PDA

View Full Version : The quiz: Should luongo be the canucks' captain?

sleddy2008
04-23-2010, 04:53 PM
C/P from Tsn.ca

Each week, the NHL on TSN panel voices their opinions on the hot topics of the day in the NHL on TSN Quiz.

As a follow-up, TSN.ca offers you the opportunity to chime in on all the big issues with our insiders. Read up on all the questions and answers from TSN's hockey experts, and put in your own two cents on our popular Your Call feature.

Question no. 1: Should Luongo be the Canucks captain or should it be Ryan Kessler, Willie Mitchell, or Henrik Sedin?

Darren Pang: Henrik Sedin. That would be my captain and that would balance out the Sedins because he only has an A and Daniel has nothing, so one would have a C and one would have an A. He's a quiet leader, he has a long term contract and he leads by example on the ice.

Craig MacTavish: The obvious choice would be Henrik Sedin, but I'm taking Willie Mitchell. I like a guy who can lead his team emotionally and physically as well and Mitchell can do that.

Bob MacKenzie: I'll go with Henrik Sedin as well. I think he has a shot at being the MVP this year and I think he leads by example. He'll probably say less in the dressing room than Roberto Luongo, who probably doesn't say much, but it's about leading on the ice and Sedin does that night after night.

Question no. 2: Besides the upsets, what's the most stunning development of the post season so far - Too many men on the ice penalties (16 heading into Thursday night), six power play goals in a row scored by L.A., six power play goals scored in a row against Vancouver, or Henrik Sedin actually shooting instead of passing on a 2-on-1?

Bob McKenzie: It has to be the too many men on the ice penalties for everybody except the Ottawa Senators. They led the regular season in too many men, they lead the playoffs in too many men. But 16 times in the playoffs we've had too many men including the terrible Drew Stafford that led to the double overtime goal by the Boston Bruins, so it has to be too many men.

Darren Pang: I'm going to go with the Los Angeles Kings six power play goals. If you take a power play that converts at 25 percent, it would be 4,096 to 1 for a team to score six straight power play goals. They bought into it and obviously they're led by a great coach too.

Craig MacTavish: Too many men, it's an absolute epidemic and it really underscores the price that's paid at times in the playoffs for those hard matchups.

Question no. 3: Tuukka Rask or Jimmy Howard, who more richly deserves a place among the Calder finalists?

Darren Pang: Jimmy Howard. He played more games, he was in the net with more on his shoulders and he led the Detroit Red Wings from tenth to fifth. There's a lot more pressure to be a goaltender at Joe Louis Arena in Detroit.

Craig MacTavish: Tuukka Rask. Look what this kid has had to overcome to get where he's at. He had to unseat the Vezina Trophy winner, and he went on to lead the league in goals against average and save percentage.

Bob McKenzie: I'll say Jimmy Howard. 17-0-2 down the stretch to get the Detroit Red Wings into the playoffs. He played in 60 plus games, all him.

Question no. 4: Snow-vechkin, Alexander Ovechkin before the Canadiens and Capitals game sprays a young flag bearer for the Montreal Canadiens. Was it fun or foolish?

Bob McKenzie: It was fun. He's the biggest kid on the ice at any given time. He goes after the littlest kid. He always skates to the bench with a flourish, stops hard, the flag was in his way, not a big deal.

Darren Pang: He didn't mean it, it wasn't mean spirited, but I think it wa s foolish cause he should have just given him a stick or something, a pat on the head.

Craig MacTavish: Fun-ish, the hybrid between fun and foolish because it was really neither.

gusman
04-23-2010, 05:30 PM
IMO, goalie should not be a captain...
A captain should be the player that can talk to official all the time, not the assistant captain..

Newf
04-23-2010, 05:53 PM
I have to agree with Gus, just something not right about a goalie being captain

gusman
04-23-2010, 06:05 PM
I have to agree with Gus, just something not right about a goalie being captain

I never seen Luongo dealing with the officials. If there were an issue, any assistant captain on the ice are in front of the officials, not Luongo...

sleddy2008
04-23-2010, 06:06 PM
Willie Mitchell would be my pick.

gusman
04-23-2010, 06:09 PM
Willie Mitchell would be my pick.

Being him a veteran player, I agree!!!

sleddy2008
04-23-2010, 06:15 PM
Hank is too quiet,and Captain needs to have more emotion too.