PDA

View Full Version : Super fight elimination in every division - great for boxing

aquariusone
07-21-2010, 04:43 PM
From Aqua's own desk - July 21, 2010 9:50am

When Mayweather declared that he is not boxing in 2010 against anyone, including in a “dream match” against Manny Pacquiao, many were disappointed. The HBO sports casters were extremely and vocally critical of the former.

The latest focus is now on Arum charting a new course of action: that of a November 13 match against either Miguel Cotto or Antonio Margarito. Perhaps a little background information might shed light on this development. Both fighters are in the stable of Top Rank, Arum’s promotional arm. This is predictable in pure economic sense. In fact, it would be an financial coup should this match occur; there is no one to share the profits.

No matter how others may dislike Arum, he is quite a genius! When he proposed this possibility to Pacquiao, he also dangled the Abu Dhabi and Mexico carrot. Uncle Sam’s feds could not reach the fighters outside US, thus saving millions in taxes. Isn’t that brilliant?

Of course there will be repercussions – which are already circulating. Many are questioning the merit of having the Pac go against Miguel Cotto at one fight away from the shellacking he administered last time they met. This notwithstanding that Cotto now holds a belt in the junior middleweight division AND that he is now under the brilliant tutelage of Emmanuel Steward. Few are giving Cotto a chance just the same.

As for Antonio Margarito, the luster in his career was tarnished and he continues to “deny any wrongdoing”. This stupid strategy has worked against his chances to regain his California and Nevada licence! Many are still angered by what took place when he fought Cotto. It is certainly risky to put him against a clean and much respected opponent in Manny Pacquiao. The underpinnings of this fight possibility are likely to cause some controversy. Many do not see Margarito worthy of getting in the ring with Pacquaio just because of that black mark in his record. Some would see it as an affront to the California/Nevada Boxing Commission which have not seen it fit to restore his licence! For pure boxing speculation, I see that match as exciting regardless just because of the similar style of the combatants. It will be pure action…but is it worth it?

Then along comes Dan Goosen, Paul William’s promoter. He has been beating his drum hoping to attract Arum’s attention. He believes that the “real fight” that should take place is between his boy and Pacquiao. While he is gunning for a rematch with Martinez, Goosen believes that Paul’s natural weight is at 147 lbs. And since he has fought every tough guy in that division successfully, then he thinks that Paul Williams should be given the chance to fight the very best in that range – MANNY PACQUIAO!

There are others who want to jump in the Pacquiao Gravy Train, like Bradley (who called him out after disposing of Carlos Abregu) and Berto. But one thing for sure, we won’t hear from Amir Khan (he was sparring partner of Pacquiao) anytime soon.

So while Cotto and Margarito have dominated the sports page as possible opponents (and there is a poll by Todd whereby Margarito is the favorite), there is much to be said against “orchestrated matches” by promoters who are all in it for the money (including Pacman getting in the ring with either fighters). To restore the faith in Boxing, there should be a SUPERFIGHT in every division like the current SUPER (SIX) MIDDLEWEIGHT ELIMINATION where top contenders maul each other to be crowned “best-of-the-best”.
If they can do it in TENNIS or GOLF, month after month, without loss of interest, why not in BOXING?

Gamer
07-21-2010, 05:25 PM
I agree aqua there should be a superfight in each division but with all the promoter issues and egos fights dont happen.There was a time that belt holders were mandated to fight #1 contenters with the threat of being stripped of title.Having a title made sure you would have a money fight.Now most of them will drop the belt for a non title fight because theres more money and avoid paying fee.Although now some figthers have two or three belts at one time.At least we will see a good fight whether pac fights cotto or margarito since arum runs the show.What makes it interesting is to see how pacquiao handles the weight.

aquariusone
07-21-2010, 06:22 PM
I agree aqua there should be a superfight in each division but with all the promoter issues and egos fights dont happen.There was a time that belt holders were mandated to fight #1 contenters with the threat of being stripped of title.Having a title made sure you would have a money fight.Now most of them will drop the belt for a non title fight because theres more money and avoid paying fee.Although now some figthers have two or three belts at one time.At least we will see a good fight whether pac fights cotto or margarito since arum runs the show.What makes it interesting is to see how pacquiao handles the weight.

I think Taco posted something about Pacquiao's ascension throught the different (higher) divisions. For an excellent athlete with such well-developed physique and sharp boxing skills, Pacquiao's weight disadvantage won't really matter much. He is at his ideal weight and does not have to worry about sluggishness. He could fight at 149-150 against someone with 4-5 more pounds advantage and it will not influence the outcome. Pacquiao's speed and rapid-fire power punches are his opponent's nightmare. :)

Gamer
07-21-2010, 07:00 PM
I think Taco posted something about Pacquiao's ascension throught the different (higher) divisions. For an excellent athlete with such well-developed physique and sharp boxing skills, Pacquiao's weight disadvantage won't really matter much. He is at his ideal weight and does not have to worry about sluggishness. He could fight at 149-150 against someone with 4-5 more pounds advantage and it will not influence the outcome. Pacquiao's speed and rapid-fire power punches are his opponent's nightmare. :)

I dont doubt pac will handle the weight.But then why the catch weights?Its said that a cotto fight would be at 151 I believe.If weight wasnt an issue why didnt he take the yuri fight for his belt and instead fought clottey?I read somewhere they were worried yuri was to big. So weight does make a difference.And if he fights at 154 againts cotto or margarito hes is in for a tough fight.Jmo

tacochuck
07-21-2010, 07:20 PM
A box off like the super 6 world boxing classic in the light heavyweight division sounds like a great idea to me!

aquariusone
07-21-2010, 07:36 PM
I dont doubt pac will handle the weight.But then why the catch weights?Its said that a cotto fight would be at 151 I believe.If weight wasnt an issue why didnt he take the yuri fight for his belt and instead fought clottey?I read somewhere they were worried yuri was to big. So weight does make a difference.And if he fights at 154 againts cotto or margarito hes is in for a tough fight.Jmo

Hmmm...not sure about the catch weight, Amigo. No, I don't say that weight is not an issue. It normally is in any fight. I guess what I am saying is that in a Cotto fight, I don't think Pacquiao or Roach is worried. (He has been there before.) However, a fight against either of them would be ..... well.... exciting. It will bring the best of any of them and it will thrill the fans.

A box off like the super 6 world boxing classic in the light heavyweight division sounds like a great idea to me!

Now wouldn't that be just fabulous Taco!!!!

KIDWCKED
07-25-2010, 01:44 PM
Much agreed Aqua.Mandatory fights build better boxing records and give the fans what they want and also eliminate alot of BS..Nice post!