PDA

View Full Version : 4 stroke engine oil

TurboPirate
08-08-2010, 12:41 AM
Hello guys, was reading the manual of my new pressure washer and it says after the first 5 hours of use the brake IN is over and need to change the oil, oil is SEA 30, now my questions is this, I live in a tropic area where heat is present 365 days, should I use SAE 30 or can I upgrade to 10W 30, miltygrade??????? Or should I use heavier like 40 or 10W 40?
Thanks in advance TURBO.

JCO
08-08-2010, 12:58 AM
Stick to the SAE 30 , dont go to a 40 or 50 its too thick.. And do not use the multigrade stuff.. If your in the tropics I would even run my cars on a staight 30 or 40 weight..You dont need the 5 or 10 it doesnt get cold enough there..

jazzman
08-08-2010, 01:37 AM
I'd use a heavy duty sae 30 weight, that's also what my 7 hp 60 gallon air compressor recomends too.

TurboPirate
08-08-2010, 04:04 AM
Stick to the SAE 30 , dont go to a 40 or 50 its too thick.. And do not use the multigrade stuff.. If your in the tropics I would even run my cars on a staight 30 or 40 weight..You dont need the 5 or 10 it doesnt get cold enough there..

I'd use a heavy duty sae 30 weight, that's also what my 7 hp 60 gallon air compressor recomends too.
Thanks guys, I also see in the manufacturer's recommendation a table showing what weight to use depending on the ambient temp, that is why I ask.

JCO
08-08-2010, 11:13 AM
I think the 30 weight will be fine in PR.. Check the table it may require 40 weight there but I doubt it.. Tables will give you a temp range with a min and max for each weight..

zoogor
08-08-2010, 11:40 AM
i work with small engines for a living and personally i use 5w-30 in everything but im not in a hot climate. straight 30 should be fine for ya

oak
08-08-2010, 01:57 PM
Aren't the xw-xx oils detergent oils and meant for engines with oil filters, while straight sae weights are not detergent and are meant for engines without filters?

zoogor
08-08-2010, 02:26 PM
Aren't the xw-xx oils detergent oils and meant for engines with oil filters, while straight sae weights are not detergent and are meant for engines without filters?

NON-DETERGENT ENGINE OILS are blended with high quality paraffinic base stocks and an additive package to provide resistance to bearing corrosion and oxidation, and low temperature control.

NON-DETERGENT ENGINE OILS can be used in automatic, farm and marine transmissions and gear case. NOCO NON - DETERGENT ENGINE OILS are great for gasoline engines, but not for the most modern high performance engines which require a superior degree of sludge control.

TurboPirate
08-08-2010, 08:08 PM

Nope, check this info my friend, it doesn't mention filters at all.

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/oil-viscosity.php
The table shows that if the temp is 80F or higher should use 40weight, so I am going to try 10w-40 with the mower and then the power washer, Thanks guys.

Crazy Horse
08-08-2010, 08:17 PM

The table shows that if the temp is 80F or higher should use 40weight, so I am going to try 10w-40 with the mower and then the power washer, Thanks guys.

don't use 10-40 in the actual pump of the pressure washer you need to use the sae 30, its non foaming detergent oil, 10W-40 will trash the pump, been there fixed that, as far as the motor on the pressure washer the 10w-40 would be fine........

I've been around pressure washers for over 20 years and am a certified Hotsy technician....

;)

TurboPirate
08-08-2010, 08:24 PM
don't use 10-40 in the actual pump of the pressure washer you need to use the sae 30, its non foaming detergent oil, 10W-40 will trash the pump, been there fixed that, as far as the motor on the pressure washer the 10w-40 would be fine........

I've been around pressure washers for over 20 years and am a certified Hotsy technician....

;)

Thanks, but not changing the pump oil, just the engine's oil, pump oil has a different specs on when to change.
I'm changing the engine oil because both mower and pressure washer reached the first 5 hours of brake in, then the oil will be change every 50 hours like the manual says.

JCO
08-08-2010, 10:15 PM

Use staight 40 Turbo those things dont like multigrade detergent oils...:innocent:

Crazy Horse
08-09-2010, 03:58 AM
Thanks, but not changing the pump oil, just the engine's oil, pump oil has a different specs on when to change.
I'm changing the engine oil because both mower and pressure washer reached the first 5 hours of brake in, then the oil will be change every 50 hours like the manual says.

holy **** only 50 hours between oil changes, it can't be a Honda....lol

I usually went with 100 hours between changes with mine......

at 50 hours the oil will hardly have changed color.....

TurboPirate
08-09-2010, 04:23 AM
holy **** only 50 hours between oil changes, it can't be a Honda....lol

I usually went with 100 hours between changes with mine......

at 50 hours the oil will hardly have changed color.....

Briggs and Straton 6.75 series, manual says if at 50 hours oil looks clean don't change and change it when color of oil is dark.