PDA

View Full Version : Ellerbe & richard schaefer lied to the media

aquariusone
07-28-2010, 12:57 AM
FOR THOSE WHO MALIGNED ARUM and accused him of concocting stories about the Mayweather Pacquiao negotiations that failed, this is for you:

Breaking news from philstar.com:
The president of HBO Sports has finally spoken. He said yes, there were negotiations that went on in an attempt to make the fight happen between Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Ross Greenburg spoke to Dan Rafael of ESPN.com, and went with Bob Arum’s story that for nearly two months, negotiations between Top Rank and Golden Boy Promotions took place.

Arum called the shots for Pacquiao while Golden Boy CEO Richard Schaefer, along with Leonard Ellerbe and Al Haymon, represented Mayweather in the aborted talks.

Greenburg always stood in between the two groups.

However, nothing came out of the talks, and for the second time, and for so many reasons that weren’t really that unreasonable, an attempt to make the biggest fight in history failed.

“Fights like Mayweather vs Pacquiao are significant because of these fighters’ ability to connect with sports fans around the world. It’s unfortunate that it won’t happen in 2010,” Greenburg was quoted as saying.

“I had been negotiating with a representative from each side since May 2, carefully trying to put the fight together. Hopefully, someday this fight will happen. Sports fans deserve it,” he added.

On May 1, Mayweather defeated Mosley. It’s been said then that was all that’s needed to seal the fight with Pacquiao, who just two months before that date outclassed Joshua Clottey in Dallas.

Greenburg said he’d always been relaying messages from Arum to Ellerbe, then back to Arum, back to Ellerbe.

A gag order was even put in place, and neither side would talk to the press. Until Golden Boy chief Oscar dela Hoya came out with a statement sometime a month ago, that they are close to reaching a deal.

But Schaefer came out with his own statement the day after, saying his boss was misquoted even if great boxer who was annihilated by Pacquiao in 2008 said it on video, over a Spanish network.

Arum said it’s Mayweather’s failure to meet a deadline for him to agree to Pacquiao’s terms and call the fight was the last straw even though the Top Rank chief said it could still happen next year.

Mayweather said he’s just enjoying his vacation, probably counting the millions he made in two successful fights against Juan Manuel Marquez and Shane Mosley, and wants to get off boxing for a while.

But his representatives had an entirely different story to tell, instead of saying that Mayweather won’t fight Pacquiao at a 50-50 split or that he continues to stand firm on his demand of random drug testing.

They said there was no negotiation that ever took place, and therefore, no fight between the two superstars will take place on Nov. 13.

Arum was also asked about the latest on the matter, now that the gag order is definitely not in place.

“The one you should all be taking to task is Schaefer for lying to the press,” Arum told Rafael. “You don’t do that. You can say ‘no comment’ or say nothing. Richard Schaefer owes an apology to the press, not to me, because I’ve written him off a long time ago.

“But now anything he says will be suspect. I don’t feel vindicated by Ross’ statement because that’s what happened. I knew what happened because I know I lived through the negotiations. I knew what I said about them was absolutely truthful so I didn’t give a damn who believed me. No skin off my back,” said Arum.

zoink
07-28-2010, 01:49 AM
There's conflicting statements from both parties, both camps are full of liars. But this what PBF's camp said at boxingscene.com

C/P from boxingscene
Ellerbe was surprised to hear what Greenburg said, but told ESPN.com, "I stand behind my statement 100 percent. Obviously, the term negotiation needs to be defined to those parties who are making these comments. Calling to inquire about what Floyd is thinking about doing is not a negotiation. There was never any negotiation. I respect Ross but I am 100 percent sure there were no negotiations."

Schaefer, in Las Vegas promoting Saturday night's Juan Manuel Marquez-Juan Diaz lightweight championship fight on HBO PPV, once again backed Ellerbe.

"I think it's unfortunate that Ross made that statement," Schaefer told ESPN.com. "I fully stand behind the statement I made. I have not negotiated with Ross and I am not aware of any negotiations that have taken place.

"If Ross or Arum wants to go through a lie detector test, we can arrange that. I can only tell you I have regular contact with Al and Leonard and there were no negotiations going on. I don't know exactly what Ross is referring to or what he is talking about. But I have been very consistent. There were none going on. Arum should just get a life and stop attacking me on a nonstop basis. This is really childish."

The Cobra
07-28-2010, 02:12 AM
blood tests, lie detector tests, he said , she said , they said etc etc-----what happened to good old fighting? Quite frankly I don`t believe any of them and am quite sick of all of it.

rokko
07-28-2010, 02:14 AM
There's conflicting statements from both parties, both camps are full of liars. But this what PBF's camp said at boxingscene.com

C/P from boxingscene
Ellerbe was surprised to hear what Greenburg said, but told ESPN.com, "I stand behind my statement 100 percent. Obviously, the term negotiation needs to be defined to those parties who are making these comments. Calling to inquire about what Floyd is thinking about doing is not a negotiation. There was never any negotiation. I respect Ross but I am 100 percent sure there were no negotiations."

Schaefer, in Las Vegas promoting Saturday night's Juan Manuel Marquez-Juan Diaz lightweight championship fight on HBO PPV, once again backed Ellerbe.

"I think it's unfortunate that Ross made that statement," Schaefer told ESPN.com. "I fully stand behind the statement I made. I have not negotiated with Ross and I am not aware of any negotiations that have taken place.

"If Ross or Arum wants to go through a lie detector test, we can arrange that. I can only tell you I have regular contact with Al and Leonard and there were no negotiations going on. I don't know exactly what Ross is referring to or what he is talking about. But I have been very consistent. There were none going on. Arum should just get a life and stop attacking me on a nonstop basis. This is really childish."
i do agree this is childish. after pbf beat his promoter mosley he issued a challenge to pacman. then he told the make a wish kid he was going to take some time off. its obvious mayweather and his goons planned to make arum and the boxing world look foolish. i think this has backfired on pbf. any rational adult can see this for what it is..arum is a prick but he is not childish

aquariusone
07-28-2010, 05:42 PM
i do agree this is childish. after pbf beat his promoter mosley he issued a challenge to pacman. then he told the make a wish kid he was going to take some time off. its obvious mayweather and his goons planned to make arum and the boxing world look foolish. i think this has backfired on pbf. any rational adult can see this for what it is..arum is a prick but he is not childish

Arum is no prick. He is a brilliant 79 years old Jewish super savvy businessman who rivals if not surpasses Don King as a boxing promoter. He was an attorney for the US Department of Justice, a graduate of New York and Harvard University. He organized the superfights between Marvin Hagler vs. Robeto Duran and the Hagler/Hearns matches. He was also behind the Sugar Ray Leonard/Hearns bout; Evander Holyfield/Foreman fight. Finally, he is a member of the International Boxing Hall of Fame.

BUT, as a shrewed businessman, he was also involved in great controversies and alleged anomalies. He was often reckless in his pursuits and widely criticized for his "questionable ethics".

Mayweather hates Arum! (Arum was Mayweather's promoter between 1996-2006 accusing him of underpayment and poor management.) This could very well have played a major reason for Mayweather's to ignore the Arum deadline.

Ah, OK, maybe he could be a prick. But like you say, he is not childish!