PDA

View Full Version : Stricter Laws For Young Drivers In Ontario

The Cobra
07-27-2010, 03:42 PM
Cobra.....

Yesterday I wrote/copied an article re "Bend Over Ontario" that indicated some more fraud posed upon us by our insurance companies. Now who do you think lobbied this new law going into effect in Ontario. I hope nobody gets the insane idea that I`m all for drinking and driving cause that is ridiculous.
Zero tolerance tho? Isn`t that going a little too far when they make it a punishable law? While I fully agree that anyone driving should not drink period---making it a zero % law is insane. Who is behind this new insanity? Your insurance lobby !!! These guys will use the 1 beer your kid had as yet another excuse to gouge his already borderline insane rates-----more money into the Bank of Insurance. They will have every legal right to increase the kids insurance as they see fit for many years to come----and cite "it`s the law" while doing it. And why not?---they made the law under the guise of lobbying your MPP.

BTW---don`t let your kid drive if he has taken cough syrup or cold medicine anymore. Zero means zero and alcohol based meds WILL register, machines don`t differentiate. I`m all for "do the time if you do the crime" and "throwing the book at drunk drivers" but making it a crime for an under 21 (legal drinking in Ont is 19) kid to drive a car after 1 beer or a swig of Buckley`s is pure garbage. JMHO

The impending "punishments" if caught are not the real issue I have with this law----may the punishment fit the crime tho. The real punishment to the kid will not be what the Province or the lawmakers throw at him/her------they don`t mention it in this article(what a surprise) but the real punishment to the kid is what their insurance co. will do to them after the fact. Herein lies my problem with this new law----in the end, realisticly, the new law was made for, by and governed by your insurance provider not the good people of Ontario.

As per---The Windsor Star

WINDSOR, Ont. -- The province will implement strict new rules next week for young and novice drivers with tougher restrictions on drinking and driving and harsher penalties for other Highway Traffic Act violations.

Starting Aug. 1, all drivers 21-years-old and under must have a zero blood alcohol level when they get behind the wheel. Such drivers who get caught with any booze in their system could face an immediate 24-hour licence suspension, a 30-day licence suspension and up to $500 in fines.

Drivers in the Graduate Licencing System will also face tougher penalties if they violate any conditions of their licence, or are convicted of any Highway Traffic Act offence that carries four or more demerit points.

Those penalties will include a 30-day licence suspension the first time and a 90-day suspension the second time. Further violations can lead to the driver’s licence being cancelled, along with other penalties.

The government will make another change effective Aug. 3. Eligible drivers convicted of an impaired driving offence for the first time will be able to reduce their licence suspension by agreeing to install an ignition interlock device in their vehicle, at their own cost. The aim is to help impaired drivers change their behaviour to stop them from becoming repeat offenders, according to a press release.

twilhelm @ thestar.canwest.xxx

Read more: hxxp://www.windsorstar.com/news/Young+drivers+Ontario+face+stricter+rules+starting/3323684/story.html#ixzz0uteZkWqr