PDA

View Full Version : Leafs Get New Motto

The Cobra
02-14-2017, 05:25 PM
TSN

TORONTO – Since the NHL’s all-star break, winning hasn't come easily for the Maple Leafs.

Toronto has posted a 2-3-2 record to start the condensed second half of their schedule, which boasts 35 games in 69 days. When the team convened for a rare full practice Monday at MasterCard Centre, a slogan that had adorned the walls all season - "Heart and Drive Lives Here" - was gone.
Now scrawled in thin blue letters above each wall of player stalls is the phrase “Play Fast. Play Right.”
“I came up with what we had on the wall this summer,” Babcock said. “I’m always waiting each year for us to come up with a way of playing that’s going to be something you can hang your hat on. I think when we play right we can play real fast. I think when we don’t play right we look like snails out there.”
The timing of the alteration is interesting to be sure, and it may have gone undetected even a few weeks ago. Toronto is currently at the centre of an air-tight Eastern Conference playoff race, while looking dangerously close to falling into a full-blown slump. The team hasn't posted back-to-back wins since late January.
“It’s like anything – we’re all in this together,” Babcock said. “When we play well, all get the credit. When we play poorly, we all get the blame. Sometimes when things are going good, you think you’re better than you are. Sometimes when things are going bad, you think you’re worse than you are. It’s probably somewhere in between.”

Cobra....
Well start the parade..................the Leafs can get motto after motto, headline after headline, contraversey after contraversey, spend $ after $, chase goalie after goalie.........but won`t get anywhere until they go out and get a defense. The Leafs need a #1 and probably a #2 or #3 pairing defenseman that can actually check, see the ice and go into a corner and come out with the puck.
Their motto until that day occurs should be.........yes, we have no defense.

sonicmario
02-14-2017, 06:02 PM
yup now that the second half of the season is underway the pressure gets turned up teams are working hard, and the leafs are hemmed in there own zone, with no chance of winning any puck battles, we def need defense Cobra, I think they need to start drafting D in the first and second round, but I dont see any really stop gaps that are not gonna cost the leafs any of there talented forwards. they are having a really tough time making that break out pass too, I think Reilly has lost a step, I know he has a high ankle sprain, but even before the injury he has had some issues defending, and dont get me started on cough up the puck Gardiner lmao, interesting times ahead thats for sure

The Noof
02-14-2017, 06:05 PM
Yes...we have no bananas.lol.

The Cobra
02-14-2017, 07:07 PM
yup now that the second half of the season is underway the pressure gets turned up teams are working hard, and the leafs are hemmed in there own zone, with no chance of winning any puck battles, we def need defense Cobra, I think they need to start drafting D in the first and second round, but I dont see any really stop gaps that are not gonna cost the leafs any of there talented forwards. they are having a really tough time making that break out pass too, I think Reilly has lost a step, I know he has a high ankle sprain, but even before the injury he has had some issues defending, and dont get me started on cough up the puck Gardiner lmao, interesting times ahead thats for sure

Absolutely correct my friend........as they only have a couple untouchable assets there is nothing via a trade coming our way. Shanaplan was to build thru the draft etc and a youth movement. Getting a Shattenkirk or any #1 pairing would be far too expensive for a rebuilding team. Babcock said "there will be pain"....too many fans of the Leafs are being misguided by a neverending pile of Toronto sports writers into believing the Leafs are a viable force. Fans have to remember the fact that just because a Toronto writer says Rielly and Kadri are stars it doesn`t mean they are. At the very least the Leafs are solidifying their future in the right way.....building it not buying it.......hopefully they stay the course.

TLG
02-14-2017, 08:33 PM
and a goalie wouldn't hurt either

The Cobra
02-14-2017, 08:55 PM
and a goalie wouldn't hurt either
I`ll cut any goalie some slack playing behind that Toronto defense......you`d never know how good/bad they were and they certainly would never have a chance of development.

The Noof
02-14-2017, 09:01 PM
I`ll cut any goalie some slack playing behind that Toronto defense......you`d never know how good/bad they were and they certainly would never have a chance of development.

Anyone who watches hockey knows the blue line has been soft in T.O for many years now...but a goalie that can steal a few for you is a must too.

The Cobra
02-14-2017, 10:00 PM
Anyone who watches hockey knows the blue line has been soft in T.O for many years now...but a goalie that can steal a few for you is a must too.
The thing is we don`t know if Andersen can or can not steal many games as he must if the Leafs are to make the playoffs. Even behind this mess of a blueline he`s 22-12-10 with a GAA 2.79 and a SV% .914. Keeping in mind those numbers are in line with those of Carey Price....now dump Weber, Markov and even Petry in front of Andersen and his numbers would jump dramatically one would think. Andersen is a rookie as a starter behind a bad defense so I won`t judge him yet....but so far I like what I see.

The Cobra
02-14-2017, 10:01 PM
Trouble in the asylum I see..............this should be pretty entertaining to those of us that hate the Habs.

sonicmario
02-14-2017, 10:26 PM

LOL I think its been Decades since we had a good defense, maybe Salming was the last of the great d-men in Toronto, that is really sad lol, I think Anderson has had a good year, cause he was a 1b in Anaheim and not used of playing so many games, we will see down the stretch:)

The Cobra
02-14-2017, 10:34 PM
LOL I think its been Decades since we had a good defense, maybe Salming was the last of the great d-men in Toronto, that is really sad lol, I think Anderson has had a good year, cause he was a 1b in Anaheim and not used of playing so many games, we will see down the stretch:)
We`ll see a lot tonite.............big game for him and the Leafs......do it against the Isles Sat as well I think.

Mr Hanky
02-15-2017, 02:32 PM
Trouble in the asylum I see..............this should be pretty entertaining to those of us that hate the Habs. You can add another to the series streak a week Saturday ...14 in a row. lol

The Cobra
02-15-2017, 02:46 PM
Well at 7-1 you won`t really say that Andersen "stole" one but if you watched the game the Isles were stoned cold by Andersen for 2 periods on great scoring chances before the Leafs opened it up in the third.