PDA

View Full Version : Castroneves fined US$60,000, placed on probation

KIDWCKED
08-03-2010, 10:16 PM
c/p from tsn by the a/p
INDIANAPOLIS -- IndyCar officials fined star Helio Castroneves US$60,000 and placed him on probation for the remainder of the year following his actions at the July 25 race in Edmonton.
The penalty was handed down following a meeting between Castroneves and series officials on Monday, more than a week after the three-time Indy 500 champion was black-flagged for blocking Penske Racing teammate Will Power on the final restart.
The Brazilian crossed the finish line first, but the victory was awarded to Scott Dixon and Castroneves was placed 10th. He lost his temper afterward, touching one series official on the chest and grabbing another by the collar, actions for which he later apologized.
IndyCar officials penalized Castroneves for failing to follow the direction of officials and unsportsmanlike conduct.
"I let my emotions get the better of me," Castroneves said in a statement.
IndyCar president of competition Brian Barnhart cautioned drivers before the race to be aware of their lines and not to take any extraordinary steps to prevent a competitor from making a pass.
Castroneves had the lead on a restart with three laps to go when Power swung well wide around a turn hoping to beat his teammate to the corner. Castroneves edged out in an effort to cut Power off, a move Barnhart deemed illegal.
Barnhart said the rule is designed to protect drivers, officials and fans.
"Bad things happen when these cars touch and there have been serious incidents with major consequences on temporary circuits throughout Indy car history," he said.
Officials handed Castroneves a drive-through penalty. He stayed out on the track and his No. 3 car led the field across the finish line, though the flag man let Castroneves pass then waved the checkered for Dixon.
IndyCar CEO Randy Bernard said the series considered suspending Castroneves but opted against it because it prevent fans from seeing one of IndyCar's most popular drivers. The series runs at Mid-Ohio on Sunday.
"(Castroneves) is a great ambassador for this sport and we know his actions after the race in Edmonton are not indicative of his normal behaviour," Bernard said.
Castroneves, who lost the 2008 Detroit Grand Prix under similar circumstances, remains "disappointed" but is ready to put the incident behind him.
"I understand and accept the league's decision to penalize me for my reaction," Castroneves said. "I am ready to move forward."