PDA

View Full Version : replacement headlight bulbs

ron3033
04-16-2010, 01:42 PM
Hello

I have a 95 Chev Tahoe, yes old but in great shape. I found that the headlights seem dim in dark and rainy weather. A friend said to me that over time the light bulb looses it brightness as it ages, just as My sight is less accurate as I age....he he he.
The lenses have not yellowed and I believe that these may be the original lights in the vehicle, as I don't recll changing them.
I have read that the Silverstar Ultra's burn out too soon and that GE Nighthawk Sport bulbs last longer. But I have been since told to get Piaa Intense White Or Piaa Exteme White ( I believe a bluish tint here).

I know LMC truck has a kit to run legally bright lights but you have to add a new wiring harness to not fry the lihgt switch. Problem it does not work with daytime running lights. (high beam light is on at a lower voltage to achieve daytime runnig lights)

I want to see better at night and could use any suggestions and past use of these type of products.

Thanks
Ron3033 :thumbsup:

StanW
04-16-2010, 02:31 PM
All headlights loose their effectiveness in wet condition . The new high voltage light bulbs might help a bit - as you indicated they do run hot..

Installing fog lamps would be my choice...

OddJob
04-17-2010, 02:41 AM
All headlights loose their effectiveness in wet condition . The new high voltage light bulbs might help a bit - as you indicated they do run hot..

Installing fog lamps would be my choice...

I agree, some sort of after market lighting should do the trick . :okay:

gman
04-18-2010, 07:36 AM
i run silver star ultra for a few years now with no burn outs and they are great

NOKIA™
04-18-2010, 11:49 AM
the Sylvania Silverstar ULTRA is a good alternative...

http://www.sylvania.com/ConsumerProducts/AutomotiveLighting/LampReplacementGuide

lifespan of these bulbs are close to a year...

but they do provide nice illumination

the HID kit is another ...but they run hot ....

UNVMYWJ
04-18-2010, 01:46 PM
I had the same issue with my 3/4 ton and went with aftermarket lights. I found they were good in the city or where other sources of light are but I live out in the country and found they did not broadcast as well. The wildlife snuck out of the ditch a couple times whereas my old lights did a better job. Brighter aftermarket lights I found to be more of a strait beam due to there being no proper light deflection on the back of the housing. I got fed up and went to a body shop and asked what they use to replace factory and just replaced with the origonal style and found it to be 100 times better. My HID kit got tossed and wont go back.

JMO

ron3033
04-18-2010, 04:29 PM
the Sylvania Silverstar ULTRA is a good alternative...

http://www.sylvania.com/ConsumerProducts/AutomotiveLighting/LampReplacementGuide

lifespan of these bulbs are close to a year...

but they do provide nice illumination

the HID kit is another ...but they run hot ....

Thanks Nokia.......... the HID kits need a new wire harness and I have daytime rinning lights (the high beam light runs at a lower voltage to provide daytime lights), LMC trucks has the kit but not for daytime running lights, USA applications only.

ron3033
04-18-2010, 04:31 PM
I had the same issue with my 3/4 ton and went with aftermarket lights. I found they were good in the city or where other sources of light are but I live out in the country and found they did not broadcast as well. The wildlife snuck out of the ditch a couple times whereas my old lights did a better job. Brighter aftermarket lights I found to be more of a strait beam due to there being no proper light deflection on the back of the housing. I got fed up and went to a body shop and asked what they use to replace factory and just replaced with the origonal style and found it to be 100 times better. My HID kit got tossed and wont go back.

JMO

Thanks for the goos info UNV. HID are pretty pricey