subban get traded for another top blueliner who is four years older and has an equally expensive contract that is four years longer? Or Toronto, for enduring the 365-day tease that only a hometown boy like Stamkos could provide?
Stamkos, 26, became the first big fish Maple Leafs president Brendan Shanahan failed to reel in after prying both Mike Babcock out of Detroit and Lou Lamoriello out of New Jersey. Stamkos reportedly met with the Maple Leafs on Monday. He could’ve been the one piece to turn Toronto’s rebuild into a restart, the league-leader in goals since 2008 by any player not named Alex Ovechkin

Alas, Stamkos is staying in Tampa Bay — where his roots were too deep, the net financial offer too strong, and the terms just flexible enough to allow the Lightning to remain as one of the perennial powers in the Eastern Conference.
The Oilers are trying to do the same in the West. Hall offered Edmonton’s best chance to return a top-pairing defenceman, but few imagined he would net solely Larsson. After a bumpy first three seasons, Larsson has rebounded into a 22-minute per game player, but he is not a big offensive contributor (18 points in 82 games last year) and not a regular on a top-unit power play.
Chiarelli admitted Larsson is “not a sexy defenceman,” but said he has faith in his potential.
“I feel very strongly about this player,” Chiarelli said, having traded both the No. 1 (Hall) and No. 2 picks (Tyler Seguin) from the 2010 draft in his career. “I feel he’s only scratched the surface. I could see his game trending up and it was time to act on it.”

Hall said he was disappointed to leave Edmonton just as it appeared the franchise was turning the corner, with both a palatial arena opening in October and McDavid on the precipice of becoming a top player in the league.

“I was a little shocked at first,” Hall said in a conference call. “I was disappointed not to see it through in Edmonton. I feel a little slighted. It’s pretty hard not to feel slighted or be disappointed … I do take this as an indictment on me as a hockey player … It’s pretty hard to not feel slighted or be disappointed, but I’m going to do everything in my power to make New Jersey proud they made this deal.”
The Oilers were believed to be kicking the tires on both shattenkirk in St. Louis and Subban as possible solutions to balance their blueline with left and right-handed shooters. Montreal was reportedly asking for emerging centre Draisaitl in return.

Subban read through all of those trade rumours last week, saying he wasn’t all that surprised to be moved. There were reports of his unpopularity in Montreal’s dressing room, which Bergevin vehemently denied last week.
“I think that with a lot of the chatter that kind of happened over the little while, I’m a firm believer that usually where there’s smoke, there’s fire,” Subban said in a conference call with Nashville reporters. “At no point did I obviously want to leave Montreal or even was given a notion from anybody that I would be traded, but we know the way the business works. As hockey players, we don’t often believe the stuff that we see or we want to read things or hear things in the media, but when things are buzzing around that long, you have to think that there’s stuff going on.”
Subban, 27, has collected the second most points of any defenceman over the last four seasons, with 22 more than Weber in nine fewer games. Subban captured the Norris Trophy in 2013 and already checked almost all of the statistical boxes over Weber. Predators GM David Poile gushed about him Wednesday as the ultimate “modern defenceman.”
The Canadiens opted for more of a traditional blueliner, a savage body-checker with a cannon from the point and the most goals among defencemen in the last four years.
Weber, who turns 31 in August, is just about the polar opposite from Subban in every way — playing style, temperament and personality. Nashville already paid him $56 million in real dollars for the first four seasons of his staggering 14-year, $110 million deal — yet they were still willing to move on in order to land Subban.
Wednesday’s news happened so fast it was hard to wrap your mind around one transaction before the next one broke.
Weber was reportedly relaxing on his boat near Kelowna when the news broke on Wednesday afternoon. He, too, was shocked. It’s amazing the vessel didn’t capsize given the tidal wave of news in those 23 minutes.
“When I heard the news, obviously, it was a little bit surreal,” Subban said. “But it happened.”

Cobra....
Funny to see all those Toronto experts backtracking on Stammer not coming to Toronto.

sonicmario
06-30-2016, 02:07 AM
Glad to see you chime in Cobra, Im not gonna lie ive thought about stamkos in a leaf jersey, and it made me smile, but at the end of the day im kinda glad they didnt sign him with the health scares, and the money, so with that being said do you think we take a shot at say okposo, maybe matt martin because babcock says he was going to address toughness?, or perhaps we have an outside shot of say trading jvr+ for Trouba. once again looking forward to your point of view:)

TLG
06-30-2016, 03:11 AM
Depends how Stamkos's contract was written up ( trade or no trade clause)
Because now that he signed an 8 year contract and the money is in place
actually gives Tampa bargaining power to trade him to a club who wants to
commit and take advantage of his next 8 years

