PDA

View Full Version : High Risk---Low Reward For Pac/Margarito

The Cobra
07-26-2010, 01:08 PM
Cobra.....
The booking of this fight is kinda confusing to me--like Freeman soon mentions, there is little reward in it for Pac should he win either by a wash or a close fight. While I can`t see Margarito having much of a shot----but a puncher always has a shot and Pac we all have to admit isn`t that hard of a target to hit. I`ll be surprised again if the fight ends up in Mexico if California upholds their ruling. So...does Margarito have even a slight chance??---damn right he does, even at a depleted weight he can throw leather and anyone that can throw can cut--and Pac cuts. Pac may want to put a tad more thought into this one---cause if there`s ever a fight Margarito will train like a hungry animal for, it`s this one------and a hungry animal makes for a dangerous fighter. JMO

High Risk, Low Reward: Pacquiao to take on Margarito?
By Ace Freeman (24-Jul-2010)

Ace Freeman looks at the possibility of Manny Pacquiao facing Antonio Margarito this fall and weighs in on the potential risk vs. reward for the ‘Pacman’.

According to several reports, Manny Pacquiao will move forward with a Nov. 13 fight against the highly controversial Antonio Margarito this fall. Nothing is finalized and cemented until papers are flown to the Philippines for Pacquiao’s final approval and signature, but that appears to be a formality at this point. After the second implosion of a potential Pacquiao vs. Mayweather fight in the last eight months, the star Filipino fighter was left without a dance partner for his fall pay-per-view date. Top Rank’s Bob Arum has reportedly chosen a Margarito clash for his star pupil Pacquiao, opting to forgo a largely pointless rematch with Miguel Cotto.

According to several reports, Manny Pacquiao will move forward with a Nov. 13 fight against the highly controversial Antonio Margarito this fall. Nothing is finalized and cemented until papers are flown to the Philippines for Pacquiao’s final approval and signature, but that appears to be a formality at this point. After the second implosion of a potential Pacquiao vs. Mayweather fight in the last eight months, the star Filipino fighter was left without a dance partner for his fall pay-per-view date. Top Rank’s Bob Arum has reportedly chosen a Margarito clash for his star pupil Pacquiao, opting to forgo a largely pointless rematch with Miguel Cotto.

Inking a Margarito fight for Pacquiao has been bantered about for some time so it comes as no surprise, but the move will come under a great deal of criticism from around the boxing world… and for good reason. This isn’t just another piece to voice concern at the recently disgraced Margarito receiving a coveted and undeserved mega fight and payday. It’s to point out that this bout makes very little sense for Manny Pacquiao for a wide variety of reasons.

As everyone is well aware, Antonio Margarito had his boxing licence revoked by the California State Athletic Commission after they determined that the former welterweight champion and then trainer Javier Capetillo were using an illegal substance or device in his hand wraps prior to his January 2009 loss to Shane Mosley.

The Mexican-American, who now resides in Tijuana, is still currently unable to fight in the United States as all other national boxing commissions currently uphold his suspension in California.

Not only does that present some difficulty for a potential fight with Pacquiao (reportedly making Monterrey, Mexico the likely destination for the fight if Nevada won’t licence Margarito), but it leaves a great deal of boxing fans and members of the international media screaming bloody murder.

Many Fight Fans and a large contingent of media members are quick to voice their opinion that Margarito should never fight again after the aforementioned 2009 indiscretion.

While Margarito has fought once since the incident – a lacklustre May 2010 twelve-round decision victory over Robert Garcia in Mexico – the thought of seeing the tarnished fighter receive a high profile mega-fight against boxing’s top fighter has many in the boxing community up in arms.

A week ago Bob Arum refused to comment on the controversy, saying that the media would have the opportunity to editorialize on the situation if and when the fight was made official.

While the backlash as begun, there are some other important reasons this is potentially a bad move for Manny Pacquiao, and here is why:

Aside from the controversy mentioned above, if this fight pushes through Pacquiao is facing a large and potentially dangerous opponent who presents a lot of risk and in turn, offers very little reward.

Sane Mosley’s easy 2009 ninth-round technical knockout victory over Margarito will no doubt be used as a measuring stick for Pacquiao in this bout.

Since that time Margarito has been largely inactive while Mosley went on to lose in a virtual shutout at the hands of Pacquiao’s nemesis Floyd Mayweather Jr. in May of this year.

If Pacquiao struggles with Margarito, or (in a worst case scenerio) loses to the Mexican banger, the historic and lucrative showdown with Mayweather likely evaporates.

