PDA

View Full Version : Manny Pacquiao Can Fight Antonio Margarito As Tune-up for Mayweather

lpinoy
08-07-2010, 12:47 AM
C/P

Boxing fans from around the world are not at all happy with the upcoming match between Antonio Margarito and Manny Pacquiao on November 13.

But there is not much the fans can do at this time as Bob Arum, who serves as promoter of both Pacquiao and Margarito, seems to have finally decided on the match minus the venue, which is now a toss-up between Arlington, Texas and Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates.

In most boxing articles that carry a poll on the upcoming Pacquiao-Margarito match, the tabulated results show most readers are not happy with the matchup.

One poll said most fans would rather see Pacquiao fight Juan Manuel Marquez than Margarito.

Marquez has been begging Manny Pacquiao for a third match since 2008 after Marquez lost to the pound-for-pound king on a split decision.

The majority of readers who participated in the polls say a Pacquiao vs. Marquez fight will generate more pay-per-view buys than the Pacquiao vs. Margarito match and will be much easier to sell.

One of the heavy baggages that Margarito carries on his shoulders is the controversy behind the illegal substance that was discovered in his hand wraps minutes before his fight with Shane Mosley at the Staples Center in Los Angeles, California.

Boxing fans consider Margarito a cheat and a disgrace to the boxing profession after his boxing license was cancelled by the California State Athletic agency for violation of the state athletic rules.

On the other hand, the same boxing fans believe that a Pacquiao-Marquez trilogy will be a better option for Pacquiao.

First and foremost is the legitimate claim of Marquez that he should have been declared winner in his last two encounters with Pacquiao. On record their first fight was declared a draw by the judges while Marquez lost to Pacquiao on their second fight via a split decision.

In both matches, Marquez claimed he was cheated and treated unfairly by the judges. He said he wants a third fight with the Filipino boxer to settle the issue once and for all.

Three months before the upcoming Pacquiao-Margarito fight, bettors will only make a dollar for a five dollar bet, which shows Margarito is a clear underdog.

Bob Arum recently stated Marquez needs to prove his worth by first taking on legitimate welterweight fighters before he sets his eyes again on Pacquiao.

Then again, Pacquiao needs to fight within the year or he will get rusty. If he really wants to fight Floyd Mayweather, Jr. early next year (maybe March), Pacquiao must have a tune-up fight before facing Mayweather.

A clash with Margarito in November could very well serve as a tune-up match in preparation for his most wanted fight with the undefeated American boxer.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/430872-margarito-can-serve-as-pacquiaos-tune-up-fight-for-mayweather-match

Gamer
08-07-2010, 01:01 AM
I would rather see pacquiao fight bradley or alexander both are undefeated but marquez in last fight looked old.I dont think he would sell more ppvs with that performance.Jmo.

lpinoy
08-07-2010, 01:14 AM
marquez is old. but is old enough to kick back...:tehe:
I like to see this two in the ring. they give us a good show...

aquariusone
08-07-2010, 01:26 AM
C/P

Marquez has been begging Manny Pacquiao for a third match since 2008 after Marquez lost to the pound-for-pound king on a split decision.

First and foremost is the legitimate claim* of Marquez that he should have been declared winner in his last two encounters with Pacquiao. On record their first fight was declared a draw by the judges while Marquez lost to Pacquiao on their second fight via a split decision.

In both matches, Marquez claimed he was cheated and treated unfairly by the judges. He said he wants a third fight with the Filipino boxer to settle the issue once and for all.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/430872-margarito-can-serve-as-pacquiaos-tune-up-fight-for-mayweather-match

What kind of *legitimate claim is this? Marquez was sent to the canvass THREE TIMES (3) in the first round. One judge conceded that he made a mistake scoring the round 10-7 instead of the correct score of 10-6 which would have resulted in a unanimous decision against Marquez!

Secondly, Marquez is way past his prime. Look at his awful performance against Mayweather and lackluster work with Diaz. Pacquiao is bigger, heavier, stronger, faster, and in his prime. Boxing pundits are unanimous in their perception that Pacquiao will completely destroy Marquez if they meet today. What is the point in seeing that?

I agree about Devon Alexander or Tim Bradley putting on a better show. Perhaps they should have an elimination round between the two with the winner challenging Pacquiao -IF, and a BIG IF....he does not retire.

rokko
08-07-2010, 08:01 PM
What kind of *legitimate claim is this? Marquez was sent to the canvass THREE TIMES (3) in the first round. One judge conceded that he made a mistake scoring the round 10-7 instead of the correct score of 10-6 which would have resulted in a unanimous decision against Marquez!

Secondly, Marquez is way past his prime. Look at his awful performance against Mayweather and lackluster work with Diaz. Pacquiao is bigger, heavier, stronger, faster, and in his prime. Boxing pundits are unanimous in their perception that Pacquiao will completely destroy Marquez if they meet today. What is the point in seeing that?

I agree about Devon Alexander or Tim Bradley putting on a better show. Perhaps they should have an elimination round between the two with the winner challenging Pacquiao -IF, and a BIG IF....he does not retire.

marquez wants the big payday. he cant honestly think he can beat pac when he has to come up in weight to face him.pbf has already tested him at a weight that is to much for him to handle.i dont think margarito should be pacs next fight but it is what it is and i will watch this fight.i dont think pac has too many more fights in him. his family wants him to retire and unlike all these other bloodsuckers his family is more important than the money.in the end pac will have his legacy and all of this foolish childish bickering will be forgotten

zoink
08-07-2010, 09:36 PM

I don't want to see JMM vs PAC 3, but your statement doesn't do PAC any justice, that a boxer can knock another boxer down 3 times, and still manage to almost get a split decision, that's not good.

aquariusone
08-07-2010, 10:23 PM
I don't want to see JMM vs PAC 3, but your statement doesn't do PAC any justice, that a boxer can knock another boxer down 3 times, and still manage to almost get a split decision, that's not good.

Credits for that goes to Marquez whose fighting spirit had him fighting back and giving it the best he could. And yes, that version of Pacquiao failed to deal Marquez the finishing blows....but it would be a different story today!

KIDWCKED
08-07-2010, 10:49 PM
Is this thread start really telling me that Antonio Margarito is a mechanic and will give Manny Pacquaio a tune up fight before his Floyd Mayweather bout:noidea:LOL.Pac dosen't need a tune up from Margarito at all.And i'm almost positive Antonio will be firing on all cyclinders as well come fight night.Marquez is not an option at this point and definately not at this catch weight..Peace.........

charlesk
08-08-2010, 09:49 AM
Agree with some of you guys on Marquez being old, but remember guys, the only figther that gave a good figth to pacman was Marquez. I realy don't remember but i think they went 12 good round on both figths. In my opinion Marquez won the first figths.

just take a good look at does figths guys, it was a great one, on both figth.

charlesk
08-08-2010, 10:01 AM
I also understand that manny is a better figther at this moment, that the figther that he was before.

But i will like to see another figth with marquez and manny, even if marquez is old. lol