PDA

View Full Version : Tankless hot water heater (electric)

profit
04-22-2010, 08:57 PM
Has anyone used or are using a tankless hot water heater (Electric)
If so, could you please let me know how you liked it!

I am in the process of buying one but would like to know more from people
whom use or used one.I live in southern Ontario Canada. I understand that has something to do with the cold water I am looking to buy one that can do the whole house.

JCO
04-22-2010, 09:22 PM
I have heard of Gas fired tankless heaters but not electric ones.. You need a powerfull heating element ( Maybe 25 to 30 KW) to supply instant hot water. They will cost you a fortune if available .. I would go with a well insulated traditional tank heater unless space is a problem.. Or a gas tankless one if you have Natural gas available in the house..

Night Prowler
04-22-2010, 09:28 PM
the electric ones run on 240v as far as I can see.....google for it and most manufactures have the specs for them.....

easily confused
04-22-2010, 09:44 PM

whom use or used one.I live in southern Ontario Canada. I understand that has something to do with the cold water I am looking to buy one that can do the whole house.

Just out of curiosity, Profit, why do you want to go electric particularly with the latest price hike and another 8% coming on July 1st. I am also going to a tankless water heater and with no access to natural gas, I am going with propane. I looked at 2 models, a Rheem which was $1149 and 200,000 BTU and a Bosch which was $1282 and 175,000 BTU. Both are designed to deliver around 7 gpm of hot water and will supply two demands at once such as shower and washer etc. With the electric, the ones I saw were all 4500 watt heaters and could only supply just over 3 gpm so a shower or a washer etc but not both. Electricity will only continue to rise and a news clip on Tv the other day blames it on the cost of buying power from alternative energy sources. Guess that's what you get when you offer 80.2 cents per kwh.

JCO
04-22-2010, 09:54 PM
Go with the Bosch.. Its a much better unit..

n3uspeed2
04-22-2010, 11:12 PM

We replaced our water tank with a AquaStar 2700ES is made by bosche costed us about 1100$ dollars. It heats the water for our whole house It uses Electronic ignition instead of a stand pilot.. It's nice to have but I don't see much of a energy savings my gas bill is a little cheaper then before but not that much but my electric bill went up about 10$ What do like is when we remodeled our home it saved some space...makes your house look little more modern. I really don't see a difference...technology changes...does the same thing your traditional water heater would do. This model comes with a 12 year warranty. Depending on the size of your home you may just need a smaller one.

Night Prowler
04-22-2010, 11:31 PM
sounds like you should stopwatch your showers then....:tehe:

JCO
04-22-2010, 11:39 PM
And make shure no one turns on a hot water tap while your in the shower with the electic tankless heater..

n3uspeed2
04-22-2010, 11:40 PM
sounds like you should stopwatch your showers then....:tehe:

hehe always can count on you guys for a smart answer hehe

Night Prowler
04-22-2010, 11:44 PM
hehe always can count on you guys for a smart answer hehe

Life would be boring then.........:tehe:

and we'd be just like other boring sites......:D

n3uspeed2
04-22-2010, 11:48 PM
Life would be boring then.........:tehe:

and we'd be just like other boring sites......:D

hehehe your my reason for anger management hehehe

profit
04-23-2010, 12:32 AM
I would like to thank all of you, it has made me think. I dont think I will
go for the Electric one, will check the LPG one. Thanks easily confused
and everyone. I really appreciate all this help. thanks again.

n3uspeed2
04-23-2010, 12:37 AM
I would like to thank all of you, it has made me think. I dont think I will
go for the Electric one, will check the LPG one. Thanks easily confused
and everyone. I really appreciate all this help. thanks again.

Good luck with that man...

alexdfla
04-23-2010, 04:59 AM
i have a titan tankless electric on demand water heater .its made in us by
niagara industries in miami fla. and since i have it i noticed my electric bill
got lower .since only heat the water when you open the valve .it saves
money i paid 400 installed .