It might seem easy at first glance to scoff at this notion as many consider Margarito washed up, but it’s worth pointing out the Tijuana native will be far and away the biggest man Pacquiao has ever faced.

At 5′11 and with a 73″ reach, Margarito will enjoy a four inch advantage in height over Pacquiao, and six inches in reach.

Earlier this year Team Pacquiao passed on a shot at a junior middleweight title against Yuri Foreman, citing the New York fighter was too tall.

Antonio Margarito is the same height, but is stronger and possesses a much bigger punch.

While Pacquiao has shown in the last year that he’s a terror even to the most formidable welterweights, there still may come a time when he runs in to a wall looking to take on fighters so much naturally larger than himself.

With rumours circulating that a potential Pacquiao vs. Margarito clash could take place with a 154 pound title on the line, one can’t help but wonder if that is yet another physical advantage the Mexican fighter will enjoy in the ring.

Long before his loss to Shane Mosley, there was talk the 147 pound limit was becoming a difficult task for Margarito to make. Remove that self imposed handicap it’s very possible Pacquiao could be dealing with a fighter well above the middleweight limit when the opening bell rings, potentially giving up ten to fifteen pounds to his larger opponent in the ring.

Aside from the physical challenges Margarito presents to Pacquiao, he could also prove to anchor down the perennial superstar’s all too important pay-per-view numbers.

Pacquiao’s November 2009 victory over Miguel Cotto was a PPV success, doing 1.25 million purchases.

However the Filipino star’s next fight went to illustrate the challenge of approaching such numbers with a less marketable dance partner when his March 2010 ticket against the lesser known Joshua Clottey came in at just over 700, 000 buys.

The moderate success of the Clottey bout for Pacquiao ended up serving as ammunition for Floyd Mayweather’s camp when negotiations with Pacquiao (allegedly) resumed a few months ago. Floyd Mayweather Jr.’s May pay-per-view victory over Shane Mosley slightly eclipsed even the Pacquiao vs. Cotto numbers coming in at 1.4 million buys.

In the end this just goes to show that it takes two marketable fighters to do large PPV numbers.

How Pacquiao will do while matched up against Margarito remains to be seen, but if the Mexican fighter’s May 2010 “Latin Fury 14″ bout against Robert Garcia gives any indication, there is further room for concern.

ESPN’s Dan Rafael reported that Margarito’s return win over Garcia did an abysmal 12,000 to 15,000 buys.

If the general sentiment from the media and boxing fans isn’t enough to concern Bob Arum, maybe the potential pay-per-view numbers should be.

Anything less than a million buys for Pacquiao vs. Margarito, and Floyd Mayweather Jr.’s insistence that he’s the main draw in a potential bout with Pacquiao gains further credence as the brash Michigan native will be able to point to two consecutive Pacquiao bouts in 2010 that struggled to eclipse his one outting against Shane Mosley.

Yes, that may be unfair and an embellishment of the truth, but those attendance and dollar figures go a long way with television networks and serve to skew public opinion.

Maybe Manny Pacquiao blows Antonio Margarito out of the water and does it with over a million homes watching.

If he does it’s unfortunate that would be viewed by many as merely what should happen in a fight vs. Margarito.

The reality is that’s the best case scenario for Pacquiao in this proposed bout, and it will ultimately just seek to preserve the status quo.

The fight seemingly presents a great deal of risk when weighed against the potential reward, and ultimately does not seem to be a clever choice in match making for a wide variety of reasons.

aquariusone
07-26-2010, 02:47 PM
...but first, let me be one of the first to welcome you here, my friend. I knew you will find us...only a matter of time.

And now, our dilemma continues....WE AGREE AGAIN!!!! LOL!

I have posted somewhere previously that neither Cotto nor Margarito is a desirable next opponent for Pac. The reasons are obvious. In addition the idea of a catch weight at no more than 150 lbs is creating havoc amongst fans. Bad idea! Of course, one would be extremely foolish to ignore size, height, and weight advantage. Mar is 5'11" vs. 5'6". He has reach advantage of 73" and could balloon way past 157 lbs at fight time...maybe even 162!

There is little to be gained indeed by Arum orchestrating this bout....except by the promoter who would earn his commission regardless.

Pacquiao could care less who he fights. He just like to stay in shape. I really think that Tim Bradley or Andre Berto or even Devon Alexander could bring a massive PPV gate! A win against any of these would erase any doubts even in the minds of PACHATERS.

The Cobra
07-26-2010, 03:58 PM
...but first, let me be one of the first to welcome you here, my friend. I knew you will find us...only a matter of time.

