PDA

View Full Version : Cowboys Trade up for Bryant

msav
04-23-2010, 10:31 AM
From DallasCowboys.com

IRVING, Texas - Around pick No. 20, the "twitching" began inside the Dallas Cowboys' war room.
Movements got more animated. Conversation picked up. So did the phones.
The Cowboys' brass knew a Top-10 receiver was within "striking distance," as team owner/general manager Jerry Jones put it.
They didn't let Dez Bryant get away.
The team traded up three picks in Thursday's first round of the NFL Draft - from No. 27 to No. 24 - to grab the gifted yet embattled Oklahoma State wideout who watched his stock drop steadily over the last six months.
The NCAA declared Bryant ineligible for all but three games of his junior season for withholding information about a meeting with ex-NFL star Deion Sanders. Then questions surfaced about his background, punctuality and attitude.
The Lufkin, Texas, native has been through a lot. The call from Jerry Jones just after 9 p.m. (CT) made all that frustration disappear.
"When I fell to the Cowboys, that's the best thing that ever happened to me," he said. "I'm so happy I got picked and it doesn't matter where I got picked. I'm excited and I'm ready to go to work."
The Cowboys did their homework on Bryant. Discovered that he was "a good person; conscientious," according to Jerry Jones. That he doesn't have a criminal background. That he's a 21-year-old man with room to mature, but also with a world of talent and a strong work ethic.
On the field, they believe Bryant can immediately improve their offense, even in a veteran receiving corps that currently includes first-time Pro Bowl selection Miles Austin, incumbent starter Roy Williams and Patrick Crayton. Jones emphasized that Williams' job is safe despite his decline in production last season.
In 28 games over his three-year college career, Bryant had 147 catches for 2,425 yards (16.5 avg.) and 29 touchdowns. The Cowboys also valued him as arguably the strongest kick returner in the draft - Josh Cribbs-like ability, according to special teams coordinator Joe DeCamillis.
"We have a great incentive and a huge reason to really make this work," Jones said. "And I think that what this can bring to our offense is worth whatever maintenance we have here, if you want to describe it that way.
"The other thing is, and I believe in this philosophy, that he should look at tonight as history and the past. And beginning in the morning when he gets here he should absolutely say, 'This is a new life for me; this is a new slate.'"
For Bryant it begins Friday, when he's expected to make the short trip to Valley Ranch. The Cowboys, meanwhile, are just getting started this weekend. Day 2 of 3 (Rounds 2-3) is scheduled to begin Friday night.
In addition to swapping first-round picks (27 for 24), the Cowboys traded their third-round pick (90th overall) for the Patriots' fourth-round pick (119th overall). The Cowboys' current remaining draft picks are No. 59 (second round), No. 119 (fourth round), No. 125 (fourth round), No. 196 (sixth round) and No. 234 (seventh round).
Jones said there's good value in the second round and indicated their two fourth-round picks are strong enough to possibly recoup a higher pick via trade. Had the deal for Bryant fallen through, he said there were "at least four players" they could've sat and chosen at No. 27 rather than trade down into the second round.
Targets remain arguably the team's two biggest positional needs entering the week: safety and offensive line, given the recent departures of Flozell Adams and Ken Hamlin.
In addition to Bryant, Jones said the team would've considered trading up for two more "exceptional" prospects: Texas safety Earl Thomas and Idaho offensive lineman Mike Iupati. Thomas went 14th to Seattle and Iupati 17th to San Francisco. To reach either, both would've required a second-round pick.
Bryant didn't. Still, Jones felt fortunate he fell past 20.
"When you say 'a player you wanted all along,' I really don't want to be there as much as I would tell you it was pretty ambitious to think that for the price we paid at the 27th pick we could end up with Dez Bryant," Jones said.
Jones admitted receiver wasn't a pressing need. The team felt Bryant presented tremendous value and could contribute as a returner while he gets comfortable with the offense.
Phillips said he'll find ways to get all of his top receivers involved.
"We'll see how that plays out," he said. "You can play four wide receivers. You don't have to play three and that's my job, that's what I have to do, to get the ball to the best players. And that's what we're going to try to do.
"We thought this guy could make a difference. He's a playmaker."
As for Bryant, who has been cast in mostly a harsh light for months, he just wants to fit into what could be a bright situation in his home state. "I really don't know (about roles) because I haven't played yet," he said. "But I know that I'm going to give them my all. I'm going to go out there and give it everything I've got. And hopefully I'll come out successful."