The Cobra
06-30-2016, 03:15 AM
Glad to see you chime in Cobra, Im not gonna lie ive thought about stamkos in a leaf jersey, and it made me smile, but at the end of the day im kinda glad they didnt sign him with the health scares, and the money, so with that being said do you think we take a shot at say okposo, maybe matt martin because babcock says he was going to address toughness?, or perhaps we have an outside shot of say trading jvr+ for Trouba. once again looking forward to your point of view:)
Thanks bud for your input as well...was looking forward to it from another Leafs guy. I`m also glad no Stammer...too many questions re health and for that kind of money when they so desperately need to toughen up esp defensively now that we have a real live goalie. They don`t need to hang Anderson out to dry with the cash they have on hand..let`s hope they spend it on defense. I like Trouba but I also like JVR`s toughness down low because Nylander, Marner etc aren`t going to be productive in there and Matthews will take a while. I`d love to see Matt in a Leafs sweater but that`s more on a personal level than anything else....however he may take some of the heat and clear the way for our young guns. On the same note I wouldn`t want him in the box with our present defense........I can`t believe they extended an offer to Mitch Marincin the giveaway king....and that`s saying a lot with Gardiner around LOL.

On a side note...I won`t miss Sub-bun`s first visit back to the Bell Centre, it will be funny.

The Cobra
06-30-2016, 03:19 AM
Depends how Stamkos's contract was written up ( trade or no trade clause)
Because now that he signed an 8 year contract and the money is in place
actually gives Tampa bargaining power to trade him to a club who wants to
commit and take advantage of his next 8 years
Yes sir we`ve mentioned it before that a signed player is actually easier to trade than an unsigned one....many fans overlook that point.

sonicmario
06-30-2016, 03:49 AM
yea marincin, everytime he was on the ice I cringed like honestly, his Corsi stats actually look good, but im not into the analytics stuff by no means I just remember seeing him on the ice and coughing the puck up, I'd like to hold on to jvr as well, we got him for a steal out of philly, and when healthy he is a beast down low, also was very shocked to see Subban traded, like didnt Marc say at the draft he wasnt going to be moved, but its hockey and anything can happen, I like Webber I dont like his contract, but he is going to be a good add for mtl on the penalty kill, and the man eats minutes like ive never seen!

Mr Hanky
06-30-2016, 11:46 AM
Bergevin's back....Great trade for the habs....still short on offense. Go Marc Go.

The Noof
06-30-2016, 12:08 PM
So long P.K. Sewerban...welcome aboard Shea.

The Cobra
06-30-2016, 05:53 PM
So long P.K. Sewerban...welcome aboard Shea.
IMHO Shea Weber is the best all round defenseman in the game bar none....why do people think he is the #1 defenseman on every Olympic team etc etc. Carey Price`s numbers just went up accordingly..On the other hand Nashville has just fallen short annually because of a lack of offense....Subban will give them a decent jump. Pekka Renne is reportedly having migrains tho.

The Cobra
06-30-2016, 06:01 PM
yea marincin, everytime he was on the ice I cringed like honestly, his Corsi stats actually look good, but im not into the analytics stuff by no means I just remember seeing him on the ice and coughing the puck up, I'd like to hold on to jvr as well, we got him for a steal out of philly, and when healthy he is a beast down low, also was very shocked to see Subban traded, like didnt Marc say at the draft he wasnt going to be moved, but its hockey and anything can happen, I like Webber I dont like his contract, but he is going to be a good add for mtl on the penalty kill, and the man eats minutes like ive never seen!
I`d be real surprised to see anyone believing Bergevin saying anything...esp after getting caught in bed with Bettman on John Scott. Weber brings everything to the table for the Habs that Subban can`t....respect from his fellow players and the ability to teach by example. He did just that for the Preds and look how formidable their defense is now that they can afford a risk taker to jump start an offense. Don`t be surprised if Subban has a good year offensively.
Goes to show you my friend that stats are merely a tool for reporters ......Marincin is awful in our zone and all we need is our eyes to see it. Stats like Corsi etc etc are the pet rock of the times, but it gives dweebs a job that was once held by hockey minds.

The Noof
06-30-2016, 06:33 PM
IMHO Shea Weber is the best all round defenseman in the game bar none....why do people think he is the #1 defenseman on every Olympic team etc etc. Carey Price`s numbers just went up accordingly..On the other hand Nashville has just fallen short annually because of a lack of offense....Subban will give them a decent jump. Pekka Renne is reportedly having migrains tho.

Shea won't have the support cast in Montreal he's accustomed to though.

The Cobra
06-30-2016, 06:50 PM
Shea won't have the support cast in Montreal he's accustomed to though.
No question about it....but part of Weber`s attraction is the fact he`ll be able to teach young Hab defensemen while he`s performing, my guess is that`s a big reason for Montreal`s interest in investing so heavily.

The Cobra
06-30-2016, 10:33 PM
Bergevin's back....Great trade for the habs....still short on offense. Go Marc Go.
Should be noted that Bergevin made this move just 2 days before Subban`s no trade clause went into effect.....so depending on your point of view he`s either smart or a weasel. With the Scott case in his history I`ll go with weasel.

Mr Hanky
06-30-2016, 11:51 PM
You keep bringing up All-star Scott as a bad move , I could name a 100 Leaf moves over 20 years. LMAO. Marc will do something else .

