PDA

View Full Version : Strange turn in negotiations for Pacquiao-Mayweather bout

lpinoy
07-29-2010, 04:52 AM
C/P
By Bob Velin, USA TODAY

The so-called negotiations for a highly anticipated, but thus far ill-fated Manny Pacquiao-Floyd Mayweather mega-fight, took a bizarre turn this week when Mayweather adviser Leonard Ellerbe released a statement that disputed that negotiations have taken place.
The statement came after Mayweather said at a charity event in Miami this week that he was in no hurry to fight again and was content to spend time with his family for now.

Ellerbe's statement said, "Here are the facts. Al Haymon (Mayweather manager), Richard Schaefer (Golden Boy CEO) and myself speak to each other on a regular basis, and the truth is no negotiations have ever taken place nor was there ever a deal agreed upon by Team Mayweather or Floyd Mayweather to fight Manny Pacquiao on Nov. 13. Either (HBO Sports President) Ross Greenburg or (Top Rank chairman) Bob Arum is not telling the truth, but history tells us who is lying."

The statement came in response to a Top Rank (which represents Pacquiao) deadline of midnight PT last Friday for a Mayweather agreement to fight Pacquiao on Nov. 13 in Las Vegas. Arum said recently he felt the fight was close to being completed. Golden Boy President Oscar De La Hoya appeared on Univision last month saying the fight was nearing a deal.

Ellerbe would only say he stands by his statement and wouldn't discuss it further.

Schaefer, whose company is promoting the blockbuster Juan Diaz-Juan Manuel Marquez rematch July 31 in Las Vegas, said he called De La Hoya and asked him about the quotes.

"His response to me was that he was taken out of context and that he didn't say that," Schaefer told USA TODAY on Wednesday. "I was surprised when I read these comments from Oscar, because they obviously were not accurate. And he told me he never made them, but supposedly he did. I don't really know."

Greenburg and HBO declined to comment but told USA TODAY a few weeks ago that, while he wouldn't discuss negotiations, he said there were very few people involved in the talks.

Arum said Wednesday that Greenburg had been an intermediary between himself and Haymon. "It's the craziest thing I've ever encountered. I was dealing with Ross (Greenburg), and Ross was dealing with (Al) Haymon," he said. "It's no secret the negotiations were going on.

"I haven't talked to anybody on their side in a long time because the agreement was I'd only talk to Ross. They felt that if the representatives talked to each other, the deal would never get done.

"To me (this whole episode) is so bizarre it defies explanation."

Nonetheless, Arum feels the fight can still be made next year.

"We'd be more than willing to have the Mayweather people work out terms for a fight next year," Arum said. "And there's really no animosity. The only thing that chagrins me is (Floyd) should've come out right away and said he wasn't going to fight this year. But, to his credit, he's never said he was going to fight, either."

Schaefer said he can't understand all the fuss over, well, nothing.

"I can appreciate the interest from the fans for what many call the biggest fight of all time between Mayweather and Pacquiao," he said, "and I would like to see the fight, and my hope is that eventually it will happen. But if there's nothing to report, there's nothing to report."

Arum said he talked to Pacquiao, now a congressman in the Philippines, just a few days ago.

"He's just laughing about this (negotiation saga)," Arum said. "He always, deep down, believed that Mayweather wouldn't fight him. I'm not saying that myself, but Manny never really counted on Mayweather."

Arum said Pacquiao would fight Nov. 13 against someone else. That opponent will probably be disgraced Mexican Antonio Margarito (a Top Rank fighter) for the vacant WBC super welterweight (154 pounds) title. He was suspended in the USA for a year for using an illegal substance in his hand wraps. It will probably take place in Monterrey, Mexico, where Pacquiao would not have to pay approximately 30% of his purse to the IRS.

There will be a meeting in Monterrey on Friday, Arum said.

The 78-year-old promoter has come under criticism for not looking at fighters outside of Top Rank's stable as possible opponents for Pacquiao. Both Margarito and Miguel Cotto, considered the most likely candidates, are Top Rank fighters.

However, asked about Tim Bradley, the undefeated junior welterweight champion who called out Pacquiao after his welterweight victory against previously unbeaten Carlos Luis Abregu last weekend, Arum was receptive to a future bout against his pound-for-pound king.

"Bradley I do see happening down the line," Arum said. "He needs just a little bit more seasoning, but he's a terrific fighter, a great young man, and we would think there's the possibility of going to his people and (offering) him the main slot on the (Pacquiao) undercard (in November). Pacquiao-Bradley would be a great fight. Right now it doesn't carry enough weight."

Asked if he'd prefer Bradley to fight undefeated Devon Alexander before getting his shot against Pacquiao, Arum said, "That would be nice, but I wouldn't necessarily make it a requirement. The more name guys he beats, the better force he is. I just think he's a wonderful fighter, makes great appearance, talks well, and he's somebody the public can embrace."