JCO
04-23-2010, 11:57 AM
Tankless electric heaters are OK in southern climates, the cold water feed is at 17 C or the low 60's F.. Its a different story in northern climates where the feed is at 4C or 36F in winter. Thats a lot more heat gain required in the winter months.. If you people want I can post the formula to calculate the required input in KW to heat a required number of gallons per minute.. You will see that 4.5 kw is not enough in northern climates.. Also New electric tank hot water heaters are better insulated than they where 10 years ago..

easily confused
04-23-2010, 01:09 PM
Tankless electric heaters are OK in southern climates, the cold water feed is at 17 C or the low 60's F.. Its a different story in northern climates where the feed is at 4C or 36F in winter. Thats a lot more heat gain required in the winter months.. If you people want I can post the formula to calculate the required input in KW to heat a required number of gallons per minute.. You will see that 4.5 kw is not enough in northern climates.. Also New electric tank hot water heaters are better insulated than they where 10 years ago..

Thanks JCO. I agree that electric might be OK for southern climates but not in cooler areas. We currently have a 60 gallon electric tank with 2 X 4500 watt elements. The recovery rate is 19 gallons per hour so it takes over three hours just to heat the whole 60 gallons. That is over 4.5 Kw. At 7 gallons per minute with the LPG heater I can heat the same amount of water in just under 9 minutes. This sure sounds a whole lot better and no matter how much I use, there will be hot water, unlike a electric tank that can run out if there are a couple of baths, some showers and a dishwasher. That sounds like a lot of hot water but when the 4 kids were still at home, that would happen. Not so with a tankless LPG or NG heater

profit
04-23-2010, 01:29 PM
Yes I agree with you. I was looking at a Eemax Series four (Four heating modules) I have a 200 amp service now, but I suspect need to change the wiring. the seller can promise anything but when it is installed and dont get enough hot
water, then I wasted $1500.00 dollars not including the installation.

JCO
04-23-2010, 03:18 PM
That electric heater is rated at 38 KW.. It will require a new breaker and wiring ..
Heres a interesting link with some basic information..
hxxp://www.tanklesswaterheaterguide.com/

aquadave
04-24-2011, 04:20 PM
I don't like the elec or gas tankless they are not as efficient as claimed and you never recover the cost for the savings. With the elec models you need to run a 60a circuit.
Now a little trick for standard elec heaters run another 30a circuit 2 in total connect 1 circuit to top thermostat and 1 to the bottom. this converts a standard to commercial you will not run out and with a timer you're just as efficient
If you're dead set on tankless get a rapac boiler. for the same price as the little one you get a commercial unit that will handle the whole house

satchick
04-24-2011, 06:07 PM
Here's another vote against electric tankless... The unit itself is more expensive than gas or propane, and if you need an electrical service upgrade to handle the increased load the cost will be even higher. Before buying one, have a licensed and competent electrician do a demand load calculation to see if your service can even handle it without an (expensive) upgrade. You would need a 200 amp service minimum, but if you're all electric that might not be enough.

New tank water heaters aren't too bad, gas and propane units have become much more efficient and use hot surface ignition instead of a pilot flame, which saves fuel. The insulation is also much better in the new tanks. Electrics can also be fitted with a timer, but you don't want to let it get cold either, as it'll require more energy to reheat the water and will also cause bacteria growth.

MeSat_FTA
04-24-2011, 11:08 PM

I double this comment. If you look carefully, you will find the necessary formula to calculate your water usage and the temperature rise required.

When we got our new hot water tank we looked at tankless heaters. I found the formula, measured our water flow during a shower and the temperature that we like. Measured the cold water coming out of the bath tap at it's coldest and found out that any heater that was sold locally wouldn't even come close to what we needed.

A few people that had put them in had to put in hot water tanks to do a pre-heat to get the water to the 15-20 degree range. Then the demand heater worked.

Remember, the temperature rise and demand are the key points to what size heater you need. You need to know the temperature of the cold water while it is running out of the tap, not in a bowl or cup.

aquadave
07-01-2011, 01:44 AM
Though I don't like them the best thing about them is when they break they don't make a mess and are easier to replace