Costactc
07-01-2016, 01:02 AM
The whole world seems to have fallen out with this move, WTF. Weber is a more responsible d man, more grit, awesome slapshot, more pp goals then any other d man this year, team leader and always an offensive threat. Can't wait to see what Bergevin does tomorrow.

ifonlyihad1
07-01-2016, 01:13 AM
Personally, I found it was the media that made PK the star it thought he was. As a fan of the Habs since 1965 (6 years old at that time), I have lived through many a great D-man in (CH) colors..and no way in hell was he ever considered as being one of those elite ones from me.. I have wanted Montreal to get rid of him for a few years now, and I can not express my relieve enough, that he is now gone. Congrats Habs on a job well done with this trade.

Again, it's just a personal opinion. :):):)

Costactc
07-01-2016, 01:32 AM
I agree. Overrated and all the hoopla. We got one of the league's premier d men, team will look better and play better going forward.

The Cobra
07-01-2016, 02:30 AM
You keep bringing up All-star Scott as a bad move , I could name a 100 Leaf moves over 20 years. LMAO. Marc will do something else .
Add a zero that 100 if the span is 20 yrs.........I could name 100 over the last 5 yrs LOL

The Cobra
07-01-2016, 02:32 AM
I agree. Overrated and all the hoopla. We got one of the league's premier d men, team will look better and play better going forward.
You got the best around IMO.......as much as it pains me to say....the Habs got a whole lot better on the ice, at practice and in the dressing room instantly.

Mr Hanky
07-01-2016, 12:05 PM
You got the best around IMO.......as much as it pains me to say....the Habs got a whole lot better on the ice, at practice and in the dressing room instantly. And they got bigger. I wouldn't be surprised if Nashville doesn't make the playoffs as a result of this trade . Not much in free agency left 15 - 20 goal men for 5-7 million. Must be someone with cap problems willing to dump a goal scorer.

The Cobra
07-01-2016, 08:43 PM
On a bright spot the Leafs signed Matt Martin to 4 yrs @ $10 mil.........I`m a happy boy. Welcome Matty.

sonicmario
07-01-2016, 10:00 PM
On a bright spot the Leafs signed Matt Martin to 4 yrs @ $10 mil.........I`m a happy boy. Welcome Matty.

Haha I knew you would be pumped for this, he is an awesome 4th line pick up, imagine him and Komorov playing together, there would be smiles on leaf fans everywhere!

The Cobra
07-02-2016, 02:12 AM
Haha I knew you would be pumped for this, he is an awesome 4th line pick up, imagine him and Komorov playing together, there would be smiles on leaf fans everywhere!
Yup....this signing hits very close to home and we`re all thrilled as can be. On the professional side of it Matt will be a good dererent for anyone trying to take advantage of our rookies in experience in the NHL.
The Leafs had better get to work on that defense tho.......

sonicmario
07-02-2016, 02:58 AM
Yup....this signing hits very close to home and we`re all thrilled as can be. On the professional side of it Matt will be a good dererent for anyone trying to take advantage of our rookies in experience in the NHL.
The Leafs had better get to work on that defense tho.......
Yea I read that they are kicking the tires on Kris Russel, good shoot blocker, another heart and soul kinda guy, Demers is there, james wisniewski maybe... and of course the crown jewel is Trouba but not sure the leafs have the assets or are willing to even come close to getting a deal done there..... but overall im happy that we didnt get sucked in to over paying free agents, looks like sweet lou was really cheap today which is good, im really happy that Nonis is not any where close to this team anymore lol

The Cobra
07-02-2016, 12:03 PM
Yea I read that they are kicking the tires on Kris Russel, good shoot blocker, another heart and soul kinda guy, Demers is there, james wisniewski maybe... and of course the crown jewel is Trouba but not sure the leafs have the assets or are willing to even come close to getting a deal done there..... but overall im happy that we didnt get sucked in to over paying free agents, looks like sweet lou was really cheap today which is good, im really happy that Nonis is not any where close to this team anymore lol
Yup....the Leafs stayed true to the rebuild idea and stayed away from expensive FAs and I too am happy about that....you had to mention "Nonis" didn`t you? there goes my breakfast LOL.

Mr Hanky
07-02-2016, 12:59 PM
Still some of Burkes players in T.O.

The Cobra
07-02-2016, 05:52 PM
Still some of Burkes players in T.O.
That takes care of lunch too......................thanx guys.

The Noof
07-02-2016, 06:09 PM
I hope you dudes realize that the ghost of Maurice Richard is gonna get ya for turning a Habs thread into a Leafs thread...rotflmao.

Mr Hanky
07-02-2016, 10:11 PM
Hold on Noof thought it was a losers thread .lol

ifonlyihad1
07-02-2016, 10:59 PM

Oohhhhh, now you gone and done it!!!!! lol

Let slip the dogs of war!!! :):):)

The Cobra
07-02-2016, 11:28 PM
Yup..............and you seem to be posting quite often in this thread. Kinda speaks for itself doesn`t it. LMAO