And now, our dilemma continues....WE AGREE AGAIN!!!! LOL!

I have posted somewhere previously that neither Cotto nor Margarito is a desirable next opponent for Pac. The reasons are obvious. In addition the idea of a catch weight at no more than 150 lbs is creating havoc amongst fans. Bad idea! Of course, one would be extremely foolish to ignore size, height, and weight advantage. Mar is 5'11" vs. 5'6". He has reach advantage of 73" and could balloon way past 157 lbs at fight time...maybe even 162!

There is little to be gained indeed by Arum orchestrating this bout....except by the promoter who would earn his commission regardless.

Pacquiao could care less who he fights. He just like to stay in shape. I really think that Tim Bradley or Andre Berto or even Devon Alexander could bring a massive PPV gate! A win against any of these would erase any doubts even in the minds of PACHATERS.

Great to see you here aqua------we simply have to stop agreeing tho !! LOL
I`m guessing if this fight happens Margarito will go in at about 160 and anyone who knows anything will agree with us that "size does matter" esp with Margarito being a puncher. I don`t like this fight for Pac but I`m thinking "cuts" may be his downfall--- as you mentioned Margarito goes in with a huge reach advantage.
Arum and his kind will suck every drop of blood out of a stone that they can----re Cotto, Margarito etc making, promoting and hyping matches that would never be considered if the boxing world was flourishing. It isn`t therefore we get this kind of fight until they exhaust every revenue they can and get down to Pac/PBF.
Pac may indeed regret fighting Margarito and possibly in Mexico? Bad move Pac Man. JMO

aquariusone
07-26-2010, 04:31 PM
Great to see you here aqua------we simply have to stop agreeing tho !! LOL
I`m guessing if this fight happens Margarito will go in at about 160 and anyone who knows anything will agree with us that "size does matter" esp with Margarito being a puncher. I don`t like this fight for Pac but I`m thinking "cuts" may be his downfall--- as you mentioned Margarito goes in with a huge reach advantage.
Arum and his kind will suck every drop of blood out of a stone that they can----re Cotto, Margarito etc making, promoting and hyping matches that would never be considered if the boxing world was flourishing. It isn`t therefore we get this kind of fight until they exhaust every revenue they can and get down to Pac/PBF.
Pac may indeed regret fighting Margarito and possibly in Mexico? Bad move Pac Man. JMO

I will personally write DIRECTLY to CONGRESSMAN PACQUIAO to urge him not to take this fight. I will send a copy of my public letter to the top media in the Philippines for all to read!

The Cobra
07-26-2010, 04:56 PM
I will personally write DIRECTLY to CONGRESSMAN PACQUIAO to urge him not to take this fight. I will send a copy of my public letter to the top media in the Philippines for all to read!

and US ??????----I`m assuming.

Fibroso
07-26-2010, 06:30 PM
Then your telling me Floyd can beat Pac, height and reach advantage over Pac and much faster than Margarito. Ahh and undefeated. Cotto's rematch would've been the best option. Both own belts and can give Cotto, like he did Marquez, a second chance in a higher weight class. When you give a Rican boxer a second chance you better watch out cause they already know what you have. Steward will get him ready this time.

The Cobra
07-26-2010, 06:59 PM
Then your telling me Floyd can beat Pac, height and reach advantage over Pac and much faster than Margarito. Ahh and undefeated. Cotto's rematch would've been the best option. Both own belts and can give Cotto, like he did Marquez, a second chance in a higher weight class. When you give a Rican boxer a second chance you better watch out cause they already know what you have. Steward will get him ready this time.

CAN? he beat Pac? of course he can, ---but will he is a much different story. My take on this impending fight of Pac/PBF is that it`s too close to call as of yet----mind set of each fighter going in the ring will play huge in that fight. Don`t get me wrong--I WANT Pac to wipe the floor with the sniveling little weasel--- but can he? Pac`s style is made for PBF but I`d never question the drive to win of Pacquiao. Heart may well be the determining factor in this fight----also the reffing (re cuts) So now you`ll ask who`ll win I`m guessing? I`ll reserve my call till they fight (I hope) LOL.
I`d never count a Rican out---if they can get up ---they fight. Give Steward a little more time to work on some "D" with Cotto---something he desperately needed long ago. JMO

