PDA

View Full Version : Tiger eyes title at AT&T National.

KIDWCKED
06-30-2010, 12:53 AM
c/p from Kevin Maguire espn.
NEWTOWN SQUARE, Pa. -- It's the question everyone wants an answer to: When will Tiger Woods win?

The world's No. 1-ranked golfer has claimed victory 71 times during his PGA Tour career, including 14 triumphs at major championships.

In suburban Philadelphia for this week's AT&T National, Woods said he feels his game is coming around, especially after a stretch of golf where he shot a back-nine 30 during the third round of the U.S. Open nearly two weeks ago.

"I think it was nice to have that happen, but I think it was even more important to have it happen in a major championship, especially when I needed it," Woods said Tuesday of his Round 3 theatrics at Pebble Beach. "To get back into the event, I needed to make a run, and I was able to make that run and give myself a really good chance to win the championship. All I had to do is shoot under par on the final day and I would have won the tournament. That was a nice feeling to have and something I hadn't had this year yet."

No one should discount Woods' chances this week at Aronimink Golf Club, which has hosted major championships in the past. Woods is the defending champion of the event, but that's a misnomer since the 2009 edition was held at Congressional Country Club outside of Washington, D.C. The tournament will return to the nation's capital in 2012 after a two-year hiatus as Congressional undergoes renovations before hosting the 2011 U.S. Open.

The course set up at Aronimink includes long rough and fast greens, which should play right into Tiger's hands. Just like Pebble Beach, anyone who has to putt from above the hole on the Donald Ross-designed layout will have a tough time making birdies.

So can Woods come away with that elusive W despite being 0-for-5 in the victory column in his return from his self-imposed exile? Granted, his pair of T-4s at the Masters and U.S. Open was solid, but Woods is held to a different level.