PDA

View Full Version : Linear LNB on an RV dish?

crashemhard
06-22-2010, 04:01 AM
Does anyone have any experience with switching the normally circular LNB supplied with a semi-auto RV dish (Kingdome) with an linear one? Since it now appears that without a sub not much is available with a circular LNB I thought I might try a linear one in my RV dish so I could get AMC 21. On the first try, I did not get any signal. Maybe that dish is just too small? Any advise is appreciated.

Terryl
06-22-2010, 04:20 AM
Your right, the dish is too small.

You will need at least a 33" dish (or larger) for most of the linear birds, however there may be hope as SES-1 (101W) is a higher powerd bird then normal on low band "Ku" but its just being activated and there is not much on it right now, the only active TP I can find on it is 12120V with an FEC of 30000 and a S/R of 3/4.

You can try for that one to see if it works out.

Bowhunters
06-22-2010, 04:25 AM
I think most of the FTA free sats you may need a fairly large dish, larger than for Dishnet.

If you go to ( .satbeams.com) and click the 'footprint' page and once it loads find AMC21 at 125 deg W

Then move in to your state and location or where you will camp with your RV and then click and hold on your location and then double click and it will put an icon there and show you the minimum sized dish you need for that satellite for your location.

For me here in Kansas it says I need a minimum 25" dish for AMC 21.

crashemhard
06-22-2010, 05:39 AM
Thanks! Says 29.5" for AMC 21. Looks like its back to ION while camping!

WillDekkard
06-23-2010, 07:00 AM
Thanks! Says 29.5" for AMC 21. Looks like its back to ION while camping!

Unless you are getting ION with a terrestrial antenna then ION is NOT available with a small dish and circular polarity LNB. NASA, ION, and AngelOne were all encrypted on echostar7, but then, echostar7 is no longer at 119.0W as it was replaced with echostar14 and those ION channels are still encrypted.