PDA

View Full Version : Don King Rips Golden Boy Over Mayweather's Treatment

Gamer
08-08-2010, 03:33 PM
c/p By Lem Satterfield

The headlines have been working overtime for nearly two weeks. Veteran promoter Don King and Floyd Mayweather Jr. have been spending a lot of time together in Florida. The headlines didn't stop this weekend as Mayweather flew to St. Louis as King's special ringside guest for Saturday's Alexander-Kotelnik card. The 78-year-old King is attempting to become Mayweather's negotiating partner for a third attempt to make a mega-fight with Manny Pacquiao.

Top Rank CEO Bob Arum, who promotes Pacquiao, made two attempts to finalize a deal for a Mayweather fight, and failed both times. King believes that he can make the fight with Arum, easily. Mayweather has worked with Golden Boy Promotions for his last four ring appearances. Top Rank and Golden Boy have a very strained relationship, which may or may not cripple any future Mayweather-Pacquiao negotiations.

"Me and Bob Arum can pull this Floyd Mayweather-Manny Pacquiao s**t off in two seconds, you know what I'm saying. I'm talking in two shakes of a lamb's tail. It would be fitting and proper for Bob and I to work on this because we're used to what it means," King said.

Many industry insiders have wondered why Mayweather is entertaining the possibility of working with King instead of Golden Boy. According to King, Golden Boy Promotions have not shown Mayweather the proper respect in their four fight relationship. He says the promotional company never defends him in the media and simply view him as a piece of high-priced property.

"They [Golden Boy] don't speak ghetto-ese like Floyd Mayweather does, do you understand? I mean, that's like hieroglyphics to them. So they may talk to the man like they're talking down to the man. Talking around the man. Or looking at the man in a condescending manner, you know what I mean? They look at him like he's an indentured servant when in actuality he's the hottest thing on the planet," King said.

"That's what it is. It's a disrespect of cultures. You must be able to respect people's cultures and to be able to know what they're thinking and feeling. You've got to be able to stand in their shoes. You've got to be able to look out of their eyeballs. Other than that, if you try to convince a man against his will, then he'll be of the same opinion still."

"Floyd Mayweather has the ability to self-promote to the point where they would offer him $40 million. But if he was with me, it would be $100 million. That's the difference. In addition, he would keep his dignity and his pride intact. They [Golden Boy] treat him like he's a cow or a horse, and like he's property. But you've got to get that s**t out the way."

aquariusone
08-08-2010, 06:48 PM
While Don King may have a point or two about Dela Hoya or Schaefer, he talks just as one would expect of the wild-haired cigar-chomping man - BIG.

He is self-promoting himself by kissing Mayweather's A#$. If he believes what he is saying about Mayweather's ability to sell himself, why should he need Don King in the first place?

Blaming GBP for Mayweather's turtle antics just does not sit right in any thinking man's book.

jafo
08-08-2010, 10:12 PM
Well, if he can get Mayweather $100 million to fight Pacquiao, I am not sure how Mayweather could refuse that. Of course, one of the opinions was that Mayweather didn't want to make any more fights this year because of the IRS.

Imo, Mayweather will fight Pac when all of his conditions are met and it won't be until next year.