PDA

View Full Version : Blue Jays rookie leads 8-homer rout of Rays

KIDWCKED
08-07-2010, 11:35 PM
c/p from espn
Associated Press

TORONTO -- A group of fans wearing blue wigs decided against K signs for each home strikeout at Rogers Centre, opting for HR placards for each Toronto drive instead.
They got plenty of work Saturday.

The Blue Jays became the first team to hit eight homers in a game in three years, getting two apiece from Aaron Hill and J.P. Arencibia in a 17-11 victory over the slumping Tampa Bay Rays.

"I've never seen anything like it for a team that I've played for or against," said Jose Bautista, who hit his major league-best 34th. "It was just one of those days, the balls kept going out of the yard."

Adam Lind, Edwin Encarnacion and Lyle Overbay also connected for the Blue Jays, who lead the majors with 175 homers.

"I've played a lot of games and I imagine I could remember if that ever happened, but no," Lind said.

It was the most homers in a single game for the Blue Jays since they hit a major league-record 10 against Baltimore on Sept. 14, 1987. Toronto scored in each of the first seven innings and set season highs in runs and hits (20).

"You think they're going to get a couple during the course of every game, that's just how they're built," Rays manager Joe Maddon said. "I guess they made up for not getting any [in Friday's 2-1 win]."