PDA

View Full Version : Manny Pacquiao's Baiting of Mayweather Uncharacteristic

Gamer
08-08-2010, 03:38 PM
c/p By Ronnie Nathanielsz

Pound-for-pound king and “Fighter of the Decade” Manny Pacquiao has been quoted in a statement attributed to him, challenging Floyd Mayweather Jr and veteran promoter Don King with whom the undefeated Mayweather has been spending several days in Florida to “get it on.”

In the statement which contrasts with the usual humble tone and demeanor of Pacquiao, he issues a challenge to both Mayweather and King “Fight like warriors and brave men. I am the champion, I have the belts and I should not be the one challenging you. I should not even be the one trying to make this fight happen.”

In his regular column in the Filipino tabloid Abante, Pacquiao said that although there is no formal agreement between Mayweather and Don King he hopes Mayweather “ is serious enough in doing business with Don King and is not doing this only to save face. I hope Don King does the same in return, that he can make miracles happen.”

Pacquiao mentioned that a fight with Mayweather “is what everyone wants, that's why I am calling out your names. My promoter Bob Arum will be waiting for your call and will be very glad to hear what you have to say. The sooner, the better.”

Continuing in a vein so uncharacteristic of him Pacquiao went on to note that a lot of things can happen within three months and “if Mayweather is not really a coward, he needs to prove himself in the ring. I gave in more than what is necessary and I accepted some of the requests that Mayweather asked for just to have this fight go through. For now, Antonio Margarito of Mexico is the likely replacement of Mayweather in November 13, but for me, there is nothing more beautiful news if the Mayweather camp will change its mind. And I am sure boxing fans or any other sports fans will follow this very closely.”

In conclusion Pacquiao whose column was translated by Greg R. Penilla M.D of philboxing.com said the only way for Mayweather “to save face” is by fighting him adding “ Make the fight happen in November and stop using Mr. Don King for publicity stunts. He claims he is the best. He says he is No. 1. There is only one way to prove his greatness and that is to face me. I should be ready by November.”

While the statement appeared in a column under Pacquiao’s name, sportswriters who know Pacquiao well realize that at times he merely verbalizes or scribbles an outline and a ghost-writer does the rest. Given recent history it seems that a ghost-writer has taken liberties with Pacquiao's basic statement.

aquariusone
08-08-2010, 06:40 PM
Surely, someone has "taken liberty" in translating or quoting Manny Pacquiao. What is attributed to him is not in the character of the humble man from General Santos. He does not brag or trash talk. Whoever wrote or published that article could be risking his job or connection with the champ.

tacochuck
08-08-2010, 09:10 PM
Sometimes you just have to go out of character to draw the cowards out of hiding!;)