PDA

View Full Version : ENOUGH IS ENOUGH - Marquez/Diaz Fight Interviews Horrible

aquariusone
08-03-2010, 02:55 PM
ENOUGH is ENOUGH

I have always enjoyed live play-by-play color comments by Jim Lampley, Emmanuel Steward, Max Kellerman and Larry Marchant. But the best one of them all was Howard Cosell. At every fight, what they had to say or ask a boxer always added to the excitement of the night.

But not last Saturday night at the Marquez-Diaz battle.

Somehow I have a suspicion that HBO is in bed with Golden Boy Promotions. How else could you explain why a winner was completely ignored in the “after-the-fight” interview? Why would Jim Lampley spend time with loser Daniel Jacobs and not with Dmitry Pirog? Touted as one of the best middleweights around with 20 wins and 17 KO’s, Jacobs was rocked solid by Pirog for his 1st loss. He was clearly in dreamland for a few seconds when he hit the canvass, yet Lampley continue to give him star status in the interview AND completely ignored the winner who was in the ring at the time - still undefeated.

Note that Jacobs has been on HBO a few times while being “groomed” by Golden Boy with 2nd & 3rd tier fighters.

Should the boxing world be looking more at this new Russian powerhouse, Pirog, than a “could-be-future boxing star"?

What about the Marquez interview at the end? Why would a decorated color commentator cater to a whimsical Marquez “dreaming of a trilogy” with Pacquiao? Marquez was a great fighter in his prime but that was in the past. Although he still possesses those fine moves and trademark uppercuts, he showed against a “little baby bull” that he no longer matters in the business. Diaz did not belong in the ring yet Marquez did not have anything in him to put a close to a chapter in Juan Diaz’s career. Diaz would do better as a lawyer, I am sure.

Lampley should have known better. Marquez would not figure in Manny Pacquiao’s future – ever. Mayweather could! Pacquiao is in his prime at a higher weight class. If Marquez looked like a lost soul in the forest with Mayweather, he would be a bloodied bull with a methodical Matador with Pacquiao.