KIDWCKED
07-26-2010, 07:48 PM
CAN? he beat Pac? of course he can, ---but will he is a much different story. My take on this impending fight of Pac/PBF is that it`s too close to call as of yet----mind set of each fighter going in the ring will play huge in that fight. Don`t get me wrong--I WANT Pac to wipe the floor with the sniveling little weasel--- but can he? Pac`s style is made for PBF but I`d never question the drive to win of Pacquiao. Heart may well be the determining factor in this fight----also the reffing (re cuts) So now you`ll ask who`ll win I`m guessing? I`ll reserve my call till they fight (I hope) LOL.
I`d never count a Rican out---if they can get up ---they fight. Give Steward a little more time to work on some "D" with Cotto---something he desperately needed long ago. JMO

Great to see you my friend!!Is it me or is everyone worried about Pacquaio losing this fight?At least Pac will go anyone anytime and this definately is ppv worthy for sure..Can't wait..peace:D

tacochuck
07-26-2010, 08:03 PM
Worried about pac man losing?:no:
I think we are going to see him as prepared and focused as we ever have in this fight...
Margarito already beat Cotto and so did Manny so the obvious choice would be Margarito..
With such a large Mexican fan base nearby he will at least have a large enough ppv draw to make a little money...
Cheater or not he does pose a threat and would be a much larger threat literally if not fought at a catch weight...
As far as Mayweather beating him.. I don't even think he is so sure about that!

The Cobra
07-26-2010, 08:30 PM
Worried about pac man losing?:no:
I think we are going to see him as prepared and focused as we ever have in this fight...
Margarito already beat Cotto and so did Manny so the obvious choice would be Margarito..
With such a large Mexican fan base nearby he will at least have a large enough ppv draw to make a little money...
Cheater or not he does pose a threat and would be a much larger threat literally if not fought at a catch weight...
As far as Mayweather beating him.. I don't even think he is so sure about that!

Worried about Pac losing----not me------but Pac may give it some more thought before climbing into the ring with a much larger, out to reprove himself. possibly "hometown boy". It just doesn`t strike me as a good combo for Pac Man to fight. And taco is certainly right--Margarito poses a threat, and a real one. Hopefully Pac will be focused and hungry for this fight---he`ll need it all I`m thinking. I`d still be taking Pac by the 7th rnd---a repeated onslaught of body shots to Margarito would bring his head down to Pac`s size and then---boom head shot. JMO

jafo
07-26-2010, 08:45 PM
Imo, as I have stated before, I doubt this fight will last past 4th round. Especially now with the catch weight, which isn't going to be beneficial for Margarito. I just don't see this as much of a fight. I think we can all agree that Pac is faster than Sugar Shane, and Shane made Margarito look like he was boxing in molasses.

KIDWCKED
07-26-2010, 08:48 PM
Worried about Pac losing----not me------but Pac may give it some more thought before climbing into the ring with a much larger, out to reprove himself. possibly "hometown boy". It just doesn`t strike me as a good combo for Pac Man to fight. And taco is certainly right--Margarito poses a threat, and a real one. Hopefully Pac will be focused and hungry for this fight---he`ll need it all I`m thinking. I`d still be taking Pac by the 7th rnd---a repeated onslaught of body shots to Margarito would bring his head down to Pac`s size and then---boom head shot. JMO

Hmmm i wonder who Arum hired to train Margarito for this bout?Margarito was a work horse and probably still is!Expect the punch count to be high in this fight..Also this could be much more exciting than a Pacquaio,Mayweather fight..I except little or no defense from either fighter,just an all out brawl..Peace!

The Cobra
07-26-2010, 08:57 PM
Hmmm i wonder who Arum hired to train Margarito for this bout?Margarito was a work horse and probably still is!Expect the punch count to be high in this fight..Also this could be much more exciting than a Pacquaio,Mayweather fight..I except little or no defense from either fighter,just an all out brawl..Peace!

yup-----therefore the stand I take that Margarito "can" beat him. Puncher vs puncher has spelled disaster for many a heavily favored fighter esp when you add in the "cut" aspect.

The Cobra
07-26-2010, 09:02 PM
Imo, as I have stated before, I doubt this fight will last past 4th round. Especially now with the catch weight, which isn't going to be beneficial for Margarito. I just don't see this as much of a fight. I think we can all agree that Pac is faster than Sugar Shane, and Shane made Margarito look like he was boxing in molasses.

More than likely you`re right although I gave Margarito till the 7th before he tastes canvas for the last time. I don`t think the catch weight is going to bother each that much as I figure Margarito will enter at 160 or so----but you`re right in thinking if it is going to bother anyone--it would be Margarito more than Pac. I`m not a fan of this "catch weight" at all anyway---it`s just another way that Promoters can make $$$$$ off the hides of fighters that wouldn`t normally be able to fight each other. Times are tough in boxing LOL